Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Gideon, I love The Commitments! I haven't seen it in years but it's so memorable and touching and funny. The first thing I think of when I hear about this movie is "Who are your influences." And I used to love the pretty young blonde singer in the movie, but over the years I've come to really like Maria Doyle Kennedy who played Natalie. She's been in a ton of stuff over the years, including cable shows like The Tudors and Dexter. Anyway, a movie I need to purchase. Thanks for the reminder!

The Big Sleep (1946)

This is the first time I've seen this, the second time I've seen Humphrey Bogart play a hard-boiled private detective after The Maltese Falcon. He plays Philip Marlowe here. The first film is still my favorite film noir, but this is another great piece of cinematic noir featuring Bogie. In this, his Marlowe is hired by a rich, disabled man to scare a man away from his wild daughter played by the beautiful Martha Vickers, who has a habit of making the hired help fall in love her, then hanging with the wrong men, etc. etc. All kinds of bad stuff happens around her. Before he even gets out of the house after being hired, he's had a run-in with sisters, the other being the also beautiful Lauren Bacall. It all gets complicated with bodies piling up, Marlowe getting beat up, people getting shot, guns being drawn, cars tailing other cars, blackmail, Bogie hilariously pretending to be a slightly effeminate book buyer, Bacall singing at a party, etc. etc. All the good stuff that makes up a fine Bogie detective flick.

Wife vs. Secretary (1936)

The Last House on the Left (Craven, 1972)

It's not well made. It's not entertaining. The only thing I enjoyed was seeing the booby traps that Craven would reuse in The Nightmare on Elm Street. So goofy.

Bonnie's Kids (1972)

+

Bonnie is not in the movie because she is passed on. Her kids, two daughters, are now stuck living with their drunken molester stepdad. After they knock him off, they go off to live with their uncle, who happens to be a mobster with a hot little lesbian wife. One of the girls does an errand for the uncle and decides to rip him off. This is a grindhouse movie, perfect for the drive-in, and an obvious inspiration for Tarantino. The violence and nudity is not over the top, and the result is a pretty decent movie that's a lot of fun.

Is it great nope but it is entertaining and in my opinion a great improvement over Godzilla 2014. Comes across as something of a B-monster movie to me and really needs to be viewed as such if you are after and deep and clever movie look else where but if you want a entertaining monster film then I think it is worth a watch.

Amazing performance by Johnny Depp, I can't believe his performance was snubbed by the Oscars and Golden Globes.
He truly deserved an nomination for doing something great for a change. The best work his done in years.
I think he acted well but did not really bring anything new to the genre that others have done before. Guys like De Niro and Pacino paved the way for what pretty much Depp did in this. Legend with Tom Hardy I felt was done better and seemed to bring something a bit more refreshing.

Crows (Kedzierzawska, 1994)

A little girl sees affection all around her, but she can't find any for herself. She's a free spirit who runs through the desolate streets, splashes along the shore lines, dances by herself, and caws like a crow to ward off ornery little boys who only torment her. Her father is long gone. Her mother works through the nights, sleeps through the days, and spends her free time elsewhere. The bird-like girl perches along fence lines to peep on a family like the one she's been deprived of. Instead of fantasizing about being given the care she desires, she wants to care for another. It's a lonely dream, one that's beautiful and sad, demonstrating that even the innocence of youth can't escape the cruelty of the world.

Crows (Kedzierzawska, 1994)

A little girl sees affection all around her, but she can't find any for herself. She's a free spirit who runs through the desolate streets, splashes along the shore lines, dances by herself, and caws like a crow to ward off ornery little boys who only torment her. Her father is long gone. Her mother works through the nights, sleeps through the days, and spends her free time elsewhere. The bird-like girl perches along fence lines to peep on a family like the one she's been deprived of. Instead of fantasizing about being given the care she desires, she wants to care for another. It's a lonely dream, one that's beautiful and sad, demonstrating that even the innocence of youth can't escape the cruelty of the world.
Great review. I've had this on my watchlist for a while now and reading your review is making me want to bump it up and watch it already. You know, assuming I find it anywhere.

10/10
Great movie. This film absolutely excels and being both a great romance movie and a great crime movie. I'm starting to think that this might actually be Quentin Tarentinos best film ever better than Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

Gosford Park (2001)

A lot of enjoyment in watching the various characters interact with each other. Felt like I was a fly on the wall. My enthusiasm for it took a slight drop when the inspector was introduced.

Spare time with my little nephews, and

The Good Dinosaur (2015) + Angry Bird (2016)

[rating][rating]