2013 MoFo Fantasy Football - The Regular Season

Tools    

Congrats to Yoda on his win. Beast Mode & Dexters Vick were 3rd & 4th in the league but they lost. So looking at the playoff landscape, other than me and Jiraffe the playoffs are possible for 70% of the league still! Huge gridlock in rankings going into the last regular season game like Ive never seen before.

Okay, so, wow, huge logjam heading into the final week. Only one thing is settled: jiraffe and TONGO get the Byes. Beyond that, there are four playoff spots up for grabs, and eight teams realistically fighting for them. Seven of these eight are 7-5 or 6-6, and one of them (Sleezy) still has an outside shot at 5-7. Fiscal has the same record but his point total makes winning any potential tiebreaker unlikely.

So, running through Sleezy's path real quick: he needs a win, a loss from Pete/Beantown AND a loss from Dexter, and he needs to come within 34 points of Pete's total this week and outscore Dex by 11. Tall order, but not completely insane.

Now, of the other seven teams, things are complicated, but not as complicated as they could be because four of the 6-6 teams are facing each other: LT (Sookie's Suckers) vs. seanc (Mud Dogs), and Yoda (11 Angry Men) vs. 7thson (Peyton's of Doom). So that guarantees that at least two of the teams in this pileup are finishing with 7 wins, which means along with Beast Mode, we're guaranteed to have at least three 7-win teams in line for the first of those four spots. But we could have as many as five, which means it's all going to be about the points.

That said, we still have something pretty close to "win and you're in" for most of the 6-6 teams, because even if as many 6-6 teams win as possible, only one can be left out at most. To that end, most other teams on the cusp other than her opponent should be rooting for LT, because she'd have the toughest time with that tiebreaker; seanc, on the other hand, has the second-highest point total in the group, and is far more likely to bump one of the others out if they all win.

Beast Mode is an unusual position: well-positioned a game ahead of this mess, but a loss presents problems because of that modest point total. It would not be unusual to go from 3rd this week to out of the playoffs when this all shakes out.

So that's that. No more than one 7-win team can be left out, so a win this week for most of us 6-win teams'll do it.

Meanwhile: WHEW. Can't believe it's come down to the final week after that rough start and losing three huge stars along the way. But I kept the faith:

...looking at my team's schedule I've got a really good stretch here against teams that have been fairly low-scoring, or against ones with some significant players on Bye, and since the Pack have already had theirs, I think I've got a real chance at going 4-1 or something over the next five games and getting back into things. But a lot can go wrong, obviously, and I can probably only afford to lose two more games all year.
I've lost exactly two more games, as it so happens. And I went back and checked and one other MoFo team has started 0-4 and made the playoffs: Dex in 2010. PW started 0-3 in 2009 and made it, too. So this would tie the "worst start that still resulted in a playoff berth" mark.

And yet again, the Steelers and I are on weirdly parallel tracks. This league's first season was the first I ever played fantasy football. I won MoFo Bowl I and the Steelers won the Super Bowl in the same year (I fell just short of duplicating the coincidence three years later). That was pretty cool. This year we both started 0-4 and are both somehow tied for the final playoff spot, which is crazy.

Also, this was posted like 8 weeks ago:

Meanwhile, I'm 0-4, somehow. At least I get a chance at an epic comeback.
Sounds like the Steelers.
Nice call, Dionne! Amusingly, I'm playing you this week.

In the Beginning...
So, running through Sleezy's path real quick: he needs a win, a loss from Pete/Beantown AND a loss from Dexter, and he needs to come within 34 points of Pete's total this week and outscore Dex by 11. Tall order, but not completely insane.
If it happens, I'll be ecstatic.

It was almost worse; a late stat correction to Tony Romo took away passing yards, but you just held on against Mike. You guys went from having the fifth-closest matchup in league history (0.38 points) to the third (0.24 points).

Let the night air cool you off
I just went throught the league's history, and I have a chance to set the new league record for highest win percentage. If I can take care of business this week, I have it. Winning the championship is more important of course though.

You do indeed; we played 14 games the first season and Swedish Chef went 11-3, the best mark to date. Got it all in the big ol' records file. Or at least a lot of it.

Hard to say if anyone has a chance to set a points mark; nominally, no, but if I went through and adjusted for half-PPR over full-PPR, maybe.

PFFT! Lions are crushing the Packers 39-10, and my WR2 Nate Burleson hasnt even got one catch.

Yeah, tough game for lots of desperate fantasy owners, methinks: Lacy had a rough one and Boykin put up a big fat zero, and I was starting both. Oof.

I imagine it all gets better when Rodgers get back, likely next week, but for a lot of us there won't be a next week if we don't win this one.

Thank you LeVeon Bell for saving my day! Brought my overall total back up to what Yahoo projected it would be.

I admit Im nervous about the Jirraffes. Our point totals are similar, but his teams stronger now as I dont have a weekly huge total from Jimmy Graham like I was seasons beginning. It looks like we are on a collision course, but looks are decieving as Beast Mode might be the one win it all this year, yanevahknow

The helmet coming off to stop play was not meant for a play like this - lame.

From what I can tell, the record for most points scored in a season in the league was scored by a team called Big Damn Heroes last season. That team scored 1,759.09

Adjusting for PPR, through 12 weeks I've scored 1,660.04. TONGO's team has scored 1,626.72 with the same adjustment. I figure we both have a shot at hitting that mark. TONGO's team would have to perform in a big time way though.

EDIT: Including my Thanksgiving performers I would be at 1,706.24. TONGO would be at 1,659.32

Rice underwhelms again but me and Sookie's Suckers are still neck and neck. Should be a fun Sunday of football.

From what I can tell, the record for most points scored in a season in the league was scored by a team called Big Damn Heroes last season. That team scored 1,759.09

Adjusting for PPR, through 12 weeks I've scored 1,660.04. TONGO's team has scored 1,626.72 with the same adjustment. I figure we both have a shot at hitting that mark. TONGO's team would have to perform in a big time way though.

EDIT: Including my Thanksgiving performers I would be at 1,706.24. TONGO would be at 1,659.32
You did this by going through each week and added .5 for each reception?

It's pretty easy, you can just go to each team's Team Log. I did it the hard way before I realized I could go there and have all the numbers right there.

In a few hours we'll have a wayyyyyy better sense of the playoff picture. Lots of late-season drama, too, as players are injured and/or their roles are changing leading up to game time. Could have some really close matchups.

General rule that still holds: if any 6-6 team wins, their odds of making the playoffs are very good. At most, we'll see one 7-6 team miss out, if I'm remembering correctly. So it's not a guarantee but, if you're looking for a shorthand that covers most eventualities, 7 wins is it.