The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Aaaand, it’s not going to support VR at launch...

This game just loves to troll me I swear

Ach, having waited 6 years, what’s another year though eh

* Starts researching offline mods that trigger the native VR... *

The People's Republic of Clogher
And I'm not long from playing it all again - It turned up on Xbox Game Pass.

Astonishing game.

So AT&T is looking to sell WB Games for 4bn. As of right now the interested buyers are EA, Activision Blizzard and Take-Two. I have a bad feeling...

The People's Republic of Clogher
Persona 4's on Steam! So are Journey and Flower! (the last two debuted on Epic last year but it spoils my narrative)

With the current discounts you can own all three for £20 and have a majestic, life affirming, stylish time.

Welcome to the human race...
Update since my last post...

So I finished both Hotline Miami and Alan Wake. The former stayed fairly consistent in terms of enjoyable gameplay, even though I have some issues with the story and how it relates to the gameplay (even though it is fairly obvious that they're not meant to have that much to do with one another...

WARNING: "Hotline Miami" spoilers below
Considering how much the game was clearly laying the foundation for some kind of twist that would throw the protagonist's acts of violence into horribly sharp perspective (the visions of masked people, the bearded guy showing up after every mission, the creepy-looking janitor or the other ways in which the sections between levels started to fall apart), it is kind of weird that the game decides to give the protagonist a simplistic vengeance ending before tacking on a self-aware epilogue where a supporting character is frustrated at the lack of answers (much like the player must be) and finds the creepy janitor only to find that it's either a) just some guy essentially doing prank calls or b) if you collect the secret letters, then it's actually revealed as a big conspiracy. So...not really saying a whole lot of anything unless you know about and manage to find the letters, but at this point I definitely don't feel motivated enough to search for those. I know the story isn't the priority, but they put enough effort into it that having the quality of the ending hinge on collecting the right MacGuffins in a game that puts as little emphasis on collecting MacGuffins as possible seem like a bad idea.

Speaking of story versus gameplay, it seems like the reverse is true of Alan Wake. I definitely appreciate the idea of Alan Wake as an attempt to pull from a variety of different horror inspirations and make a more subjective experience out of it (complete with an overindulgence of horror writer tropes that comes pretty close to Garth Marenghi territory at times), but then that's coupled with gameplay that...hmm. I played it through on Normal and that was the kind of thing where it was mostly tolerable but not without the odd challenging moment. The emphasis on light sources was certainly an interesting one, plus I did appreciate how it got weirder as things went on (though it is ultimately a bit underwhelming on a narrative level, especially when you factor in the expansions).

I also played Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath, which is a fine enough addition to the game's story mode and actually makes me think that I could get back into playing it properly.

Of course, the main change is that I finally got around to picking up Animal Crossing: New Horizons and I'm finding it an obviously pleasant counterbalance to those other games. I've missed playing games that are this chilled-out (wasp attacks notwithstanding).

I shot cyberpunk robots and dodged bullets in my living room to the point of sweatiness. (When not doing that I listened to some terrible cyberpunk dialogue).

That is my story.

EDIT:

I’m also never playing another game where you crash land on an alien planet and then walk around a lot. It’s like VR’s second biggest staple after wave shooters...

Aww yeah, cross-play and VR baby

I am ready for some more glossy over-priced EA Star Wars antics

(Seriously though, there's enough there to get me interested. 5 vs 5 multiplayer, bit of a glossy single player story, seeming classic energy management [probably your classic engines / shield / weapons, going by the 3 bars in the sizzle reel], flying through narrow gaps...)

Could be some fun arcade carnage

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
*EDIT*
The offer has expired.

Coworker just shared this. itch.io is offering a fund raiser for racial justice and equality. Something like 1,700 independent games for a $5 minimum donation. A Night in the Woods is in the list for anyone curious from a while back.

https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-rac...e-and-equality

Ok today I played a mystical archery game which started by singing me the plot

I've uncovered a really weird seam of high gloss wave shooters. And I think I like it

This one is genuinely nuts. They expect you to high-speed headshot like Legolas. It's all: Do I shoot my NPC sword-friend with the healing arrow? Or aim for eyes of that approaching juggernaut behind the waterfall? Or just get confused and heal the bad guy right in the eye...

I killed a lot of the wrong people.

My arms ache.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Coworker just shared this. itch.io is offering a fund raiser for racial justice and equality. Something like 1,700 independent games for a $5 minimum donation. A Night in the Woods is in the list for anyone curious from a while back.

https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-rac...e-and-equality
Looks like this bundle expired overnight, unless I'm missing a link on that page somewhere. ??

Looks like this bundle expired overnight, unless I'm missing a link on that page somewhere. ??
Yeah. When I posted, it had like a 14-hour timer at that point. That was the earliest I learned of it. =\ I just edited the post to reflect that.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yeah. When I posted, it had like a 14-hour timer at that point. That was the earliest I learned of it. =\ I just edited the post to reflect that.
Part of that page reads as if they might extend it somehow, so I'll keep a lookout. Naturally, I've already bought about 4 of those games elsewhere... some of them recently, too.

Part of that page reads as if they might extend it somehow, so I'll keep a lookout. Naturally, I've already bought about 4 of those games elsewhere... some of them recently, too.
I was on the edge, but then reminded myself I'd likely never play one of them. I feel guilty for ignoring the principle of the who offer, but eh. They went like 2m over their goal so I feel they're on safe ground.

I downloaded that Uncharted bundle when PSN released it for free during the covid shutdown. I still haven't touched one of them. =\

Why don't video games hire proofreaders?

*its
You should have heard the singing!

anyone excited to. get the last of us part 2 on friday? i seen it has alot of good reviews lately and i did finished the first last of us and hope the 2nd will be good and i cant wait to get it on friday. loved the franchise

A system of cells interlinked
So are Journey and Flower! (the last two debuted on Epic last year but it spoils my narrative).
Grabbed Journey as soon as I saw it. Looking forward to playing it again soon!

Last night I was mainly doing this and this

Annoyingly the 'Rocket League' mode wasn't available in the clown car demo.

And the fantasy archery game went totally odd and placed me on a war elephant at one point. Will be playing it again

Delayed again. At this rate we'll all be dead before CP2077 releases. I just hope the cockroaches and Cher have enough respect and appreciation for such artistry that they forever immortalize the memory of this ever so elusive and rare gem.