Films With Loooong Shots.

Tools    

"I can't help it..."
I'm making a short film for school and am planning to do the entire short in one big "epic" shot. But, I need to compare my film to others of it's kind - so, could anyone help me with films that have long shots in them? If so, it would be very much appreciated

Oh, and not Russian Ark. That's a given
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

A system of cells interlinked
Rope (Hitchcock, 1948)

The opening of Boogie Nights is all done in one shot i believe. Before Sunset and Before Sunrise also have a series of long shots.

Originally Posted by liam5000
I'm making a short film for school and am planning to do the entire short in one big "epic" shot. But, I need to compare my film to others of it's kind - so, could anyone help me with films that have long shots in them? If so, it would be very much appreciated
Scorsese has a couple that are very celebrated and elaborate, though they only run two or three minutes (but my oh my what he accomplishes with them in that time).

The most famous is the scene in GoodFellas where Henry takes Karen into the Copacabana through the service entrance. The shot starts at about 31:30 in the movie as Henry hands his keys to somebody across the street. They walk around the line waiting to get in and down a flight of stairs. From there it's through some dark hallways, into the kitchen crowded with a couple dozen employees, emerging in the club. The Materde sees Henry, waves him to the front of the line, and commands that a new table be brought out for him. We then follow the table all the way through the restaurant and it is placed just in front of the stage. A lamp is plugged in and place settings placed, Henry palms everybody who helped twenty dollar bills, he and Karen are seated. Henry greets a few people in the surrounding area and a bottle of champaign is sent to their table. Karen asks, "What do you do?" to which Henry replies, "I'm in construction." She takes his smooth hands and says, "You don't feel like you're in construction" and Henry's explanation is, "Well, I'm a union delegate." The announcer brings the main act to the stage, comedian Henny Youngman, who opens with his famous "Take my wife, please" joke. Then the scene finally cuts at about 34:33. That was one three-minute continuous take with almost constant movement, changing locations and lighting, and dozens of extras to be choreographed as well as primary actors with dialogue. God bless the steadycam. It's a grand slam home run on a technical level, but it also serves the purpose of showing the slick swiftness and the allure of the glamorous side of being a gangster that Karen was being seduced by at that moment.

About a decade earlier Scorsese created another elaborate tracking shot done in one continuous take using the steadycam. in Raging Bull leading up to Jake's title fight with Cerdan the shot opens with Jake working Joey's body in his last warm-up in the dressing room. This starts at about 78:17. The camera then follows Jake and his crew out of the room and into the hallway bowels of the arena. Jake lifts the hood of his leopard-print robe over his head and he jogs forward. They twist and turn and go up a few stairs before emerging at the back of the venue, revealing a sold-out stadium around the bare ring. The crowd eruputs as he makes his way toward the ring, flash bulbs going off sporadically. Just as Jake and company get to the base of the ring, the camera floats above the crowd (the camera operator has stepped onto a crane that was hidden). The point-of-view remains hovering above the ring as Jake climbs through the ropes and the announcer takes the microphone at about 79:50. That sequence is only a minute and a half, but wow, what a scene!

So yeah, study what that Scorsese guy does. He's a good kid, and he may be going places with that talent of his.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The opening shot of Touch of Evil is probably one of the most famous long shots in history.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
About a decade earlier Scorsese created another elaborate tracking shot done in one continuous take using the steadycam. in Raging Bull leading up to Jake's title fight with Cerdan the shot opens with Jake working Joey's body in his last warm-up in the dressing room. This starts at about 78:17. The camera then follows Jake and his crew out of the room and into the hallway bowels of the arena. Jake lifts the hood of his leopard-print robe over his head and he jogs forward. They twist and turn and go up a few stairs before emerging at the back of the venue, revealing a sold-out stadium around the bare ring. The crowd eruputs as he makes his way toward the ring, flash bulbs going off sporadically. Just as Jake and company get to the base of the ring, the camera floats above the crowd (the camera operator has stepped onto a crane that was hidden). The point-of-view remains hovering above the ring as Jake climbs through the ropes and the announcer takes the microphone at about 79:50. That sequence is only a minute and a half, but wow, what a scene!
Funny, I was just coming back in the thread to pop this shot up. It is simply one of the best shots in film, ever, IMO. I have only recently seen the film (but three times) and I replayed this scene about 25 times the last time I saw it. Absolutely incredible. I can't get over it. Genius, on every level. Sort of like the whole film, which I am starting to think is probably one of the best films ever made. May soon be my favorite Scorsese film, although Goodfellas is hard to beat for that slot....

Raging Bull may be a perfect film...Yeah, that Scorsese kid is OK.

Oh...Check out the final shot in After Hours, another Scorsese gem. Stunning technique.

Originally Posted by IDigCereal
The opening shot of Touch of Evil is probably one of the most famous long shots in history.

Yes, the opening sequence in Touch of Evil is one of the first and oft cited examples.

After the Universal logo fades the first image we see is a close-up of a man holding a bomb and setting the timer. He places it in the trunk of a convertible just before a man and woman get into it and drive away. The camera floats above the building and we follow the car pull down the street, through the town. Revealed walking down the street next to the car at one point are the characters played by Chuck Heston and Janet Leigh. They are walking the same direction as the car - toward the U.S. border (we are in a Mexican bordertown). The car is stopped at an intersection because of a bunch of goats so the camera stays with Heston and Leigh for a while as they walk. There are street vendors and dozens of extras walking the streets of this town. The couple and the car with the bomb in the trunk meet again at the border checkpiont. The two on foot are let go first after we learn they are newlyweds, then the officers talk to the man in the car. The woman passenger is trying to explain, "Hey, I got this ticking in my head," but nobody pays her any attention. The car drives on and the camera rests on Heston and Leigh again. Just as they are about to kiss they are interrupted by a large explosion. The scene finally cuts to reveal a fireball of a car. That opening runs about fifteen seconds over four minutes in length. A real masterpiece.

That scene as well as others are referenced directly in the opening shot of Robert Altman's The Player, which is nearly twice as long and elaborate as Welles'.

The movie starts with a mural and the clapboard and behind the scenes goings on heard as the film is brought to speed and action called. The mural is in an office, where a secretary answers a phone. The camera pulls out of the door and we see we are on a Studio lot, where all the executive offices are housed. In the parking lot Griffin Mill's (Tim Robbins) black Range Rover pulls up and he enters the building. As he enters Fred Ward's security chief is stepping out of the building, talking to a young employee. Their dialogue starts with Ward noting, "Pictures they make these days are all M-TV; cut, cut, cut, cut. The opening shot of Welles' Touch of Evil was six and a half minutes long." The young man asks in disbelief, "Six and a half minutes long?" To which Ward replies, "Well, three or four anyway. He set the whole picture up with that one tracking shot." Altman's unbroken tracking shot continues and in fact has hardly just begun. The boy asks Ward about the shot in Absolute Beginners, and Ward dismisses it by saying he hasn't seen it.

After leaving Ward the camera spies into Mill's office through the window where he is meeting Buck Henry for a pitch; The Graduate Part II. From that meeting the camera shifts back to the parking lot to reveal an accident between the mailboy on his bike and a man in one of those golf cart things. The bin of mail is spilled all over the lot and the camera focuses in on one postcard. Then we pull back to see a Porsche pull onto the lot and stop a pretty blonde to ask if she's Rebecca DeMornay (she isn't). But that action is interrupted by Jeremy Piven's character giving a group of ten or so visiting Japanese a tour. That gives way to the current Studio boss, Shel (Brion James), arriving in his car and entering the offices. The camera goes around the corner again to peek in through Griffin's window where he is getting yet another pitch; Out of Africa meets Pretty Woman. Pulling back outside again we see Alan Rudoplh asking the young man Fred Ward was talking to earlier where Mill's office is. Then we see Buck Henry now with Ward, still talking about long tracking shots. Buck brings up the shot of Debra Winger in Bertolucci's The Sheltering Sky, and again Ward says he hasn't seen it. The camera again finds Griffin Mill's office through the window and we hear Rudolph giving his pitch which is "Not unlike Ghost meets Manchurian Candidate". As Rudolph talks the mail is finally delivered to Mill and he turns over the postcard we saw spilled on the lot. It reads, "I HATE YOUR GUTS, *******". Mill slowly turns and looks supiciously out the window.

The scene finally cuts there after it has run all over the parking lot and around this office building for just over eight minutes straight.

Yeah.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Reservoir Dogs has a few very long shots in it.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Irreversible compromises of about 5 shots if i'm not mistaken, you don't tend to realise there are no cuts, except when the time changes, with the, well, subject matter.

Oldboy, not long really but the corridor fight scene is one awesome shot.

The opening of Halloween is meant to be one shot but apparently there are some cuts in it, i think there's a documentary on the DVD, i'm sure that would come in handy.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Quentin Tarantino uses long takes in most of his movies.

Brian De Palma is famous for long takes.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Cléo de 5 ŕ 7

The Mystery of Picasso

I wouldn't recommend this film though, not a Pablo Picasso fan.

SLACKER The R to the L made it.

Kubrick's shot following some guy in a court room that weaved around the chairs and stuff. I don't remember the movie but I think I read that somewhere. You slippery snakes.

Funny Games when the sucka' fools blast the kid in the living room. I thought it was pretty good stuff. I'm talking about the technique not the kid getting shot, but for some reason i do think he had it coming. Don't ever where socks pulled up to your knees around me.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Irreversible compromises of about 5 shots if i'm not mistaken, you don't tend to realise there are no cuts, except when the time changes, with the, well, subject matter.
I know for sure that the opening "long" shot through the fetish club with the swirling camera was just carefully edited so it appeared that there were no cuts. It still has quite the impactful effect though.

"I can't help it..."
I know for sure that the opening "long" shot through the fetish club with the swirling camera was just carefully edited so it appeared that there were no cuts. It still has quite the impactful effect though.
Yes, this is true. But I would rather not use this film anyway, as it relied heavily on digital effect - even in the rape scene; digital penis. Plus, I'd rather not screen that to my Grade 12 moderator...

Thanks for the replies, guys. Keep 'em coming!

Easy Rider had a long ass pan across a moutain range at sunset.

Yeah, but from an aesthetic, not technical, pov it doesn't really matter. If it appears as a long shot, to me it's as good as one even though it may cheat on the technical prowess of an actual single shot. Get me?

Tarantino and Scorsese definitely use a lot of long shots. THere's the long shot through Jack Rabbit Slim's in Pulp Fiction, and the long shot in the House of Blue Leaves in Kill Bill Vol. 1. As well as the films previously mentioned, i think there's a long shot at the beginning of Gangs of New York, when the dead rabbits are walking through their colony-ish thing to the fist battle scene. Good stuff.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
The three films I studied at film school were;
Touch of Evil
Goodfellas
Snake Eyes by Brian De Palma, similar to the opening of " Touch of Evil " it is one long continous take. Not the best film I've ever seen, but it is a good example of one take and blocking.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?