Pre-1930s Hall of Fame

Tools    

Two more noms are up and posted:
Metropolis (1927)
Faust (1926)

I might have to change mine: Marianne (1929), I can't find it so far. If you guys have links for your noms, PM them to me.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
forgot to give you a link for Faust, so I PMed it.
Both of them are on YouTube.

Just realized I didn't do an initial comment,

Nominated by Cricket Pandora's Box (1929) This was one on my Curious List while wandering around for movies

Nominated by Cricket Lucky Star (1929) This is unknown to me but with it being from Cricket, should be pretty d@mn good

Nominated by Citizen Rules Sadie Thompson (1928) wow a Gloria Swanson film WITH Lionel Barrymore. I am intrigued

Nominated by Citizen Rules Marianne (1929) A few musical numbers, eh? Nice little mix into the crowd.

Nominated by Ahwell Sherlock Jr.(1924) I think this is the third HoF I've been in where this was disqualified before I got to see it, so this definitely looks like third time's the charm for it.

Nominated by Ahwell Metropolis (1927) Have not seen this since my early twenties at the movie theater in Detroit's Art Museum. It's been about thirty years so it'll be a great litte rewatch that feels like a first time.

Nominated by Edarsenal The Man Who Laughs (1928) A blind grab that is on my To Watch List.

Nominated by Edarsenal Faust (1926) So is this one with the same director who did Nosferatu, so I'm kinda geeked for this, as I am with pretty much this entire list.

Here's my comments on Ed's comments Just for fun

Nominated by Cricket Pandora's Box (1929) This was one on my Curious List while wandering around for movies
I haven't seen this either but we watched Louise Brooks in Diary of a Lost Girl in the Silent Era HoF and she was great in that, so I've been wanting to see this one.

Nominated by Cricket Lucky Star (1929) This is unknown to me but with it being from Cricket, should be pretty d@mn good
A talkie! and with Janet Gaynor from the 1st version of A Star is Born, this should be interesting.

Nominated by Citizen Rules Sadie Thompson (1928) wow a Gloria Swanson film WITH Lionel Barrymore. I am intrigued
I'm a fan of movies made from W. Somerset Maugham's novels and of the Joan Crawford version of this same story, Rain (1932)

Nominated by Citizen Rules Marianne (1929) A few musical numbers, eh? Nice little mix into the crowd.
Both of mine where blind noms. I knew I wanted a Marion Davies movie. I've only seen her in one film and she was a standout, at least William Randolph Hurst thought so.

Nominated by Ahwell Sherlock Jr.(1924) I think this is the third HoF I've been in where this was disqualified before I got to see it, so this definitely looks like third time's the charm for it.
This is a good one, I just re-watched it for the Classic Comedy Hof, so I won't watch it again, but can say I enjoyed it. Very creative film.

Nominated by Ahwell Metropolis (1927) Have not seen this since my early twenties at the movie theater in Detroit's Art Museum. It's been about thirty years so it'll be a great litte rewatch that feels like a first time.
Since then they found the missing footage and restored it. I've seen it twice, once in my 20s on PBS and once a decade ago. So another watch is in order.

Nominated by Edarsenal The Man Who Laughs (1928) A blind grab that is on my To Watch List.
I almost nominated this myself! So very glad you did, I think it's a special film and I'm wanting to rewatch it.

Nominated by Edarsenal Faust (1926) So is this one with the same director who did Nosferatu, so I'm kinda geeked for this, as I am with pretty much this entire list.
This looked cool when I checked it out on youtube, so it'll be interesting to see it in it's entirety.

A good set of noms thus far and I'll almost certainly watch a number of them as part of my pre-1930 viewings but I think on balance with my running that countdown, running a song tourney this month and my monthly themes I'm probably best staying on the sidelines rather than joining in proper.

I'm a fan of movies made from W. Somerset Maugham's novels and of the Joan Crawford version of this same story, Rain (1932)
Thanks for stating this, as soon as I read the title I knew it rang a bell but could not for the life of me think why lol. Quite enjoyed Rain and wasn't aware there was a version prior to that one so my interest is super-piqued for this one .... in fact Sadie Thompson will most likely now be this morning's watch

I'll be watching from the sidelines, but will try to watch a couple pre-1930s before the countdown that have been on my watchlist for the longest time:
  • The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari 1920
  • The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse 1921
  • The Thief of Bagdad 1924
  • Metropolis 1927
  • Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 1927
  • Napoleon 1927
  • The Passion of Joan of Arc 1928
  • Man with a Movie Camera 1929

Well, I done gone watched Sadie Thompson, won't say too much about it as this HOF's not even started yet really but on balance I'd say it's a better version than the 1932 Rain - it's a shame about that last reel not being salvageable though and, whilst I certainly don't hold it against the film, I've no idea who commissioned the modern score but I had to turn it off after a few minutes as to me it belonged far more to a crappy arcade game than a fillum

Siddon has joined and nominated two good ones.
The Unknown (1927) 1h 3m
The Kid (1921) 1h 8min

I haven't seen either, but of course I've heard of The Kid and I always enjoy Charlie Chaplin. I hadn't heard of The Unknown but I do recognize the director's name: Tod Browning.

I'll keep this HoF open through Monday if anyone else would like to join. But we can go ahead and start watching the noms.

Siddon has joined and nominated two good ones.
The Unknown (1927) 1h 3m
The Kid (1921) 1h 8min

I haven't seen either, but of course I've heard of The Kid and I always enjoy Charlie Chaplin. I hadn't heard of The Unknown but I do recognize the director's name: Tod Browning.

I'll keep this HoF open through Monday if anyone else would like to join. But we can go ahead and start watching the noms.
sounds like a plan, CR!!

WELCOME @Siddon!

LOOOVE The Kid! Haven't seen it in a decade or two and if I didn't go for blind grabs I would have TOTALLY gone with this one -- so pretty d@mn happy to see it here.

Intrigued by The Unknown with the Man of a Thousand Faces, Lon Chaney and to see a Browning film, since I so enjoyed his famous films; Dracula and Freaks and never saw any others.

I'll be watching from the sidelines, but will try to watch a couple pre-1930s before the countdown that have been on my watchlist for the longest time:
  • The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari 1920
  • The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse 1921
  • The Thief of Bagdad 1924
  • Metropolis 1927
  • Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 1927
  • Napoleon 1927
  • The Passion of Joan of Arc 1928
  • Man with a Movie Camera 1929
great list. Quite a number of them I need to see as well.

Happy to see The Kid and The Unknown added as they're both on my watchlist for the countdown already. The Unknown was almost one of my blind nominations. I guess that would have been fitting.

We have 10 films, a few of them are about 1 hour long or shorter, so it's more like 8 full length films to watch, that is if you haven't seen any of them before...So what can you guys do for a deadline?

I'm thinking 8 weeks should be easy, but can everyone do 6 weeks maybe? The reason is I'd like to see a second Pre 30s Hof being done before the deadline for the Pre 30s Countdown is up...which is in about 15 weeks. Let me know...