Silent Film Era Hall of Fame

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Killing?! Who's talking about killing? Good torture will do.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I will have the results posted in just a bit. I want to double check the final numbers as I had to cut out the one film from a couple of lists as it will not be included now.

Silent Film Era Hall of Fame
The Results

5. The Crowd (11 points)
4. The Big Parade (14 points)
3. Diary of a Lost Girl (15)
2. Sunrise (17)

and in first place....

Wings
Nominated by Citizen Rules
18 points

Congratulations to CR!! I suppose it is only fitting that the first Best Picture winner should also be the first winner of a silent film HoF.

Hey my nomination won, cool I just noticed how close in points all 5 of the films were.

5. The Crowd (11 points)
4. The Big Parade (14 points)
3. Diary of a Lost Girl (15 points)
2. Sunrise (17 points)
1. Wings(18 points)

So it looks like there was fans of each of these films. I really enjoyed watching all of them! Each was amazing in it's own ways. About the only silent film I didn't care for was Orphans of the Storm.

I really enjoyed this HoF, it was neat to watch a bunch of great classic silent films...and I hadn't seen any of them before, except my own. Kind of sad most people won't bother watching them, silent films are a unique viewing experience that is much different than a talkie.

Thanks Vamp! for hosting this, I do hope you will do another one of these

Congrats on the win Citizen . Looks like Vamp not liking Sunrise as much as everyone else was the difference maker. Wings is the only one i've seen; i didn't like it at the time but it was my first silent film and i barely remember it so who knows what i'd think now. Funny how the top two are from the same year and they both won different best film awards at the first oscars.

Good job on hosting Vamp

Care for some gopher?
Change places one and two and you have my list.

Thank you very much for hosting this HoF, Vamp! Really looking forward to a second one.

It's a shame you didn't PM me. I would have finished up. I saw Raul's post, but I suppose by the time you posted, there was too much election excitement going on in life. Hopefully if this is ever done again, more people will join in, and maybe if it helps with the members involved, all silent movies will be allowed. Five movies isn't much of any competition. Oh well, life can get complicated, and interrupt a lot of things. It sure got in my way. Word!!!

Probably the most disappointed I've been in my nomination not winning but no sour grapes.
I really liked your movie. It was right up my alley. You probably don't want to hear that now, though. I will still finish this. It may take a few extra days, now. I have to get some pissed off music picked out first.

Only 5 movies but it was one of my favorite Hall of Fames. I thought all 5 were fantastic, and each one would have made my top 2 or 3 in a normal sized general Hall of Fame.

My votes-

1. Sunrise
2. Diary of a Lost Girl
3. The Crowd
4. Wings
5. The Big Parade

Congrats CR and thank you Vamp!

I am seriously tired. I tried like hell earlier on to figure out how I missed this . . . I lost the net early yesterday morning, until early this evening. Duh! Anyways, the 1-800-Comcast guy had me just a pinch weirded out last night, because when we first got on the phone, he told me he wanted to make sure he helped me as quickly as possible. He said that he didn't want to make me wait on a return call, so we'd just stay on the phone during all the restarts, updates, etc . . . That we could just kill the time talking. He then confirmed my address, and let me know that he used to live on the street right behind my house, and that he lived in the house right behind mine. That he knew right where I lived. Yeah, it was just a bit weird. Anyways, lucky for me, someone else showed up for the repairs. Anyways, I was too busy to sleep, so my brain went to ***** when I first saw this thread. So yeah, no net equals no reply. Oh well!

Looks like Vamp not liking Sunrise as much as everyone else was the difference maker.
I wasn't the only one, actually. But let's say that "Nosferatu" would've remained in (even without Destiny sending in a list and cricket not including it in his), the placement of the films were pretty much in the same order. The number one and two spots would've stayed the same. I can't tell you how the numbers figured out exactly right now because it is on my computer at home, of course (and if you've seen the 1940's post, you know why I can't access the file right now). But there really wasn't a tremendous difference with the other films on the list. I don't know how Destiny's list would've affected things, if at all. But the order was still pretty much the same.

It's a shame you didn't PM me. I would have finished up
I am sorry if there was some miscommunication. I took your post to mean that you were going to check the thread before you attempted to finish watching the films. And that you were going to check it the night you posted that (and I think I let it go one more day). And when you didn't say anything, I figured that you weren't able to get back online in time. So, perhaps it was just a case of miscommunication. If so, I apologize.

Hopefully if this is ever done again, more people will join in, and maybe if it helps with the members involved, all silent movies will be allowed. Five movies isn't much of any competition.
Here is my deal with this. If this is ever done again (and I believe I have enough interest to do another one), I am going to keep the same rules. Why? Because there was nothing wrong with my original rules. All I was doing was trying to showcase films that get neglected out there, and they seem to be anything before 1930. A silent from the 30's could easily get nominated in a general HoF or even a 1930's HoF. So I don't think having a cutoff year is that terrible. While there have been some 1920's films in other HoF's, they will still be less apt to get nominated than one from the 30's. Also, I really did not appreciate the way that I was treated when I started this HoF. I am a pretty fair person. If anyone had any complaints about what I was doing, I would've appreciated it having been done so privately rather than trying to bash my idea publicly. If I would've been approached privately about the "problem" that it was perceived to be, I maybe would've been more lenient. But as it was handled the way that it was, I have no interest to ever change my mind on my original rules. Period. I don't care to talk about any of that anymore.

Now, as for how many films there were, there were originally 8. 2 members dropped out and then one wasn't finished, of course. But 8 films were a decent number of films. I did say in my original post that if we didn't reach that, we could all nominate TWO films. So, if by chance it should be the same number of people in a second one, then people can have two nominations. If they want to stick with one, that is OK, too.

Another one won't happen for awhile yet, anyway. I know Friendly Mushroom really wanted to be a part of this. And whenever another one of these should happen again, I would like to do it at a time when he could fully participate. And with his participation, that would instantly be another movie in competition.

In the end, it will all work out fine again.