just watched naked lunch... what the f**k?

→ in
Tools    

"I can't help it..."
I just watched the 1991 David Cronenberg film "Naked Lunch".
I don't know why I picked it up at the video store, just thought it might be something different. I had never heard of it before.
I read one of the quotes on the box & it said "Ingenious, bracing, brilliant" & I heard that it won the Best Director award from the New York Film Critics' Circle... But...
After watching it, I can't make heads or tails out of it.

Some people say its a masterpiece, others say its total rubbish.
I don't know what it is... Part of the film was easy to understand, other parts (most parts), were totally incomprehensible...

I can't figure out the film's hidden meaning... There must be one... No one would make a film like this & not have some sort of hidden meaning in there somewhere...

What are you're thoughts... Help me...
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

You could read the novel.

Not that it would help much, only compound the problem.

Some things have no answer, Grasshopper.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
You could read the novel.

Not that it would help much, only compound the problem.

Some things have no answer, Grasshopper.
I read half the novel and stopped. I couldn't make much sense of it. Never saw the film, and if it's anything like the book, I probably never will.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Insanity doesn't always make sense, does it?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I loved it, but then again I loved, Eraserhead, Un Chien Andalou, Week End, and other surrealist movies.

The film, the way I see it, is partially based on William S. Burroughs real life, the book Naked Lunch,and his drug-induced halluciations.

Burroughs(Bill Lee) did apparrently kill his wife(Joan) while playing "William Tell."

The other characters are based friends and acquaintances of his.

But trying to make sense out of this doesn't make any sense.

I loved the saxophone, Ornette Coleman, for the soundtrack.

If you haven't seen Drugstore Cowboy check it out.

William S. Burroughs plays Tom the Priest in this.

It may help you understand what he was about, if not, it was still a great movie in my opinion.