A Song For November

Tools    

My round 12 list with an attempt at adding comments:

1. Wang Chung - Wait: The success of Tarzan Boy a few rounds ago and honeykid's King entry inspired me pick one of my favorite '80s synthpop songs, which is from one of my favorite movie soundtracks (and movies), To Live and Die in L.A. Looks like it's doing great so far!
2. Shontelle - Impossible: A beautiful, passionate vocal performance.
3. King - Love & Pride: A fun, upbeat song that I'm surprised I haven't heard before.
4. Annie - Anthonio (Berlin Breakdown Version): Not a bad round for synth music, huh?
5. Rush - Passage to Bangkok: I love Rush, but it's not one of my favorites of theirs. It's a bit too clever for me.
6. James Taylor - Carolina in my Mind: A pretty good country-fied track exemplifying former president James Taylor's unique brand of bittersweet folk rock.
7. Cerulean Veins - Kiss Me Kill Me: I like Goth/darkwave music a lot, but this one seems a bit derivative and I'm not crazy about the vocals.
8. Stone Sour - Through Glass: Sorry, but this faded into the background to me pretty quickly.

ROUND 12

1. Rush - Passage to Bangkok
2. Stone Sour - Through Glass
3. Shontelle - Impossible
4. King - Love & Pride
5. James Taylor - Carolina in My Mind
6. Wang Chung - Wait
7. Annie - Anthonio (Berlin Breakdown Version)
8. Cerulean Veins - Kiss Me Kill Me

5. Rush - Passage to Bangkok: I love Rush, but it's not one of my favorites of theirs. It's a bit too clever for me.
Ahh, I'm the other way around. I love the lyrics and how tongue-in-cheek they seem to be with the subject. It's not my favorite Rush either, but it's one of the most fun for me to listen to, if that makes any sense.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
wait. who is this rush? i never knew he made music o.O i guess he had the mic for it but still doesn't seem at all the type.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Ahh, I'm the other way around. I love the lyrics and how tongue-in-cheek they seem to be with the subject. It's not my favorite Rush either, but it's one of the most fun for me to listen to, if that makes any sense.
I'm sure I'm in the minority of Rush fans for not loving it, but I'm that weird fan who loves Witch Hunt and Vital Signs, the two tracks on Moving Pictures nobody talks about, so what do I know, haha.

wait. who is this rush? i never knew he made music o.O i guess he had the mic for it but still doesn't seem at all the type.
It's Mega Man's dog buddy.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
  1. Annie - Anthonio (Berlin Breakdown Version)
    I kinda hate posting my picks as first on my lists, but there's something so adorable with her voice and the few intervals she sings. Anyway. I found this on the soundtrack of a neat lil B-flick titled The Guest and was really knocked out by it. It's not really my preferred style, but I'll catch myself melting into this kind of stuff from time to time. It just hit the right notes for me. For as bleeding edge annoying synth-pop as teases to be, I really shouldn't even entertain it but gosh! Maybe I'm crushing? And that key change. Oh, annie-oh, my annie-oh.... sigh. wtf is wrong with me.

2. Wang Chung - Wait
    Bass line opening kinda reminds me of really fast "Part Time Lover." This could have been a B-track to Never Let Me Down, so I MIGHT be giving a bit higher status for that. Not sure.

3. Cerulean Veins - Kiss Me Kill Me
    I kinda dig this sound. Vocals are a bit hot and peak. Maybe its' the reverb hitting hard. Still pretty good sounds overall. Love those drums and 80s Cure guitar walks and synths. Wait just a minute! Are you from San Diego!?

4. King - Love & Pride
    The hell is wrong with you people posting this stuff? I kinda like it! Nice "slappa-da-bass" sound, if a bit repetitive. Still, it works. I'm takin' it 'round tha wa-wa-wa-wa-world. Kid did a backspin on...gravel. =x That alone is an extra poi---OMG that delayed vocal ending! lol fun track.

5. James Taylor - Carolina in My Mind
    Great guitar plucking. Never could get into his voice though. Regardless of my preferences, the dude is James friggin Taylor.

6. Shontelle - Impossible
    Can't really say much here. Not at all my style. Easy enough chord progression. Her vocals are solid but the inflections are distracting at times. She's got the voice and harmonizes well so I would rather hear her in something less formulaic? Still, a good mix.

7. Rush - Passage to Bangkok
    I've typed this before, but I'll type it again for the newer players in case they get any ideas. I. Hate. Rush. Hate. hatehatehatehate. I can totally respect the complexity of their music and actually love the guitar distortion in the song. But those vocals. Those ear-piercing whin....okok. I'll stop. But in all seriousness, the next Rush track gets a default last spot. Just sayin'

8. Stone Sour - Through Glass
    Never was a fan when these guys came out. I must admit, though, that Jeff Daniels has a pretty decent voice. Who'lda thunk? ;P Weird. I let this play through and it was followed by a Russian cover of this very song. I have to say that it sounds pretty good!

r(i)nom:
Dlina Volny - Whatever Happens Next
me-ow.

Sadly no votes again from Derek but time, tide and tourneys wait for no-one....

1st - Annie - Anthonio (Berlin Breakdown Version) (40 pts)

2nd - Shontelle - Impossible (39 pts)
3rd - Cerulean Veins - Kiss Me Kill Me (32 pts)
4th - King - Love & Pride (29 pts)
4th - Stone Sour - Through Glass (29 pts)
6th - James Taylor - Carolina in My Mind (28 pts)
6th - Rush - Passage to Bangkok (28 pts)
8th - Wang Chung - Wait (27 pts)

Grats to Yin on getting their tune through to the Final

Round thirteen up shortly....

No Derek this round so just the seven go to battle...

Metric - Waves

Flo Rida ft. David Guetta - Club Can't Handle Me

Imagination - Just An Illusion

Flickerstick - Pistol In My Hand

Dlina Volny - Whatever Happens Next

Neil Diamond - Longfellow Serenade

Poets of the Fall - Lift

Please rank from 1 (your favourite) to 7 (your least favourite).
This round will stay open for voting until 9am GMT on 27th November.

Nominations for Round 14 (final qualifying round) are now open

Tough set to order imo.
  1. Metric - Waves
  2. Dlina Volny - Whatever Happens Next
  3. Flickerstick - Pistol In My Hand
  4. Poets of the Fall - Lift
  5. Flo Rida ft. David Guetta - Club Can't Handle Me
  6. Imagination - Just An Illusion
  7. Neil Diamond - Longfellow Serenade

My R14 (and final) nom:
Dust - Walk In The Soft Rain

It's Mega Man's dog buddy.

As both a Mega Man fan and a Rush fan, this is all kinds of awesome

Rush - Passage to Bangkok
I've typed this before, but I'll type it again for the newer players in case they get any ideas. I. Hate. Rush. Hate. hatehatehatehate. I can totally respect the complexity of their music and actually love the guitar distortion in the song. But those vocals. Those ear-piercing whin....okok. I'll stop. But in all seriousness, the next Rush track gets a default last spot. Just sayin'
Yeah, as much as I love them, I understand they're definitely an acquired taste, especially re: Geddy Lee's vocals during the early stages of the band (he toned down on the "shrieking" as the years went by). Still, I think Passage to Bangkok is one of the milder ones as far as that goes; I mean, it's not "Finding My Way" but again, I understand

1. Flo Rida ft. David Guetta - Club Can't Handle Me (Nostalgic song from London party days that used to play on Radio. Chorus is legendary, especially as a party anthem.)

2. Metric - Waves (Very nice light rock.)

3. Poets of the Fall - Lift (Well done rock song.)

4. Dlina Volny - Whatever Happens Next (It's all right. A bit too synth, though.)

5. Flickerstick - Pistol In My Hand (It's all right. Could be shorter, though.)

6. Neil Diamond - Longfellow Serenade (A bit too sappy.)

7. Imagination - Just An Illusion (I'm not enthusiastic about this one, but neither is it annoying.)

Round 13 list:

1. Poets of the Fall - Lift
2. Metric - Waves
3. Flo Rida ft. David Guetta - Club Can't Handle Me
4. Flickerstick - Pistol In My Hand
5. Imagination - Just An Illusion
6. Dlina Volny - Whatever Happens Next
7. Neil Diamond - Longfellow Serenade