Oscars - Picks & Predictions

Tools    

"I can't help it..."
Hey

Well, seeing as the Academy Awards aren't too far away, I figured its about time we start listing our picks. We did it last year, and it was quite interesting (I would like to mention that I got quite a few right... ).

So, post your Picks, plus; post the nominees you hope win - because sometimes they are totally different.

Pick - Who YOU want to win
Prediction - Who you think WILL win

(I would also like to metion that I have yet to see The Aviator & Hotel Rwanda... and when I do, I am sure that my list will be edited...)

BEST PICTURE
Pick: The Aviator
Prediction: The Aviator

BEST DIRECTOR
Pick: Martin Scorsese - The Aviator
Prediction: Martin Scorsese - The Aviator

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Pick: Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind - Charlie Kaufman
Prediction: The Aviator - John Logan

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Pick: Before Sunset - Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy
Prediction: Sideways - Alexander Payne & Jim Taylor

BEST ACTOR
Pick: Leonardo DiCaprio - The Aviator
Prediction: Jamie Foxx - Ray

BEST ACTRESS
Pick: Kate Winslet - Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Prediction: Hilary Swank - Million Dollar Baby

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Pick: Clive Owen - Closer
Prediction: Morgan Freeman - Million Dollar Baby

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Pick: Virginia Madsen - Sideways
Prediction: Cate Blanchett - The Aviator

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Pick: Shrek 2
Prediction: The Incredibles

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Pick: The Story Of The Weeping Camel
Prediction: The Story Of The Weeping Camel

BEST FOREIGN FILM
Pick: Downfall
Prediction: The Sea Inside

BEST ART DIRECTION
Pick: The Phantom Of The Opera

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Pick: House Of Flying Daggers
Prediction: The Passion Of The Christ

BEST EDITING
Pick: Collateral
Prediction: Million Dollar Baby

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Pick: Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events

BEST MAKEUP
Pick: The Passion Of The Christ

BEST SOUND EDITING
Pick: Spider-Man 2
Prediction: Spider-Man 2

BEST SOUND MIXING
Pick: [i]Spider-Man 2
Prediction: Ray

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Pick: Finding Neverland

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
Pick: "Accidentally In Love" ~ Shrek 2
Prediction: "Vois Sur Ton Chemin" ~ The Chorus

Well, thats all, really. I know there are short films too - except I have seen absolutely none of them. If you have seen them, by all means; post your picks for them too.
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

BEST PICTURE
Pick: Sideways
Prediction: Million Dollar Baby

BEST DIRECTOR
Pick: Clint Eastwood - Million Dollar Baby
Prediction: Clint Eastwood - Million Dollar Baby

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Prediction: Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind - Charlie Kaufman

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Pick: Sideways - Alexander Payne & Jim Taylor

BEST ACTOR
Pick: Don Cheadle - Hotel Rwanda
Prediction: Jamie Foxx - Ray

BEST ACTRESS
Pick: Kate Winslet - Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Pick: Morgan Freeman - Million Dollar Baby

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Pick: Laura Linney - Closer

BEST FOREIGN FILM
Pick: Mar Adentro
Prediction: Mar Adentro

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Pick: Shrek 2

Here are my choices for the big eight categories, plus two of the others...

PICTURE
prediction: Million Dollar Baby
my choice: Million Dollar Baby

DIRECTOR
prediction: Clint Eastwood, Million Dollar Baby
my choice: Clint Eastwood, Million Dollar Baby

ACTOR
prediction: Jamie Foxx, Ray
my choice: Don Cheadle, Hotel Rwanda

ACTRESS
prediction: Hilary Swank, Million Dollar Baby
my choice: Hilary Swank, Million Dollar Baby

SUPPORTING ACTOR
prediction: Morgan Freeman, Million Dollar Baby
my choice: Clive Owen, Closer

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
prediction: Cate Blanchett, The Aviator
my choice: Cate Blanchett, The Aviator

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
prediction: Sideways, Alexander Payne & Jim Taylor
my choice: The Motorcycle Diaries, Jose Rivera

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
prediction: The Aviator, John Logan
my cvhoice: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Charlie Kaufman

CINEMATOGRAPHY
prediction: The Aviator, Robert Richardson
my choice: The House of Flying Daggers, Xiaoding Zhao

EDITING
prediction: The Aviator, Thelma Schoonmaker
my choice: The Aviator, Thelma Schoonmaker

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It's amazing how little I care about the Oscars this year... I won't watch and will make no special effort to see who wins. Quite the departure from a few years ago.

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Best Picture-

Pick-Ray
Prediction-Million Dollar Baby

Best Actor-

Pick- Jamie Fox
Prediction- Jamie Fox

Best Actress-

Pick- Kate Winslet
Prediction- Hilary Swank

Best Screenplay ( adapted)-

Pick- Sideways
Prediction- Sideways

Best Screenplay ( original )-

Pick- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Prediction- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

There's no point posting my list because I Holden's pretty much nailed it (with the exception of Directing - my choice would be Martin Scorsese).

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
BEST PICTURE

BEST DIRECTOR
Pick: Martin Scorsese - The Aviator
Prediction: Clint Eastwood - Million Dollar Baby

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Prediction: The Aviator - John Logan

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Pick: Before Sunset - Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy

BEST ACTOR
Pick: Leonardo DiCaprio - The Aviator
Prediction: Jamie Foxx - Ray *sigh*

BEST ACTRESS
Pick: Hilary Swank - Million Dollar Baby

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Pick: Jamie Foxx - Collateral

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Pick: Cate Blanchett - The Aviator

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Pick: The Incredibles

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Pick: Born into Brothels
Prediction: Twist of Fate

BEST FOREIGN FILM
Pick: The Chorus

BEST ART DIRECTION
Prediction: The Phantom Of The Opera

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

BEST EDITING

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Pick: Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events
Prediction: Finding Neverland

BEST MAKEUP

BEST SOUND EDITING

BEST SOUND MIXING
Prediction: Ray

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

Ok, I am happy for Jamie Foxx winning for Ray, Hillary Swank for Best Actress and a few other winners sure.

My main problem, is that the entire program was just lame. This thing with presenters walking aroung 'in the audience' (and in the balcony ) calling out the nominations having the winners get up and talk 'in the aisle nonetheless to accept their award. Other categories' nominees all even come on stage at once as the winner is announced.

Now, here is a what I don't get.... the winner picks up his/her oscar, he or she carries it to their seat instead of the normal walking backstage and talking to the press etc... Morgan Freeman (for ex.) was holding onto his Oscar the whole time. As far as I remember, all Oscars are kept safe until after the program, till the winners leave the ceremony completely.

What happened to the Oscars this year?

I didn't have as much of a problem with the changes as I thought I would. I still stand by the in-audience presentations being very cheap, but the line-up on stage wasn't too bad.

And Chris Rock surprised me. I didn't think he'd be able to tone it down to suit the powers that be and he didn't do it He probably won't be hosting again, but he made me laugh my ass off tonight...

Stupid Sean Penn.

Originally Posted by jrs
?

...and who was Julia Roberts saying Happy Birthday too????
Well, I don't like Sean Penn to begin with. He bleeds an aura of sterness that dries up my soul. And I personally don't like his acting much. But to further prove his vapid nature, he can't even take a joke. He felt the need to defend Jude Law from Chris Rock? I think Tim Robbins was the only celebrity that actually took his hit as the joke it was and laughed it off.

As for Julia Roberts, if I remember right the name was Merva and I assume it was just a friend of hers...

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by jrs
My main problem, is that the entire program was just lame.

What happened to the Oscars this year?
I agree with you and I think alot of people are asking the same question this morning. As a whole hated the program last night....but there were a few bright spots. The ONLY thing I liked about Chris Rock was his suit. If the producers wanted to appeal to the younger crowd, Conan O’Brien would have been a much better choice and would have kept a classy feel to the show. By the end of the evening, I couldn’t even stand the sound of Rock’s voice.

Yes, and I agree jrs...they should have had everyone get their awards from the stage instead of giving awards in the aisles. It sort of setting up a class division beween the little minion people and the really important people, which wasn’t fair.

Also...a minor beef...they should have kept Josh Groban’s song “Believe” as a solo. It was irritating that they turned it into a duet with Beyonce. She had already had her solo spot light twice in the evening and was being shoved at us yet again. They should have let Josh have his moment.

What I did like...
I loved the spot that was done in memory of Johnny Carson. I remembered that bit with Johnny and Miss Piggy. Now he was class...

Robin Williams was kick impersonation Marlon Brando as Elmer Fudd and Jack as Bug’s.

I loved Jamie Foxx’s acceptance speech as well as Clint Eastwoods’, Cate Blanchets’ and the Editor who won for the Aviator.

Originally Posted by OG-
He probably won't be hosting again, but he made me laugh my ass off tonight...

Stupid Sean Penn.
Originally Posted by OG-
But to further prove his vapid nature, he can't even take a joke. He felt the need to defend Jude Law from Chris Rock?
I hope Rock doesn’t host again...and if he does, I won’t be watching...and I know several other people who feel the same way.

OG...why do you think Sean Penn’s defending Jude Law makes him vapid?

I’m not usually a Sean Penn fan...but I was last night. I’m glad he showed his backbone and said what he did...and gets my respect for it. Rock went over board and was trying too hard to be funny with dissing Jude Law and other ‘lesser’ actors.

Originally Posted by Aniko
OG...why do you think Sean Penn’s defending Jude Law makes him vapid?
Because when a comedian makes a declarative statement during his opening monologue, it ins't supposed to be taken as fact. When a comedian makes a joke, take it as a joke. Chris rock tore at Tim Robbins for his 'boring political ramblings' as he was walking onto the stage. What did Tim Robbins do? He laughed about it! Because that is what people normally do when someone makes a joke.

Not having a sense of humor makes someone vapid. Surely one could argue that Rock's humor wasn't funny at all, but even if someone doesn't find it funny I don't think it could possibly be mistaken for some kind of attack. So when someone feels the need to defend against an attack that never took place, I find it a rather telling sign of the extent of their personality.

I'd respect Sean Penn for taking a stance for what he believes in, but a necessary precursor to that is that his stance was ever threatened - and it simply wasn't. If that were the case, Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien (who I do agree would be an excellent, excellent host), Dave Letterman, Jon Stewart and a host of other talking heads wouldn't have the jobs they do.

Think of it in terms of a slanderous lawsuit. There was no tone of malice in Chris Rocks voice; Jude Law's reputation was never at stake. So when someone, infront of millions and millions of people, preaches otherwise it just proves they don't have a sense of humor.

But that is pretty much already evident from any time Sean Penn's face has appeared in the public eye. And going on "Will & Grace" doesn't go hand in hand with actually having a sense of humor.

He is vapid in every respect of the word.

I thought Chris Rock did a good job last night.

His monologue was funny and relatively short, the taped piece at the Magic Johnson Theater was a good bit (man alive do I love Albert Brooks!), and throughout the night he had good lines and kept things moving. I don't think he hit it out of the park, but it was a solid double driving in a couple runs. I'd grade it a B overall. I think looking at the ratings and the way he was received by the audience in the seats and on stage (Sean Penn's humorlessness not withstanding), they'll probably ask Rock back again in future years. Don't know if it'll be next year necessarily or if they'll try to keep mixing it up a bit, and I don't know if he'd even take the job again, but yeah, he'll definitely be asked back.

Albert Brooks would make a great host. As would Gary Shandling. But despite being incredibly brilliant comedic minds who are lightning quick on their feet, the producers of the telecast will never have them host the show. They don't have enough of the kind of brand-name recognition that makes advertisers and network executives get chubbies. And their deadpan styles would be feared too subtle.

I'd like to see Steve Martin come back a couple more times as host too. But as the Chris Rock experiment payed off for them, if they start trying new faces for the duty I'm sure they'll keep skewing younger rather than older.

I hope Conan O'Brien gets his shot in the next few years, and I wouldn't be surprised if he does (his work on other awards shows in recent years has been building a good resume for the job). I think he'd be very good too, lots of fun. Of course this is coming from one of the lone voices in the wilderness who thought Letterman was far and away the best Oscar host in the past fifteen years, so....

Jon Stewart may well start getting offered the gig, and while I love him and think "The Daily Show" is beyond brilliant, I suspect Jon will turn them down. I wouldn't be shocked to hear Ben Stiller's name thrown into the mix in coming years either, and he'd be a pretty good choice. But Shandling, Albert Brooks and Letterman are all at the top of my Oscar host wishlist...and I don't expect to see any of them actually get the job. Unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I'd like to see Steve Martin come back a couple more times as host too. But as the Chris Rock experiment payed off for them, if they start trying new faces for the duty I'm sure they'll keep skewing younger rather than older.
Out of the post-Billy Crystal hosts, I'd say Martin did the best job. Rock wasn't too bad either but he didn't do anything particularly spectacular. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing him back again, however I would prefer someone new. How about Jim Carrey? Or Bill Murray...

Originally Posted by Lance McCool
How about Jim Carrey?
God no.

Jimmy Carrey's awards show/talk show schtick, just like Robin Williams', has become incredibly stale, tediously dull and obviously repetitive. I'd rather see Marlee Matlin host the Oscars than Carrey or Williams. Please, oh please don't.

What they should do is take a cue from the Independent Spirit Awards: John Waters is a frippin' GREAT host. Truly.

God no.

Jimmy Carrey's awards show/talk show schtick, just like Robin Williams', has become incredibly stale, tediously dull and obviously repetitive. I'd rather see Marlee Matlin host the Oscars than Carrey or Williams. Please, oh please don't.

What they should do is take a cue from the Independent Spirit Awards: John Waters is a frippin' GREAT host. Truly.
I thought Williams was pretty funny this year and I've always loved Carrey, but I do agree with you about John Waters. He was amazing at the Independent Spirit Awards:

Just curious, why did Sam Jackson host them this year?

Originally Posted by OG-
Just curious, why did Sam Jackson host them this year?
I think Waters just wanted to take a break. He was still there in the audience, and he and Sam did a bit together at the top of the show, so I suspect he probably just wanted a year without the responsibility.