Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Grand Duel (1972)

I like the setting for the final scene. Music is pretty good. There are several interesting characters. It wasn't very long. I enjoyed watching it.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	duel.png
Views:	272
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	30520  

Alien Covenant

Now there has been a lot of flak given for this movie and you either love it or hate it. I am a bit in between as I am interested in the origin of the xenomorphs but I felt this movie traveled way to slow. I am one of the few that did not mind Prometheus i agree it did have its flaws but I enjoyed it enough. As for this though I think it was interesting about progression of the xenomorphs but the in-between parts of the movie were just so dull. I also disliked the characters except for Danny McBride (which I dont like at all). Most of the action scenes were in the trailer as well and there was not much of a horror aspect to the movie which I thought Scott may have explored again. I think if you are a fan of the series you would enjoy it but for new comers it is a bit of a let down.

2.5/5 Stars

Patriots Day

I will start off by saying that I remember the events of what happened but not much of the follow up and I dont live in the US so it was low level new reports. I have to say this is one of Wahlbergs better performances even though from what I read his character was fabricated. I was engaged in every part of this film and never seemed stagnant, I also assume this was a sensitive subject for the people of Boston and the director did a good job to keep the integrity of the community. There was some seems I thought were "Hollywoodised" with the shoot out (again I did not know exactly what happened). Overall this was an enjoyable engaging film.

4/5 Stars

Welcome to the human race...
If you are a scientist with weaponry training on a colonisation ship YES you'll going to be proficient in using live weaponry calmly but if it's too hard because they're facing an lethal creature, they will not be that stupid and shoot in the fuel cargo!
Why do you keep thinking stupidity is the issue here? I already said it was out of panic, which is the kind of thing that stops people from thinking clearly (and I don't blame her, who can think clearly when they've just run into a never-before-seen killer alien that rips through people?). It's not like all the scientists are explicitly guaranteed to be good at using guns anyway - they do have a security detail who are supposed to be the main experts in that regard, and even they aren't necessarily a match for the creatures. Half the marines in Aliens died in the space of about five or ten minutes, after all - were they stupid as well?

and that was just the icing on the cake...

Let's not discuss the thing about
WARNING: "covenant spoilers" spoilers below
going to another, never-seen-before planet instead of the planet that they used freaking 10 YEARS to research to make sure it was safe and a great environment for the future of the human race. Okay, I surrender to the fact that they might as well "check it out" but then they go out there with NO MASKS and even for the technological wizardry of a possible scan from the ship it's a freaking PLANET and they don't know what's out there. They go out and discover "living things" as in fields, corn, forests etc. and other life is a very strong possibility yet the captain is like "this is great!" despite of being the most careful procedure-like person on ship just a while ago when things went bad.
WARNING: "Covenant" spoilers below
They do treat it as a "leap of faith", especially in the wake of the neutrino blast that knocks them out of cryosleep. That kind of event is supposed to shake them up, especially when they see their captain get burnt alive in his pod and worry about the likelihood of it happening to them when they're back in their pods - it's even stated in the film that the crew don't particularly want to go back into their pods after such an event. Besides, is there anything to indicate that they'd have worn protective gear to their original destination anyway, even after accounting for the extra data? Could they have known for sure if that planet had had its own killer spores? The only protective gear they seem to have on hand is for spaceship repairs anyway, which strikes me as a shortsightedness that goes beyond the (acting) captain deciding to check out a random planet instead of the main one.

Then they get infected through the mouth/nose (how surprising) and one of them even goes down and looks at the thing like "oooh this is so cool". How about THIS MIGHT BE INFECTIOUS!? Then they get all weird and must be taken to the ship. Remember Ripley not letting them in, in the og. Alien? Well, despite mentioning it in passing they just go in there without any form of procedure. They continue with the infected person THROUGH the ship and finally get to a closed area. One thing leads to another and BAM! blood sprays out on a person as things go really bad. However, the girl with the blood on her face rushes out and don't want to let the other person out because "she might be infected" and suddenly safety procedures matter... and she's the one with blood on her face. Okay.

Then she goes to get a gun and THEN she opens up the place despite the other person already being freaking beyond saving. NO POINT. She then SLIPS in the blood and Scott uses that trick TWICE within 30 seconds and it's not like it's the oldest trick in the book either... Then she rushes out of the room, slips and gets her foot stuck, closes the room and THEN she finally shoots up the entire place like a madperson...

After this I was like "SCREW THIS, MAN..." This is like a 5 minute thing, tops, and it managed to fit so much dumb **** in such a small area.
Again, I don't think this is the kind of thing that can get blamed on "stupidity" so much as fear and panic. The lady in question uses infection as an excuse to lock the creature in the med-bay along with another crew member seemingly out of cowardice, though she does go back for the guns in order to shoot the alien because that's what makes sense to her at the time - it's not like she knows the other crew member is dead already by the time she opens the door.

In short, complaining about characters being "stupid" is boring.

Last movie I watched...

Enemies Closer -

Maybe I shouldn't expect every DTV JCVD to be on the level of Day of Reckoning, but there are certainly worse B-movies out there.

I see no explanation that can back up everything I described in that post... some could be argued for, sure, but at least a couple of those things can't be explained in a way that makes it all okay.

And either way, just in my own personal opinion, it took me out of the movie. I didn't buy the scenario and it ruined the tension and excitement for me. The movie had plenty of pacing issues, half-assed plotlines and ideas and boring characters to not make up for stupid scenes. I didn't find much that could make me enjoy it despite of a few downsides... there were too many downsides to me.

The marines in Aliens were ambushed by the aliens and it was set up well.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

In short, complaining about characters being "stupid" is boring.
The characters in Prometheus were stupid so I have no doubt the kids in this will be as well. If that's boring, oh well.

Wild River (1960) 1/2 of a re-watch

I mean 1/2 of a re-watch because I had watched at least 1/2 of this movie, but that was mainly in the middle, not having seen the beginning and the end parts before. So, it still felt like a new experience to me. This is about Chuck Glover (Montgomery Clift),a Tennessee Valley Authority purchasing agent in the 1930's, sent to a river island community to try to get the last holdouts to move before the river is raised, by using the newly built dam. This is to create jobs and give electricity to parts of the state that hasn't had it before. But the Garth Island people refuse to move, led by matriarch Ella Garth, played by Jo Van Fleet, once again aged up with make-up far beyond her years (she was 45 here, made up to look around 60). Glover has trouble dealing with her, her trio of do-nothing sons, a whole town full of trouble-makers who want to hurt him, plus the "problem" of falling in love with Ella's granddaughter (Lee Remick) and what he's going to do about her, due to his responsibilities and whether or not she and her two children (she's a widow) are something he can handle in his life and career. It is a slow-moving movie but never dull and very character-driven.

This was four years after Clift's devastating car accident that resulted in him having to have facial plastic surgery that altered his handsome looks. I didn't know when the accident had happened while watching this, but I thought he looked a bit different, but still it didn't distract me. He still looked like a normal man playing a role and doing a great job at that. Van Fleet is her usual awesome self, and Lee Remick is excellent and beautiful as ever. The movie is filled with a bevy of familiar faces and is a very enthralling time.

Napoleon and Samantha (1972)

Nice little feel-good Disney live-action movie that stars a young Michael Douglas (as Danny), a really young Johnny Whitaker (from TV's Family Affair), and a really, really young Jodie Foster (in her first theatrical film, having already done scads of TV shows). This has Napoleon (Whitaker), living with his aged grandfather (played by Will Geer of The Waltons), and their adopting a tame, aged male lion named Major. They keep him in the chicken coop and feed him the only thing he'll consume, milk. So the chickens are safe. And Major stays put, being content. Then
WARNING: spoilers below
Grandpa dies and Napoleon gets his new friend Danny to bury Grandpa on his land where he was happy.
Samantha (Foster) lives with her parents, who are away and have left her with the housekeeper/nanny (played by Ellen Corby, who, funnily enough, appears in this movie with her soon-to-be TV husband, Will Geer, although they don't share a scene). When Samantha catches wind of Napoleon's plan to travel across the mountains with Major to visit Danny on his farm, she tags along. They go through many Disney-lite adventures, like almost falling off a cliff, and Major fighting a cougar and a bear. There are other adventures, with Danny getting into trouble and having a well-filmed motorcycle chase with the police. Like any Disney non-animated flick, all ends well and we are all entertained and left feeling good.

Welcome to the human race...
I see no explanation that can back up everything I described in that post... some could be argued for, sure, but at least a couple of those things can't be explained in a way that makes it all okay.

And either way, just in my own personal opinion, it took me out of the movie. I didn't buy the scenario and it ruined the tension and excitement for me. The movie had plenty of pacing issues, half-assed plotlines and ideas and boring characters to not make up for stupid scenes. I didn't find much that could make me enjoy it despite of a few downsides... there were too many downsides to me.

The marines in Aliens were ambushed by the aliens and it was set up well.
Forget you, then.

The characters in Prometheus were stupid so I have no doubt the kids in this will be as well. If that's boring, oh well.
Eh, in recent years I've started to realise that that's kind of a bad reason to dislike a movie. Identifying a context in which bad decisions make sense, whether dramatically or artistically, is better than just going "this sucks because the characters act stupid". Otherwise, we'd end up like that user who posted a thread about how Breaking Bad sucks because Walt's original decision to cook meth was "stupid" and "mean", even though it makes sense in the appropriate context.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Forget you, then.

Eh, in recent years I've started to realise that that's kind of a bad reason to dislike a movie. Identifying a context in which bad decisions make sense, whether dramatically or artistically, is better than just going "this sucks because the characters act stupid". Otherwise, we'd end up like that user who posted a thread about how Breaking Bad sucks because Walt's original decision to cook meth was "stupid" and "mean", even though it makes sense in the appropriate context.
I respectfully disagree. For me the characters in Prometheus were just really stupid. They were supposed to be engineers and just did stupid sht that engineers would not do. Walter is not a valid comparison. That's totally out of context.

BUT I would agree that there is a popular thing going around that professional or amature movie fans and critics just want to break down every single film in terms of logic and that is just stupid. Sitting and finding plotholes, missing character motivations, continuity errors etc is a waste of a possible good time with a movie. Even the all time greats have issues like that to some extent, so it's a pointless exercise if it's all you practice.

As stated, there was just too many things wrong with Covenant for me, but had the stated problems been less or had there been other redeeming qualities, it could have evened it out for me.

I think there's a difference between a character being stupid and character being broken in order to advance a plot. The latter is just bad writing in my opinion. When a character stops being believable, that's a problem.

(I haven't seen Covenant yet so I'm not referring to that)

I think there's a difference between a character being stupid and character being broken in order to advance a plot. The latter is just bad writing in my opinion. When a character stops being believable, that's a problem.

(I haven't seen Covenant yet so I'm not referring to that)
Great point. I didn't think of putting it that way but that is, in a few instances, definitely correct in the case of Covenant as well...

Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)

All right adventure comedy, since most humor had one underlying premise.

The Abyss (1989)

An epic under water adventure sci-fi full of nail biting tension and multitude of subplots unraveled with seamless editing. I loved the characters and general feel of this slightly forgotten blockbuster.

Bird on a Wire (1990)

Another adventure comedy that has easy demands on viewers even if rather repetitively redundant action.

Night on Earth (1991)

Jim Jarmusch compiles five stories during one night on earth. The film has his trademarks:- good script and minimalistically quirky style. Stories weren't evenly good, but I especially liked the middle one in Paris pictured below.

Mad Dog and Glory (1993)

De Niro plays coward for a change and Bill Murray is gangster who fancies himself as a comedian.

Visually stunning, slow and introverted, beautiful.
I enjoyed this movie too.

I have done my darndest over the years to watch this "masterpiece". Tried again yesterday, but had to bail out. So stilted & dated & the storyline defies belief.

I enjoyed this movie too.

I see by its current imdb rating, it's a slow grower with the audience. But if I remember correctly, kind of the same with The New World, wasn't it? At first people just complained it was boring and pretentious and then after a few years they were all over it with the love. I think this one may have a similar reception. (?)