The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

THE DARK KNIGHT: I love the opening bank robbery scene. It's an absolutely perfect beginning to bring us back to this grim superhero world Nolan created in Begins. Also, all the Heath Ledger hyperbole's are well earned. One of the most captivating performances of recent years. Just brilliantly imagined menace. But I think the rest of the film is a sloppy pile. What seemed deliberately and brilliantly unformed and unresolved in the story arc of Begins, in Dark Knight, which requires a much firmer narrative hand as it is juggling all sorts of narrative threads and thematic concerns, this unformed, unresolvedness becomes a real Albatross. While I do still like the movie (for the most part) regardless of this, I don't get the cries of 'perfection' or 'superhero masterpiece' here. I think it is mostly a really interesting and ambitious failure. And mostly because I think Nolan is a great conceptualist, but not so great a director or even story teller. An easy 3/5 from me and never remotely in consideration for my list.
Yep. Pretty much agree, down to the rating.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I think Batman Begins is the slightly better movie so I voted for that and not TDK, however it is a great film.

I think the genius of it is that for 45 minutes it's your regular predictable comic/superhero affair, then from about the moment when the Judge picks up a joker card in her notes it's like the whole thing get's turned upside down and we really see something unlike anything we've ever watched.

13/14 years later and it's not held in as high esteem as it once was but for many it's still the pinnacle of comic book movies.

I still find it very jarring that Maggie Gyllenhaal took over form Katie Holmes as "Rachel Dawes", not that Maggie did a bad job but it spoils the impact of her death and continuation from Begins a little.

In the Mood for Love was #7 on my list. I like the two Nolan films also. 10 years ago Memento would have probably made my 25.

3. Yi Yi (2000)
4. Werckmeister Harmonies (2000)
5. City of God (2002)
6. Caché (2005)
7. In the Mood for Love (2000)
8. WALL·E (2008)
9. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005)
17. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
22. The Aviator (2004)
25. Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner (2001)

Also I had a bit of a post ready in reply to a certain "listanthrope" but I decided not to bother since, as you all know, he didn't even submit a list.

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

A system of cells interlinked
I dug my copy of In the Mood for Love out last night - it's up next for a 2000s re-watch.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
19. The Departed (2006)

The film that earned Scorsese his Oscar. People like to argue that it was an overdue career win more than awarding the film, but The Departed is a great remake and I'd still put it in the top portion of his filmography. I never saw the original, but the tension, skillful direction and dedicated performances in the film really elevate beyond the typical gangster flick.

Without a doubt, one of Nicholson's best performances. He's clearly having fun with the role. Just watch the scene when he pretends he's a rat and sniffs around DiCaprio. Damon does an adequate job, but it's obvious that he is overshadowed by some heavy hitters. Even Mark Wahlberg turns in a memorable performance, more so for his comedic timing than anything, but I quote him from this movie more than anyone. "Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe f**k yourself."

23. Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Tarantino should have won his second writing Oscar for this movie instead of Django and I'd point to the opening sequences as proof alone to that. It's a perfect opening. So well written, acted, staged and presented. The rest of the film doesn't match it, but is still really good.

This is the film that introduced the world to Christoph Waltz, who would go onto win an Oscar for his sinister role of the Jew Hunter. A mesmerizing and terrifying villain in a movie that features Hitler for crying out loud.

I remember the theatre collectively holding their breath during the scene when he orders milk with his desert in front of Shosanna.

Yes, Tarantino likes to think of this as his masterpiece and arrogantly says so at the end, but hey...he might be right.

Suspect's Reviews

4. Amélie (2001)

Such a fantastically whimsical film that I fell in love with on my first viewing and has held up on repeated viewings.

The colours of the film, the flow of the camera, the quirky characters. This film feels magical and 100% cracked my top 5.

I so wish Children of Men made my list. Really adore that film and I see it didn't really need my help placing high. In fact, I had to double check to see if I did vote for it or not. Could easily have been on my list.

17. WALL·E (2008)

Wall-E and Up were back to back for me. This film says so much in the first half without uttering a word. It's silent film and musical influences are clearly evident and it has a beautiful scene where they are flying/dancing out in space.

Pure joy when watching this movie. Even the more traditional story elements that enter into the second half make me smile. Well deserved spot.

8. Memento (2000)

I love this movie. Love the craft and care that went into telling this story. The structure fits perfectly with the character and how it's being told. This put Nolan on the map and I would absolutely love to see him revisit smaller budget films and ideas such as this one.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Matching up at #10 on my list as well,

The Dark Knight serves up, as we all agree, an extraordinary Swan Song for Heath Ledger, creating a truly memorable rendition of Batman's greatest nemesis, The Joker.
I've felt the chaos of the remaining film was an ideal backdrop for this "unstoppable force meets an immovable object." where The Joker could thrive, and The Batman tried to contain the Order at the cost of himself.

Like many comic fans, Batman rises above, and while I am on the fence with Bale's rendition, it does fit rather nicely in Nolan's scheme of things. Along with the solid cast, this is a large-scale Action/Comic Book extravaganza that, not once, has ever disappointed me.

Films Watched 66 out of 91 (72.52%)
1. Amélie (#16)
2. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (#21)
3. Ratatouille (#23)
5. Gladiator (#40)
8. The Incredibles (#36)
9. V for Vendetta (#58)
10. The Dark Knight (#10)
11. WALL·E (#13)
13. Memories of Murder (#27)
14. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (#76)
17. Mother (#96)
18. The Departed (#19)
20. Memento (#11)
21. In the Mood for Love
22. Downfall (#28)
23. Quills (#67)
24. Oldboy (#22)
25. A Bittersweet Life (One Pointer)

One Pointers: 10 out of 38 (26.31%)

2. The Dark Knight (2008)

I feel like this is the film that defined this decade. Really loved it when I saw it and still do now. It's the best Batman movie and arguably the best comic book film.

4. Amélie (2001)
5. The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
6. The Pianist (2002)
8. Memento (2000)
10. City of God (2002)
13. Lost in Translation (2003)
14. Sin City (2005)
15. Hot Fuzz (2007)
16. Up (2009)
17. WALL·E (2008)
18. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
19. The Departed (2006)
20. Battle Royale (2000)
22. Oldboy (2003)
25. American Psycho (2000)

I feel comfortable revealing my #24 as it has zero chance of making it.

24. Kung Fu Hustle (2004)

Hilarious, insane and action filled. Loved every minutes of it.

I've got 7 films remaining, with 9 spots to go.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

I feel like this is the film that defined this decade. Really loved it when I saw it and still do now. It's the best Batman movie and arguably the best comic book film.

4. Amélie (2001)
5. The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
6. The Pianist (2002)
8. Memento (2000)
10. City of God (2002)
13. Lost in Translation (2003)
14. Sin City (2005)
15. Hot Fuzz (2007)
16. Up (2009)
17. WALL·E (2008)
19. The Departed (2006)
20. Battle Royale (2000)
22. Oldboy (2003)
25. American Psycho (2000)

I feel comfortable revealing my #24 as it has zero chance of making it.

24. Kung Fu Hustle (2004)

Hilarious, insane and action filled. Loved every minutes of it.

I've got 7 films remaining, with 9 spots to go.
Made my list as well and thoroughly agree!!

THE DARK KNIGHT: I love the opening bank robbery scene. It's an absolutely perfect beginning to bring us back to this grim superhero world Nolan created in Begins. Also, all the Heath Ledger hyperbole's are well earned. One of the most captivating performances of recent years. Just brilliantly imagined menace. But I think the rest of the film is a sloppy pile. What seemed deliberately and brilliantly unformed and unresolved in the story arc of Begins, in Dark Knight, which requires a much firmer narrative hand as it is juggling all sorts of narrative threads and thematic concerns, this unformed, unresolvedness becomes a real Albatross. While I do still like the movie (for the most part) regardless of this, I don't get the cries of 'perfection' or 'superhero masterpiece' here. I think it is mostly a really interesting and ambitious failure. And mostly because I think Nolan is a great conceptualist, but not so great a director or even story teller. An easy 3/5 from me and never remotely in consideration for my list.
I appreciate the criticisms around Nolan's sloppiness (I think he's definitely improved on a technical level with his last few), but at the same time, I can't help but be endeared by how earnest and clumsy this movie can be. He brings actual actual ideas about the subject matter and tries to explore them. In a time when the superhero genre has all but extinguished any sense of spontaneity, his movies feel alive and like the work of an actual person. (The cast helps greatly.) I also respect that he seems deeply committed to showing cool shit onscreen, now matter how slapdash it might be. There's an intangible cinematic quality to his set pieces, that for me makes irrelevant any technical sloppiness or flaws that might be evident upon closer inspection. He's the ultimate dumb guy filmmaker, and I mean that entirely as a compliment.

My List
1. The Pianist (2002)
2. Donnie Darko (2001)
6. Oldboy (2003)
8. Gran Torino (2008). (#108)
11. Caché (2005)
12. Ratatouille (2007)
14. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)
15. Downfall (2004)
16. Dancer in the Dark (2000)
17. A Serious Man (2009)
21. Battle Royale (2000)
22. City of God (2002)
24. The Dark Knight (2008)
25. Bellamy (2009. (1 pointer)

I used to see The Dark Knight as one of the best superhero films ever made and also a generally great film. I used to rewatch it a lot and gave it top marks…

But recently it’s not worked as well for me. I still think there’s a lot about it that’s great, but the narrative is not that strong and while it’s ambitious and interesting it’s not one hundred percent a success. It’s problematic on several levels but I’ll probably still watch it from time to time.

So yeah, this Nolan didn’t make my list either. But its reputation is clear and obvious and it was an important film of the 2000s.

I saw The Dark Knight numerous times on the big screen, even on IMAX, and I'm a total sucker for its combination of super hero fantasy and gritty, violent crime thriller. It's also likely that Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker makes up a huge reason for this film's appeal, but that's okay. I had it pretty high up on my list, because if I'm being honest, it is one of my very favorite films of the decade.

My List:
3. Synecdoche, New York (#46)
4. Inglourious Basterds (#18)
5. The Dark Knight (#10)
6. Let the Right One In (#29)
8. Sin City (#47)
13. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (#53)
14. The Lives of Others (#41)
16. The Royal Tenenbaums (#35)
17. Memento (#11)
18. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#86)
19. The Incredibles (#36)
20. Lost in Translation (#32)
22. The Man Who Wasn’t There (#84)
24. Moon (#48)

Wall-E was my #6. Nothing will ever top my sentimental attachment to Toy Story, but if asked to name the greatest animated film of all-time, Wall-E is the answer. (The leap in technology between those two films, despite only a 13-year-difference, is staggering.) Pixar put a lot of faith in the ever-dwindling attention span of kids and adults, going 40-plus minutes with barely any dialogue, instead relying on the rhythms of silent cinema to maintain interest -- the ghost of Chaplin resurrected in a rusted, roving metal box with binoculars for eyes. It's a difficult feat in modern times, but words aren't needed to make audiences laugh or fall in love if the visual storytelling is strong enough, and Wall-E flexes Schwarzenegger biceps in that regard. I care more about these two robots than 99% of human characters in other films. Their romance is more charming than 99% of other romances as well. The oft-criticized shift toward satire in the second half is more faceted than credited. Heavy-handed, sure, but subtlety is overrated, and I commend the effort to drill environmentally-friendly, anti-consumerist messages into the technologically-raddled brains of children. As every grandparent screams, "Stop staring at that screen and go outside!" For a heart-warming, crowd-pleasing family film, the glimpse of humanity's future is shockingly grim. Gelatinous blobs of laziness and wastefulness, ignorant of their ruinous past, no agency of their own, oblivious of their physical surroundings, their entire existence contained in a screen inches from their face. That's not the future. That's the present.

Before Sunset was my #10. The best entry in the best trilogy, and one of the most romantic movies ever made. I find some of the dialogue in Sunrise too smugly written in a faux philosophical fashion, whereas the writing in Sunset feels completely natural, the characters more believable, the chemistry between Hawke and Delpy even stronger than before thanks to the real-life friendship they had forged. The characters have experienced enough in life to realize how annoyingly idealistic and hopelessly naive they were nine years ago. Their emotions now carry more weight. They've already missed out on so much time together and the hourglass is draining yet again (and in real-time, no less), as Jesse has a flight to catch, fueling that fleeting feeling -- the sense of desperation escalating as we yearn for these two kindred spirits to finally come together and stay together. "Baby, you're gonna miss that plane." The most believable on-screen romance.

Inglourious Basterds was my #14. To save time, I'll just copy/paste an old write-up with a few tweaks:
Flawed, incohesive, frustrating, yet also intermittently brilliant. I've seen several members say that they would've preferred if QT had turned the story into a miniseries rather than condensing the six-hour script into one feature. IB already feels like two different films with contrasting tones and goals awkwardly mashed together, so I would've preferred if he had split them into companion pieces similar to Eastwood's Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima, one focusing on the Basterds, the other on Shosanna. The most entertaining scenes involve the Basterds, with Pitt's mugging and ridiculous accent and the gleeful violence and humor that are QT trademarks. However, those scenes basically amount to Tarantino playing in the kitchen with The Dirty Dozen. I find the sections with Shosanna most compelling, and they demonstrate a level of maturity and sophistication QT has rarely shown. Despite my criticisms, I still adore the film. Waltz was perfect casting. Much like Samuel L. Jackson, Waltz accentuates the poetry in QT's dialogue. Multiple scenes are laced with sphincter-clenching suspense, with the brilliant opening a prime example. To me, the film is ultimately about the power of cinema. QT rewrites history, provides everyone violent catharsis by pumping lead into one of the most evil individuals to ever walk the earth, so it makes sense that so many scenes -- the climax, in particular -- revolve around a movie theater.

Spider-Man 2 was my #16. For me it stands alongside Logan and Batman (1989) on the superhero podium. It's been over a decade since I last watched it, so I can't go into many details. I'm sure the FX are showing their pixels by now, and nostalgia probably helps me overlook some of its flaws (e.g. Franco's limp performance). Superhero films weren't particularly common back then, and the few we got mostly sucked. Spider-Man 2 elevated the comic-book blockbuster to new heights. I've enjoyed several MCU movies, but most of them are plagued by focus-group sterility and corporate formula, where it feels as if the true director isn't the person behind the camera, but rather some suit-and-tie at a mahogany desk. Not the case with Spider-Man 2, where Raimi maintains his voice and sincerity despite softening it for mass consumption (the hospital scene certainly shows Raimi's horror roots), and every emotional beat feels earned. I can't think of another superhero film that possess a more sympathetic villain. The runaway train sequence is one of the most invigorating moments in any blockbuster. Tobey Maguire will always be my Peter Parker no matter how many others play the part.

Shaun of the Dead was my #17. Nimbly walks the tonal tightrope while juggling severed limbs with expert precision. Most horror-comedies fail to successfully balance the disparate genres, but Shaun is consistently hilarious without undermining the horror, establishing genuine stakes and suspense alongside well-earned pathos. Edgar Wright parodies Romero with love and respect, teleporting zombie-loving geeks like myself from the couch to the apocalypse with aplomb. So many clever gags and Easter eggs served with a side of brains and glistening intestines. Despite dozens of imitators, Shaun holds up nearly 20 years later. My favorite horror-comedy.

The Prestige was my #21. Fond memories of catching this in the theater before Nolan was a household name. My friends and I went into this movie mostly blind. We just knew that it starred Wolverine and the new Batman, and had something to do with magic. The intricate plot had us mesmerized and I particularly admired the script's moral complexity. No heroes, no villains. Just two magicians obsessed with one-upmanship; a tragedy of hubris as everyone in their milieu suffers as a result of their rivalry. It was unclear to me on that first viewing which character would triumph, which led to an unusually high degree of unpredictability beyond the clever misdirection that Nolan utilized so effectively. Repeat viewings have brought diminishing returns, which is often the case for me with densely-plotted movies that rely heavily on the element of surprise, but I still consider this a great movie and the apex of Nolan's oeuvre.

My List So Far:
#1) The Devil's Rejects
#2) Kill Bill Vol. II
#3) Kill Bill Vol. I
#5) 28 Days Later
#6) Wall-E
#7) Requiem for a Dream
#9) The Wrestler
#10) Before Sunset
#14) Inglourious Basterds
#16) Spider-Man 2
#17) Shaun of the Dead
#21) The Prestige

Seen: 82/91

Haven't Seen: In the Mood for Love.

Seen, Didn't Make the List: The Dark Knight. It was probably the best of the Nolan Batman trilogy. How could it not be when you have Heath Ledger's memorable take as the Joker? The film allows us to wrestle with how much is too much when it comes to fighting crime.
Still, they rushed the reveal of Harvey Dent and the other climax felt kind of weak. It's solid, but not enough to make my list.

Made the List: Memento. It was my number 5. You are placed in the middle of the puzzle and all you have to go on is what Leonard (Guy Pearce) is telling you. But as the film goes on, you have to start wondering whether you believe everything he's telling you. His memory is kind of bad so he writes notes on his skin and takes pictures to serve as a reminder. But can he trust everything others tell him? Or are they trying to twist the truth for their own reasons? The result makes for fascinating cinema.

My List:
1. City of God
4. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
5. Memento
6. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
8. Up
9. Million Dollar Baby
11. Spider-Man 2
13. Brokeback Mountain
14. Finding Nemo
15. Requiem for a Dream
19. Amelie
20. Kill Bill Volume I
21. Chicago (Just Missed)
22. The Wrestler
25. Gladiator

Honorable Mentions:
Remember the Titans
Unbreakable
Shaun of the Dead

Oh boy, you can count me among The Dark Knight haters, I guess. Back in the day, it took me two attempts to even finish the movie. I don't get why people love this so, and it would be my #1 on the list of the most overrated films of all time. To me, it's garbage, just like half of my list is to most of you

Seen: 48/91

My Ballot:
1. Let the Right One In (2008) [#29]
5. Watchmen (2009) [#87]
6. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) [#15]
8. The Descent (2005) [#80]
13. The Children (2008) [DNP]
18. Battle Royale (2000) [#77]
19. Chocolate (2008) [DNP]
22. Noroi (2005) [DNP]
25. Harry Brown (2009) [1-pointer]

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The Watchmen was supposed to be in my top 10. I may revise my list to add The Dark Knight, just so that I can replace it with The Watchmen. Then maybe send the update over to Thief a few times a week until the next countdown starts. Dunno.

The Dark Knight would probably score much higher for me without the Two-Face distraction and re-cast of Rachel. I'm just not a Maggie Gyllenhaal fan. There is some really great stuff happening in this movie though! Ledger's Joker is just perfect. As noted earlier, the opening sequence is tight and is right on the edge of plausibility, given the superhero reality in which this movie exists. You know, that space just before the plummet off a cliff red zone that The Dark Knight Rises so proudly leapt past with its ludicrous opening (even for a superhero movie). Anyway. I'm not writing much other than to waste some time at the office. I could fast-forward through to all of Ledger's scenes and be just as happy, if not more so, than watching the entire movie again.

*EDIT*
All said, props to bringing the dirt and ugly back to Batman.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear