Make Your Picks

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life -

so they're rebooting this, huh

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

I cried!
No matter what is the next project of Bong Joon-Hoo, I will be there! Okja just proved to me that he is one of the best directors in business today! An enviable filmography! The Host, Memories of Murder, Mother...
I am totally against the meat industry, I will never understand how so many people can eat 'corpses' of living beings that have been brutalized to satisfy a simple ego.
Some friends who watched the film were unanimous about the feeling of guilt after the film ended, but I believe that the reappraisal of their rotten habits of eating lives should not even be in their minds, unfortunately humanity is a lost case. That must be why I like so much to see violence and satisfy myself through the suffering of others, as long as it is fictitious of course, yet it only proves that we are all rotten.
I applaud the courage to expose this industry of egos which is the agricultural industry.
If you remember well, I live in Brazil, here is the largest forest in the world, which is incredibly destroyed every day by the meat industry. In fact, agriculture is the main cause of several of today's ecological problems.
But everyone is blinded by the taste of a fallen corpse... A corpse of a living being!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Baby Driver

(Edgar Wright)

Baby Driver falls perfectly in line with Wright's previous films in style, but offers a bit more in dramatic tone and a little less in comedy. The film still has plenty of funny moments, but it depicts a slight change in direction for him and one that hopefully opens more doors for original films.

Baby, that's B-A-B-Y, is the getaway driver for a wealthy criminal, Doc, who plots out the heists and never uses the same crew twice. Baby insists he is done after one last job, but Doc is willing to threaten the lives of the people Baby loves, including his new waitress girlfriend Debora, if he doesn't pull one more stunt.

Going into a Wright film, you have a sense of what to expect. Hot Fuzz was a parody of action films to the point where a simple moment of putting on your jacket was made to look like a chaotic action sequence. With Baby Driver, Wright continues this style, but squarely plants the film itself into that world that Hot Fuzz was parodying. This is done with self awareness though, and never becomes a problem. Instead, it highlights the originality of the film and the world Wright has created. It's a heightened reality and music plays an important role in it. To the point where it feels more like a love letter to music than heist films. This is even more apparent when you realize that we never really get to see the heists. We stay with Baby in the car and subvert those expectations. We are with Baby and his music the whole way.

As I said earlier, music is important to this film and ever aspect of it revolves around that. Camera work, action sequences, character movements, dialogue, plot devices, the list goes on. For something that important, the music should be good. Wright manages to explore enough genres to please most people and I found myself really digging the playlists. Music is Baby's world and we live in it for 2 hours almost non-stop. To the point where when there is no music playing, it feels out of place. I fully expect people to go out and buy the soundtrack and at no point did I feel as if any of it was forced, like Suicide Squad.

I guess you want to know about the car chase sequences, those are thrilling for people looking for excitement. Wright gives us enough unique moments to make those memorable and it's needed because car chases are a staple in Hollywood movies. You want to see something new and Baby Driver delivers enough of a spin to make it seems fresh. The film balances itself out with plenty of small quiet sequences that focus on character. Baby's dedication to take care of his aging foster father is touching. They communicate through sign language, which adds another layer to the complicated character that is Baby. Then we have some tender moments with Baby and Debora. A love at first sight relationship that blooms due to charm, appreciation of music and the aspirations to just be on the open road.

Baby Driver is stylish and charges to you at full speed. With the camera almost constantly moving, it never feels slow, even in those quiet moments. The cast nail their roles with just a hint of self awareness. Spacey can be intimidating in his sleep and Foxx has no problem playing someone with a few screw lose moments. At the very least, when you walk away from this movie you can say that you had a fun time, this movie has plenty of those moments to make it great.

Suspect's Reviews

Hope to see this on your 40's list Chyp!
You never know - might make it my one-pointer

Almost famous for having nailed Madonna once

Unregistered User

Raw (2016)

Slightly disappointed in this but that's probably more to do with my own expectations. It was good. Certainly not as disturbing or gruesome that I had expected and I had a few issues with the plot but its a decent effort. There's plenty of other French horrors that you will go to first but its ok for a rainy day.

Professional horse shoe straightener
Raw (2016)

Slightly disappointed in this but that's probably more to do with my own expectations. It was good. Certainly not as disturbing or gruesome that I had expected and I had a few issues with the plot but its a decent effort. There's plenty of other French horrors that you will go to first but its ok for a rainy day.

I found that it was just too one dimensional.

WARNING: "Raw" spoilers below
Once we realise that this is all just an allegory / symbol for the pressures of society - we know that it's not really real. So there's nowhere else for it to go really.

That's what was so amazing about Neon Demon - in that there are loads of things that keep you guessing and thinking long after the film has finished. This was just straight up linear horror story masquerading as a metaphor for complying with social norms.

That said it was still way better than alot of other films released this year.

Professional horse shoe straightener

I cried!
No matter what is the next project of Bong Joon-Hoo, I will be there! Okja just proved to me that he is one of the best directors in business today! An enviable filmography! The Host, Memories of Murder, Mother...
I am totally against the meat industry, I will never understand how so many people can eat 'corpses' of living beings that have been brutalized to satisfy a simple ego.
Some friends who watched the film were unanimous about the feeling of guilt after the film ended, but I believe that the reappraisal of their rotten habits of eating lives should not even be in their minds, unfortunately humanity is a lost case. That must be why I like so much to see violence and satisfy myself through the suffering of others, as long as it is fictitious of course, yet it only proves that we are all rotten.
I applaud the courage to expose this industry of egos which is the agricultural industry.
If you remember well, I live in Brazil, here is the largest forest in the world, which is incredibly destroyed every day by the meat industry. In fact, agriculture is the main cause of several of today's ecological problems.
But everyone is blinded by the taste of a fallen corpse... A corpse of a living being!
Oh man glad you enjoyed this. You're my go to MOFO for Asian Directors. I can't wait for it.

Unregistered User
I found that it was just too one dimensional.

WARNING: "Raw" spoilers below
Once we realise that this is all just an allegory / symbol for the pressures of society - we know that it's not really real. So there's nowhere else for it to go really.

That's what was so amazing about Neon Demon - in that there are loads of things that keep you guessing and thinking long after the film has finished. This was just straight up linear horror story masquerading as a metaphor for complying with social norms.

That said it was still way better than alot of other films released this year.

100% agree. I pre-ordered Neon Demon straight after I first watched it.

Honeymoon (2014)

I liked that one quite a bit, I remember!
My friend has been a big fan for years. He would single out moments from the book that weren't the movie, telling me that the movie was a lot messier and not as well made (which I know is pretty typical). He also told me he liked the sequel "This Book is Full of Spiders".

Baby Driver (2017) -

It's that music video with Noel Fielding turned into a proper film, and I am totally on board with that.

While it was a little uneven at times, Baby Driver is full of energy and refreshingly stylish. The film is at its best when it blends the action on-screen to the beat of the soundtrack, in the same way Wright worked "Don't Stop Me Now" into Shaun of the Dead, and I would've loved to see more of that throughout the film. Strangely, I think I liked Jon Hamm's character a lot more than the titular Baby, who I found to be a rather bland and uninteresting. I wasn't very engaged when the plot focused on Baby and Deborah, but Baby alone in a car, or with the rotating cast of supporting characters worked really well.

Like the main character, I also suffer from tinnitus. Unlike him, however, I would make a terrible getaway driver.

Power Rangers (2017)

I came into this thinking this was going to be terrible but was surprised it was not that bad. I was of an era growing up with the original series and movie and man they are cheesy going back and watching them now. This did not really have the cheese and change the characters to be outcasts instead of goody goody teens. They were however very cliche characters and did not have too much depth to them. I guess the hard this with this movie was the demographic they were aiming for. It did not quite hit the mark for nostalgia and did not seem to hit the mark for new viewers of the franchise. If you go into it looking for a decent action movie with teenagers in it then it goes pretty well in that regard.

The CGI at times was a bit choppy especially when the character Kimberly jumps into the water at the start. Other times it was quite good with the Zoids in the final scenes of the movie. Overall it was pretty good but I think most of the criticisms come from the over saturated superhero market.

2.5/5 Stars

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
The Sting (1973)

Robert Redford, Paul Newman

Was looking for a good poker film that wasn't Rounders and IMDB suggested this. Whilst it didn't contain the poker action I was expecting, bar one nice scene, I really enjoyed the film. Something of a lost art, the movie doesn't shy away from a long run time, really taking it's time and exploring, for lack of a better word, charming characters. Redford reminds me of Brad Pitt in terms of looks but I find him a far more interesting actor. Basically the movie is a good time which holds the test of time. I'd definately rewatch it.

4/5