Australian Films

Tools    

MovieForums Extra

Well, since a thread about English films was sarted. I gotta start one about Aussie films! How do people in the USA react to films made in Australia, like for example Shine, Strictly Ballrom, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Crocodile Dundee, Chopper etc.? If anyone watched the closing ceremony of the Olympics, you would have noticed that there was a tribute to the Aussie movie industry...so, do you reckon they're great, crap or plain ordinary?

Two words:

Mad Max

A great film!

I liked Croc Dundee too - not to keen on that Muriel's Wedding rubbish though. Haven't seen Chopper, but heard about it.

Hmm, haven't really seen enough Aussie films to make a decent judgement... but Neighbours is great .

MovieForums Extra
Aaaaaahhhhh!! Don't remind me about that, Neighbours has got to be the worst piece of garbage to come out of Australia, I think it should be declared a national shame, and we should have a day called Neighbours' Day when we all observe a minute's silence !!

Chopper is a great movie, it's a violent dark comedy, but it won a lot of awards in OZ...by the way, did you know that they're filming Crocodile Dundee 3?? And another thing I just remembered, The Matrix was filmed entirely on location in Sydney, so was most of MI-2, and Star Wars Episode 2 is being filmed there as well?!

But you can't deny that Neighbours has wheeled out some awesome babe-age recently .

I think I heard that they were doing a Croc Dundee 3 - Paul Hogan again, I assume?

Funny you should mention The Matrix, I watched it again the other day, and that's when my mates that I was watching it with told me that it was filmed in Australia and that they'd been to most of the landmarks that you see there . Didn't know about MI2 though, or Star Wars.

Tell me Zeph, out of interest, what's your take on the monarchy?

I saw the New Zealand film, Once Were Warriors and thought it was stunning. And I saw the Mad Max films once upon a time ago and don't exactly remember the details.

Mel Gibson is in negotiations to film a fourth one in the next two years...

MovieForums Extra
Ok, I'll grant you that about the babe-age But I think the show is comparable to the Bold and the Beautiful or Donahue

Yeah, Paul Hogan is starring in it, this time with some major plastic surgery to stretch his youthfull features!
[red]POSSIBLE SPOLIERS BELOW![/red]
I also saw the Matrix yesterday in fact...you know that scene when they put Neo in the program for the first time, when Morpheus shows him the remains of the scorched Earth?? That's a shot of Sydney before and supposedly after, and also the scene where they shoot the hell out of that building when they're rescuing Morpheus, that's a bank (not sure which one) I've also been to the set when they were filming MI-2, didn't see Cruise though (you wouldn't believe the security!).

Zephyrus was the West Wind (the name is the Greek version), out of the four winds he was the only good and kind wind, the other three were very destructive
[Edited by TWTCommish on 01-03-2001]

Also when he's hanging off the helicopter you can identify some of the more distinct buildings .

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Isn't Dundee 3 supposed to take place in L.A.?

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Aussie films are cool, i've enjoyed a bunch.

Once Were Warriors -- really good
Romper Stomper -- REALLY good

which turned me on to Russell Crowe before he got famous and made me watch a couple of his other movies (heaven's burning)

a couple Anthony LaPaglia movies - not great stuff, but the Aussies have a knack for humor - Paperback Romance

i kinda liked Muriel's Wedding

loved Shine

have only seen parts of strictly ballroom but really want to see it ... someday ...

all 3 of the Matrices (heheh) were/are to be filmed in Australia

MovieForums Extra

I think Croc. Dundee 3 is supposed to take place in LA, but I'm sure that they were filming at least parts of it in Oz, I remember there being something on the news about the movie finishing it's filming in Australia...

OK, I knew that Matrix 2 is being filmed at the moment, but I didn't know that they were planning to make a whole trilogy out of it?!?! The first Matrix is allright in itself.

It was meant to be a trilogy but they were waiting to see how the first one would do. They're filming Matrix 2 & 3 back to back and apparently, they'll be released similarly. There's plenty of information to be had on the Internet about the sequels.

MovieForums Extra

Sounds like a good idea actually...so, do you know anything about them? I mean, after the performance of the first Matrix, there will surely be very high expectations by the public both in terms of special fx and twists and complications in the plot! Are they coming out this year?

Ech. Russell Crowe. Something about him gives me the creeps.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
creepy he may be (i disagree but he's still a very good actor. very intense. a bit of an
@ss though.

MovieForums Extra

Russel Crowe's an allright actor, he can act better than many out there, but he's not anythig special, certainly not up to all the hype he's recieved after Gladiator...

mmmm...Russell Crowe, but he's not why I'm posting.

Isn't Heath Ledger already signed on to play the son of Mad Max for #4 with Gibson still in negotiations? I remember when Patriot came out that people were saying Max 4 would be a "father-son" reunion of sorts.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

If you're looking for something a little off-beat, check out these titles:

Ghosts...of the Civil Dead (creepy look at commercialization of prison systems with Nick Cave as a madman)
Angel Baby (Jacqueline McKenzie in quirky romantic comedy/tragedy)
Kiss or Kill (Bill Bennett's stylistic thriller).

And you can't go past Aussie cinema without looking at some of the classics, like Peter Weir's Gallipoli.

Pity Aussie television hasn't yet hit the heights of our cinema.

MovieForums Extra
I just remembered one...has anyone seen The Dish? New release, just came out last year. Apparently it was a big success in the States. WHat did you think?

I have seen my fair share of Aussie movies, and to be perfectly honest I haven't been impressed by any of them. I think the best one I have seen is Wolf Creek. Maybe because I secretly wanted the victims to die because they were so stupid and it just frustrated me so I guess seeing them die made it more enjoyable to watch.

Maybe Muriels wedding is the best comedy but yeah, Australia have a LONG way to go in the film industry. Hence why Aussies go to the US or UK because they know they will have a chance of being in a blockbuster movie even if it is a small part or even a B Grade movie. I guess they would prefer to be in an US B Grade movie than an Aussie film.