Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

None of this means anything until we know how you rate and/or rank the whole series.
Very well...

Eh, if he ranks Requiem higher than Covenant then we have a bit of a situation.
I do.

Not.

Okay, I'll try my best here...

1. Alien
+ / Aliens

as for most fans who love the first two, they tend to switch back and forth with revisits, but right now the first one seems to hold ground. So if I had to pick it would be 1 then 2. That said though, both are excellent in their respective genres and I'm a sucker for great action flicks and Aliens is top of the line in that department, while the first is one of the very best horror thrillers ever created as well...

2. Prometheus
-
Okay, this is a tough placement... On one hand, Alien 3 is the better Alien flick and has better atmosphere in terms of these movies, but since the prequels are canon I will rank the series as a whole. And Prometheus gave me something new, fresh, original and different, while being quite a blast too. It's dumb in places, it's muddled and/or confusing in others, but I like the energy and overall look and feel of it. Exciting, detailed vision and great visuals, especially with the practical work.

3. Alien 3
-
After Aliens there could have been more to come for, but this one is already showing signs of a tired franchise that doesn't really know where to go and how to do it. I've come to love the Assembly Cut of this film because I do love the original 1-4 for nostalgia and atmosphere and I have accepted that 3 and 4 are MILES from 1 and 2, but still good in their own right, one more than the other...

4. Alien: Resurrection

I used to really enjoy this, but with time the problems seem more obvious. I think it's slightly underrated, but still it's a mess in tone, particularly, and it just seems weird and "off" and bringing Ripley back as a clone was reaching for a story more than ever... but the cloning theme is awesome, relevant and I love the "dont screw with nature" and all that, but it's a missed opportunity more than anything... I love a few scenes, like the underwater one and the clone room scene, but overall it's really up and down throughout.

5. AVP: Alien vs Predator

Alright, Covenant was dumb but not this dumb. Still, this is dumb fun and it's pretty clear. Two monsters fighting and with Anderson's broken, hectic direction you are just right there in this B-movie madness. I can't help but smile at a few fights and stuff in this, it is a cool movie but often in laughable ways. It's trying to be a fan thing several places, but it doesn't quite get there. Of course, it was never going to be able to please the high expectations... I really do like the story though - not the script with the dialogue and all - but the story of ancient times and the setting of pyramids and all that. Great fundament for a movie like this, poor execution...

6. Alien: Covenant
+
I just really hated this. It was lazy, dumb, badly structured, boring, annoying... nothing really clicked with me. The dumb characters, the weird dialogue, the poor structure, the visual reliance on CGI, the missed opportunity to do what they originally set out to do and actually follow the Prometheus storyline, instead of opting more for a full blown Alien movie and landing somewhere in between. Disappointing.

7. AVP: Requiem

The only movie I have not seen recently, but I do remember it was weird and uneven as hell. Kinda fun in my younger days, but it was so messy, amateurish, cut to **** and felt like a music video, a fan film or game adaption gone to hell. Weirdest Alien or Predator movie ever created.

Sweet Bird of Youth (1962)

''I don't ask for your pity, but just for your understanding – not even that – no.
Just for some recognition of me in you, and the enemy, time, in us all.''

I watched Split, finally!

9.5/10. Re-watching unbreakable now .
Can I ask why so many people liked this movie. I admit James McAvoy was good but to me it was a film about nothing. Is it one of those love it or hate it type movies?

Honestly I just felt entertained the entire time, I wanted to know what happens

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Can I ask why so many people liked this movie. I admit James McAvoy was good but to me it was a film about nothing. Is it one of those love it or hate it type movies?
I thought that as well but then I had a chat with a Mofo and had a rewatch. Much preferred it second viewing with fresh eyes.

I thought that as well but then I had a chat with a Mofo and had a rewatch. Much preferred it second viewing with fresh eyes.

What was new about it the second time?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
What was new about it the second time?
I actually cant recall now. I still loved McAvoy. I think I was less scathing of the female characters who I did not like at all on first watch. Not sure. Will have to go and reread the comments. Now you have me curious, Eq. I just remember I had a change of opinion after a chat on here.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Split

This can't be the movie everyone is talking about.

This might just do nobody any good.

This movie is fantastic. It's basically a 2 hour long, big budget David fan fiction and it's everything you want (and don't) from that concept.

Right away the first major death is unintentionally(?) hilarious and should get you in the right mindset for what's to come.

I will say, everything involving the... proto-morph? Uh, the white xenomorph, is actually terrifying, the first encounter particularly. Poor Amy Seimetz (whom I love and was kind of weirded out by seeing her in such a bumbling role. I only know her from Upstream Color).

From there the movie becomes a Tumblr wet dream (ew) and gives us the most hilarious sexual chemistry in the history of movie robots* followed by more proto-morph carnage.

This movie does, unfortunately, feature some of Earth's dumbest scientists (the first rules of all research are to touch or stick your face in it!) but they are a step up from the Prometheus crew.

Not that that's saying much.

Fassbender doesn't just run away with the movie, he drives to the nearest train station and boards the first he can find. He's a delight to watch in both roles (there's a moment where I was basically looking down trying to find my X-Box controller). Billy Crudup does fine work with the bare bones of a character as well, one which could have been a fascinating witness to David's motivations but never goes beyond a single sentence in description.

Katherine Waterston is also doing fine work. Like Crudup, there's not much to say about her character either but she hits all the right notes to the best of her abilities (plus she's looks super adorable in that haircut )

McBride, Seimetz, Bichir(!), Hernández, Ejogo and the rest of the guys are Alien cannon fodder so don't bother investing there.

Anyways, this a fun movie. At least for me. If you liked Prometheus, this should be just fine for you, if you didn't, try watching as a sort of send up of the Alien franchise.

7/10

Yeah I am not sure if I can put myself through that again, I might do some general research about the film in case I missed the point of it before venturing forth again.

Went to the cinema today to see John Wick 2. The first one was a pretty solid flick, and this got good reviews, so I was expecting this to just as good but I'm afraid I was rather disappointed by it. The action is well staged, if a bit too well staged at times (as in, very obviously choreographed) but the plot and characterisation are even thinner than the first one. I just found myself not particularly giving a crap about any of it in the end. Ho hum.*

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Song to song

Additional plus for polish moment. I would reduce this movie about half an hour. Malick's cinematography is rather incongruously, but like it.