Top 10 Action Sequences

Tools    

that was pretty good, but i prefer the big chase in 'the french connection'.
also, the huge smash-up at the end of 'american werewolf in london', the transformation sequence in 'akira,' and the awesome opening fight in 'horus: the little norse prince': some little kid takes out about fifty wolves with an axe on a rope.
hmm, others include the ludicrous end shootout in 'tokyo drifter,' the slapstick wrestling match in 'red beard (akahige)', the wackie street chase and such from 'the lady from shanghai,' the big flying rescue in 'nausicaa,' and all the stopmotion chase sequences in 'tetsuo: the iron man.'

Follow the White Rabbit ...
Originally posted by linespalsy
the transformation sequence in 'akira,'
If you're going to go down the anime side of things, then it would be a crime to leave out Macross Plus' breathtaking action sequences. With a "second-to-none" thriller storyline; it is a cross between a huge soap opera and a masterful sci-fi epic. Dynamic rudimentary action scenes accompany a plethora of haunting music tracks as the OAV approaches it's presage; anime's best thus far. Not to mention one of the greatest mech battles ever filmed.

Seraph of the Void
The Battle between the GP01 & GP02 in Gundam 0083 Stardust memories was pretty good.

The airplane Battle in Porco Russo (the Crimson Pig )

For anime

For movies
The Samurai battles in Kurosawa's Ran were amazing.
"When I said my quarters were cold, I did not mean "Oh, I think it is a little chilly in here. Perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed." No! I said it was cold! As in, "Oh look - my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor!"

yeah, i would actually like to go down the 'anime side of things':
hmm, i agree that macross plus had some great dogfights, but i'm actually not that big a fan of the story for that one. too.....top gun-esque, not as good as the early pre-gonzo stuff: original macross (1982), do you remember love (1984?), super dimension century orguss (1984?), etcetera. and i still prefer the flight sequences for most of miyazaki's movies (good one, azhranx, porco rosso ('92) is great): nausicaa ('84), laputa ('86), totoro ('88), kiki's delivery service ('89)......but if you're going to mention series, and not just stick to movies, i'll have to bring up 'future boy conan' ('79).....for animated physical comedy/action, it rivals the fleischers at their prime in terms of invention.
still, i'll have to go with akira ('88) and the ever-classic miyazaki/takahata double whamy, 'horus' ('68.)
as for gundam, i find the violence and action in '0080: war in the pocket' the most exceptionally intense, probably because the rarity and brutality of it in terms of the plot causes those scenes to stand out more.

Great topic!

A few that pop into my head:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Most of the movie actually but I've always loved the bar fight.

Matrix - As was mentioned before, the lobby shooting spree. Great way to showcase a new surround system.

Heat - The shootout... fantastic scene!

The French Connection - Arguably the greatest car chase of all time.

Bullitt - Ditto

Drunken Master 2 - The final 20 minute battle, including the hot coals sequence.

Evil Dead 2 - Bruce Campbell battling his hand.

Rocky - Fight with Apollo "Cut me, Mick. Cut me"

Superman 2 - 1 on 3 baby with manhole covers and flagpoles thrown in for good measure!

Month Python and the Holy Grail - King Arthur vs. the Black Knight. Still puts me on the floor laughing

Miller's Crossing - Holden put me onto this earlier this year and I must say it's now one of my favorite scenes, period!

Kickboxer - Jean Claude vs. Bolo Yeung. Guilty pleasure to the extreme!

Mean Streets - The bar fight with DeNiro and Keitel, very realistic.

Die Hard - Pretty much the entire movie!

Scarface - Say hello to my little friend!

Cool Hand Luke - Luke vs. Dragline... absolute classic!

Fight Club - Jack vs. Jack

A Christmas Story - The revenge scene vs. the bully.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
1. Ben Hur - Chariot Race
2. Apocolypse Now - Helicopter Attack
3. North by Northwest - Crop Duster
4. The Wild Bunch - End shootout
5. Blade Runner - Deckard Enters the Bradbury building
6. The French Connection - Under the L
7. Spartacus - Douglas vs Strode
8. The Good the Bad and the Ugly - blow up the bridge.
9. Bullitt - Car Chase
10. Taxi Driver - The end shootout

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

I dont know if this techniqually counts but in Swordfish straigh after the first hostage gets blown up, that whole Matrix like sequence was brillent, IMO

WAY OF THE GUN>
The final showdown (lots of gun fire)

STARSHIP TROOPERS>
The Scenes at the colony site and the home plant
of the bugs.

Thought of another.

BLADE> The bloodrave in the slaughter house.

Hmmm.

All of these movies have some memorable action, but I would have to say that Hard Boiled and The Killer are the two greatest action movies ever filmed. The sheer number of gun battles, the amazing choreography, and the masterful-coolness of Chow Yun Fat blows every other movie away.

Uh. Yes. If you have not seen those two movies, go rent them or buy them right now! Thank you.

I Love the Part in Black Hawk Down where Gary Gordon and Randy Shugart hold off an enraged Somali mob for over 2 hours (only a couple of minutes in the movie) using only their sniper rifles and sidearms

lethal weapon 4- wah sing ku(jet li) beats the absolute crap out of(riggs) gibson and(murtaugh) glover, and they only win be default (anyone can shoot an un-armed man)

die hard- all of them!but most notable would be die harder, mclane versus about 6 guys with sub-machine guns

face off- the runway scene, super cool, and the boat chase,excellent

scarface- say 'ello to my leetle fren!

gone in 60 seconds-the chase with detetive drycoff and "elenor"

and of course, all of those others you mentioned, that i wont mention, because youve heard them all before

I must become Caligari..!
The knife fight out the front of the planateruim in rebel with out a cause

#1-Duel of Fates Showdown-Star Wars Episode II: The Phantom Menace
#2 Jedi Showdown with Dooku (especially when Yoda kicks some booty!)-Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
#3 Clone/Droid Battle Scene-Star Wars Episode II:
#4 Neo and Agent Fight in the Subway-The Matrix
#5 Cradle Battle- Goldeneye
#6 Cyberdyne Warzone- T2: Judgement Day
#7 Battle for the Future: T-1000 against T-800 (final sequence)- T2: Judgement Day
#8 Immortal Kombat- Lu Kang Vs. Shang Tsun (however you spell his name)-Mortal Kombat
#9 Final Battle for the Kingdom- The Scorpion King
#10 Ending- Fast and the Furious

not in order

pulp fiction- from the car crash involving butch and marsellis, to the shotgun blow to zed in the basement of assbanging pawn shop r' us. AWESOME parts

resevoir dogs

the running down the street battle with the cops with harvey keitel, where the undercover cop gets shot by the lady in the car and he shoots her and kills her on instinct, even though he's undercover, incredible scene, plus when harvey keitel takes out the cops dual pistol style, golden moment...

young guns

the entire house scene is insane at the end of the movie, where they're all trapped upstairs and then a guy pops out of the box down in front of the house which they threw out the window and starts shooting, "i'll make ya famous." -billy the kid (emilio estevez)

the usual suspects

the boat scene at the end where they're all playing their respected roles, mcmanus (stephen baldwin) sniper on the roof, kevin pollack the bomb guy spraying the side of the boat with his mp5, dean keaton dual pistol style shooting the guy in the back, incredible scenes

desperado

the bar fight scene, (whats in the guitar case?) right after quientin terrantino tells the joke to the bartender, that entire scene is just ridiculous gun fighting.

god i love movies....

Seen it being mentioned only once so I'll mention it again...

THE BOONDOCK SAINTS
All the action sequences are cool, but my favourite is the shootout after they leave the poker game place.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	boon shoot2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	558  

that scene rules frutcake, that whole movie is great.

Could'nt agree with you more man.