MovieMeditation’s Diary Reviews // “Come and meditate with me!”

→ in
Tools    

Hey, I actually seen those last two films you reviewed...I liked Mr Turner quite a bit. It is slower paced and I think a person has to be in a settled in mood to watch it. I forget what I rated it at, but yeah it's a well made movie. I could watch it again and I bet I would get much more out of it.

Hey, I actually seen those last two films you reviewed...I liked Mr Turner quite a bit. It is slower paced and I think a person has to be in a settled in mood to watch it. I forget what I rated it at, but yeah it's a well made movie. I could watch it again and I bet I would get much more out of it.
Wuhu!

Yes, I remember you watching and reviewing Mr. Turner - after all it was me who recommended it to ya. But anyways, this rewatch didn't make me think higher of the film or neccessarily get more out of it, but I became more sure of where I stand and more confident in my rating of it.

And I remember you liking Beasts, maybe my review will make you like it even more? Thanks for commenting, CR!!

MM have you seen any other films by Benh Zeitlin?

He's working on a feature film now called Wendy a fantasy adventure about a small girl. It sounds pretty interesting! and somewhat reminiscent of Beasts of the Southern Wild. I read about it at this link:

http://collider.com/new-benh-zeitlin...gua-this-year/

That was a very beautifully written review of Beasts of the Southern Wild, that you did. I can tell you really love that film.

Thank you, man. I appreciate that a lot!

And no, I did not know that. Benh hasn't made any other feature films as far as I know, other than Beasts, so I'm looking very much forward to whatever he comes up with next!

What's your thoughts on Beasts? Edit: woops, I just saw you hadn't seen it! Sorry
Yeah, haven't seen it. I honestly knew very little about it until i just looked it up. I remember it getting talked about and praised during the oscar season that year, the young girls performance especially. After that i've barely heard anything so i more or less forgot all about it. Just noticed it's in your top ten so i'll definitely check it out when i get the chance.

Yeah, haven't seen it. I honestly knew very little about it until i just looked it up. I remember it getting talked about and praised during the oscar season that year, the young girls performance especially. After that i've barely heard anything so i more or less forgot all about it. Just noticed it's in your top ten so i'll definitely check it out when i get the chance.
Yeah, honestly the film is best viewed as an indie flick instead of the Oscar-hyped movie that is in my top 10.

It's a unique and different kind of movie; I don't really know if you'll like it.

Yeah, honestly the film is best viewed as an indie flick instead of the Oscar-hyped movie that is in my top 10.

It's a unique and different kind of movie; I don't really know if you'll like it.
i like unique and different kind

Nah, we'll see. Looks interesting anyway, really unique top ten film. My top ten is boringly standard, but those are just the ones i love the most, nothing that i can do about that other than lie haha.

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... viewing day count
253 .......................... 290

October 17th

—— 2015 ——
VACATION
—— comedy ——

When the first trailer for this film was released,
I was honestly surprised how hilarious it looked to become

When the first trailer for this film was released, I was honestly surprised at how hilarious it looked to become. It was a new and raunchier version of the old formula and with a self-awareness and crazier attitude. I thought the jokes hit the spot pretty well and I was honestly looking forward to it. Unfortunately, the end result was a desperately unfunny attempt to cash in on the title of the film while making another generic comedy. The two directors seemed to have gotten a lot of creative freedom, which I thought was a huge positive when I saw the trailer, but the actual movie ended up as a pretty messy and erratic affair...

To put it straight, this movie is not even close to being as good as I hoped when the first trailer dropped, yet it still isn’t as bad as I feared when it got seriously panned by critics upon release. The main reason I don’t completely mangle this mess myself is because there were a few selected scenes, which actually had me either laughing or grinning, despite of those moments mainly being recalled memories from the trailer. There are a few good jokes, most in the trailers, some fun ideas, most underdeveloped, and a generally likable and diverse cast, though I’m not an Ed “overacting” Helms fan. I didn’t hate myself for sitting through this, but only because it was tolerable though cheap entertainment. I remember letting out two short-lived laughs, a couple of quick chuckles, all the while the rest of the runtime pretty much had me going “oh, yeah, I see your joke there… nice try, but try again…”

Another problem was how a lot of it felt like throwaway gags, which had me wondering how the hell those scenes even ended up in the final film. The story was widely inconsistent, incomprehensible and totally unimaginative. Considering those few moments of brilliance, a lot of it relied on past nostalgia or pure vulgar nonsense with a shock factor. Some of the scenes were just the right amount of raunchy, but those were mainly the brief bursts of crude comedy, which came and went, without overstaying its welcome. But unfortunately that wasn’t how it worked out all the time. ‘Vacation’ isn’t a good film by any means, but the moments that had me laughing together with a mostly likable cast – despite how plain their characters were – at least made it manageable to sit through. And I have to admit, they did get one thing right… and that is the title… it really did look like everybody had taken an early vacation while making this movie.

-

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
253 .......................... 290

October 18th

—— 1990 ——
THE
RESCUERS

DOWN UNDER

—— animation ——
DISNEY CLASSIC no.29

REWATCH
The Disney Studios come to the rescue with their first ever follow-up
to one of the all-time classic animated films...

The 1977 original was one of my favorite films as a kid and this makes this marks my second revisit of the sequel within adulthood. I always liked the successor as well, though I was slightly let down last time I went down under with Bernard and Bianca. I think it held up better this time around, though the movie still doesn’t succeed in making it half way around the world and coming out on top again. There are a few flashes of direct-to-dvd moments, but it is still a solid affair, though definitely not Disney at their very best or most revolutionary. So will ‘The Rescuers Down Under’ raise above all of this nonetheless?

'The Rescuers Down Under' was released around unfortunate times and under unlucky circumstances, because of being put out in the middle of a milestone in animation, The Disney Renaissance, and being the first ever follow-up in a fine line of films beginning way back in 1939. All that won’t directly make or break the movie, but the sensation and reputation of it comes crammed in between two masterpieces in movie history, which are further made inside a decade-defining era in animation. The movie may be a fine film on its own; it just can’t compete or should even be compared with what came before it or after it. So when watching and rating this as the stand-alone feature film it should be, there is plenty of fun to be had, but it is still missing the scope and sentiment of the greatest successes of the studio.

As mentioned previously, the past original film is one of my favorites, even as of today, but despite not matching the same heights as its predecessor, it moves down under the wide scale and succeeds in not coming out pale in comparison. There is still something to be had, held and felt with this film, even when it isn’t as epic or impactful as other entries in the Disney classic line. It is arguably more fun and free from any form or formal story, taking a much simpler tale and bringing the audience through a wild ride in the Australian outback. And despite of a slightly generic and go-to story, with an admittedly important theme, Disney actually used some new and inventive visual techniques here, with some realistic background blur and a great sense of depth and movement. The soundtrack was also great, memorable and very fitting for the movie as well.

The themes about poaching, animals in captivity and kidnapping were all very dark and mature when thinking about. There was even a villain who was screwed up and sadistic enough to fit the bill just fine. Unfortunately, most of the side characters whom we bump into were a little flat, but some did hold a certain charm to them, which made them memorable despite their minor appearances. Some scenes with Wilbur were amusing enough, especially the operating scenes, and the little lizard, Frank, had his moments when he cracked the shell of his clichés. But as we know, this is all about Bernard and Bianca and the return of their respective voice actors! Bernard's side story about proposing was fun and sweet and his screen presence and personality is wonderful. Bianca is prettier than ever here and continues to be just about the closest Disney ever got to making the audience fall in love with a female mouse or any other animal for that matter.

Anyways, this sequel was worthy enough of its predecessor and just about good enough to be a Disney classic, though I wouldn't mind if it wasn't – especially since that would make it a truly great ‘unofficial’ sequel instead of a passable Disney classic. Nevertheless, this is a fun little film about big adventures that could have come out at a better time and under better circumstances...

+

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
254 .......................... 291

October 19th

—— 2015 ——
S I C A R I O
—— crime ——
CINEMA REVIEWS

In Spanish Sicario means hitman...

CLICK HERE TO CROSS THE BORDER

I loved the beginning, but then I was looking for more action the rest of the movie.
I kind of agree. It sort of peaks at the highway crossing.

But it is just too damn well made, well acted, well directed, well scored etc. to give it a much lower score than that.

Okay, that's 7 movie updates in 2 days, 5 of them being full and longer-than-usual write-ups... I think that'll do it for now.

I got reviews coming up for Inside Out, Back to the Future Trilogy, Shame, Beauty and the Beast, The Raid Duology, Fright Night and many more Disney classics as well!

Stay tuned!

Master of My Domain
Finally watched Inside Out, way after a lot of crap movies. Poor choice, young man. Anyways can't wait to read your review.

Finally watched Inside Out, way after a lot of crap movies. Poor choice, young man. Anyways can't wait to read your review.
Man, screw you.

I hope you fall backwards into a swimming pool and die.