Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Jason X

WOw, Uber Jason That first kill was hilarious I've had lots of fun with this last night. Is anyone going to make a sequel to this?

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-05-07-11h12m29s478.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	30233  

20th Century Women (2016)

anything but Zombies & vampires
Guardians of the Galaxy 6/10

anything but Zombies & vampires
Do I need to watch any other movies than Galaxy vol. 1 before watching vol. 2?
No.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Wanderers (1979)

My 3rd time seeing it since it came out. Very good film - in parts - but also very disjointed and strange. Which is fine. A lot of really nice touches like a guassian Bob Dylan lookalike shot through sheets of plastic, rockin' 50's/60's soundtrack, excellent attention to detail concerning sets, tough action sequences staged very realistically and lots of humor. But still left me scratching my head. It exists as snippets and not so much a cohesive or even satisfying narrative. Or does it? I guess it was cutting edge.
I like it even more.
The Wanderers (Philip Kaufman, 1979)
Wonderful period gang flick full of hilarity, action, sex, suspense, violent surrealism, race relations and many other things. It's also about the dawning of a new era which you will understand about when it gets near its ending. Besides being wonderfully crafted and having a great soundtrack, The Wanderers is just "out there" in its plot and presentation, whether it's dealing with the Bowling Alley Godfather, the seemingly spectral, horror movie-influenced Ducky Boys (who almost seem like they should have been in Kaufman's previous movie, The Invasion of the Body Snatchers) or the way racism and sexism seem rampant but can be overcome. I love this film.

Walk Your Way Out (Burr, 2017)

Burr has gradually devolved into a bitter old man spinning his wheels as a shock jock years after the novelty of being edgy has eroded. People who liked his comedy for ******** on traditions should be disappointed in him for defending ones that he approves of. He can see the absurdity in Amy Schumer's first world problems, but not in complaining about McDonalds serving salads. Having grown up with his work for the past decade or so, I look back on his early work like I do Eminem's. I can't separate the nostalgia from the genuine appreciation, and the new material is both derivative and past its expiration date.

Transgressive comedy is supposed to violate boundaries. There aren't any boundaries anymore, no matter how much you're convinced that some bloggers in L.A. are the majority regarding politically correct culture. Donald Trump was elected the president of the United States. You're not going against the grain anymore. You're preaching to the crowd.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Walk Your Way Out (Burr, 2017)

Burr has gradually devolved into a bitter old man spinning his wheels as a shock jock years after the novelty of being edgy has eroded. People who liked his comedy for ******** on traditions should be disappointed in him for defending ones that he approves of. He can see the absurdity in Amy Schumer's first world problems, but not in complaining about McDonalds serving salads. Having grown up with his work for the past decade or so, I look back on his early work like I do Eminem's. I can't separate the nostalgia from the genuine appreciation, and the new material is both derivative and past its expiration date.

Transgressive comedy is supposed to violate boundaries. There aren't any boundaries anymore, no matter how much you're convinced that some bloggers in L.A. are the majority regarding politically correct culture. Donald Trump was elected the president of the United States. You're not going against the grain anymore. You're preaching to the crowd.
It wasn't as good as "You People Are All The Same" (the b&w special)... Do you listen to his podcast?

It wasn't as good as "You People Are All The Same" (the b&w special)... Do you listen to his podcast?
Nah, it's a little too unfocused for me. Most of the podcasts I listen to are about stuff. His are just kind of rants that go all over the place. I remember catching Why Do I Do This? in middle or high school and finding it hysterical.

I like it even more.
Mark, I think I need to see this movie alone. I totally knew there was some pretty strange stuff happening here. My obstacle was the person I had seen this movie with at least twice prior over the years. Constant talking takes me out of the experience. This will be yet another rewatch when it becomes available to me. Last night I watched the Kino Lorber blu ray, which looks stunning! I imagine my review will be even more supportive of this film once I've had a chance to ingest it without distraction. I believe I missed some of the point of The Wanderers, which makes sense since I usually always champion films with oddball narratives.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

6/10

Watched some directorial debuts today

Bottle Rocket (1996) -

Blood Simple (1984) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

I don't actually wear pants.
I just finished watching Zootopia with the little one. It's all right. Some of it is really stupid, which I've come to expect from kiddie films, but some was okay. I guessed why the predators were savage, but I didn't get it 100% accurate (I didn't guess that "night howlers" also meant a plant). I knew I wouldn't like it much, but it isn't horrible, and it kept the kiddo's attention for a while (we watched it in three sessions).

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Bronson (2008)
+

Radical! Well done. A beautiful natural disaster. Trademark Refn. Some good lines mixed in with the nudity and vulgarity.

Charles Bronson: I gave you f*cking magic in there!
Paul: Magic? You just pissed on a gypsy in the middle of f*cking nowhere.

Whiskey Galore! (1949)

It's life during wartime, but the only problem a little Scottish island has is that they run out of whiskey. When I say it's a problem I mean it's like a tragedy for these folks. A ship runs aground during some fog that just happens to be carrying 50,000 cases of whiskey. The question then becomes who gets it. I picked this randomly off the British films list, and then read the general synopsis before watching it. I thought it was going to be really silly, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's an amusing and enjoyable movie in a quaint setting. Well worth spending 80 minutes.

Okay. I'm a Hitch fan. I've seen this movie pop up in this thread many times now, almost always with positive reviews... and somehow I still haven't seen it yet. Looks to me this might be a sign to get watching.

Get Out

I watched a few movies this weekend so I will be brief. I liked this movie, nothing really new was brought here and I pretty much guessed it all however it was still entertaining enough to not be a bore. After reading up about it there were quite a few racial references in the movie to KKK and so on. I think it was well directed and for a new director it was pretty polished. I am not sure however why there was so much hype for this other than being entertaining.

3.5/5 Stars

Labyrinth

Now I am not really sure how this is a cult classic for children. This is the first time I watched this movie and I got bored. I mean the puppets are quite well down as you would expect from Jim Henson. As for the actors/characters I could not relate to any of them and ended up disliking them. The only one I thought was enjoyable to watch was Sir Didymus the rest were just irritating. I just cannot see the appeal of the movie and I guess it is one of those fond memories you would have had as a child only to die when re watching.

1.5/5 Stars