Does anyone have a favorite Western?

Tools    

After watching Hatfields and McCoys, which by the way was a great mini-series. I'm curious what everyone's favorite western might be.
Mine would be:

Tombstone (1993)

Absolute Favorite:

3:10 to Yuma (2007)

Others (in no order):

The Quick and the Dead (1995)

Silverado (1985)

Tombstone (1993)

Dances With Wolves (1990)

Open Range (2003)

Can you tell I like Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner?

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Tombstone would be my favorite.

And I am probably the only one that really liked Appaloosa, I just really liked that big ass shotgun he carried.

I haven't seen a ton of them, but my favorite 3 would be Unforgiven (cliche answer, I know), Once Upon a Time in the West, and Open Range. The final shootout in Open Range is just awesome.

that's what she said...
I honestly have no seen too many Westerns... I saw True Grit (2010) and really liked that so I guess that would have to be my favorite.

For some reason when I think of "my favorite western", this movie -a fav in my childhood- comes to mind... (Although it's technically NOT a western, haha)

So the Western genre was invented some time in the 1980s????

Here are a few stone-cold classics that you really ought to check out:

Stagecoach (1939)
Destry Rides Again (1939)
My Darling Clementine (1946)
Fort Apache (1948)
Winchester '73 (1950)
Bend of the River (1952)
High Noon (1952)
The Naked Spur (1953)
The Far Country (1955)
The Searchers (1956)
3:10 to Yuma (1957 - not the god-awful 2007 remake)
One-Eyed Jacks (1961)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
Ride the High Country (1962)
Hud (1963)
The Wild Bunch (1969)
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

There's easily another fifty or so westerns from the 30s-60s that are well worth a watch (and hundreds that aren't).

So the Western genre was invented some time in the 1980s????

My Darling Clementine (1946)
3:10 to Yuma (1957)

I thought both these movies were terrible. Yuma was good up until the arbitrary (and stupid) happy ending, but Clementine? That one was irritating from the start, especially in regards to Doc Holliday (and I say that as someone who loves Victor Mature). I mean, I'm no stickler for historical accuracy but that was just ridiculous.

Also, do keep in mind that the question was regarding favorite Westerns, not best.

I thought both these movies were terrible. Yuma was good up until the arbitrary (and stupid) happy ending, but Clementine? That one was irritating from the start, especially in regards to Doc Holliday (and I say that as someone who loves Victor Mature). I mean, I'm no stickler for historical accuracy but that was just ridiculous.
TBH I wouldn't die in a ditch over the 57 Yuma - it's a very watchable, unpretentious movie with some nice, tense moments (the ending doesn't bother me at all, btw) but probably not in the same league as most of the others. Glenn Ford has never been better, but that's not really saying a huge amount, is it? The thing that annoyed me about the remake was that linking it to the earlier film was completely pointless and counter-productive. Those who loved the first film (like me) were bound to be annoyed by all the big explosions and over-the-top gun fights, while those who just wanted to see a modern, high-octane western wouldn't give a flying stuff that it was loosely based on some old black and white B-movie staring no-one in particular. I'd have probably enjoyed it more if they'd called it something else.

As for Clementine... COME ON! It's a great, great movie. I'll grant you Mature wins the "World's Least Convincing Consumptive" award hands-down, but that aside there's some tremendous interplay between him and Fonda - and Fonda himself has rarely been better (and that really is saying something); his startlingly original portrayal of Wyatt Earp is a joy to watch as he effortlessly combines toughness, gentleness and quiet humour. The film itself is also one of John Ford's most thoughtful (and optimistic) explorations of the cost and benefit of establishing civilisation. Finally, it is beautifully framed and photographed. An all-round class act.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Either The Outlaw Josey Wales or The Wild Bunch. I throughly enjoyed Lonesome Dove as well. It was a t.v. Mini- series, but it counts since one inspired this thread.

The thing that annoyed me about the remake was that linking it to the earlier film was completely pointless and counter-productive. Those who loved the first film (like me) were bound to be annoyed by all the big explosions and over-the-top gun fights, while those who just wanted to see a modern, high-octane western wouldn't give a flying stuff that it was loosely based on some old black and white B-movie staring no-one in particular. I'd have probably enjoyed it more if they'd called it something else.
If we're going by that logic, then neither film should be called 3:10 to Yuma. IMO, the 1957 film took far more liberties with its source material than the remake did.

As for Clementine... COME ON! It's a great, great movie. I'll grant you Mature wins the "World's Least Convincing Consumptive" award hands-down, but that aside there's some tremendous interplay between him and Fonda - and Fonda himself has rarely been better (and that really is saying something); his startlingly original portrayal of Wyatt Earp is a joy to watch as he effortlessly combines toughness, gentleness and quiet humour. The film itself is also one of John Ford's most thoughtful (and optimistic) explorations of the cost and benefit of establishing civilisation. Finally, it is beautifully framed and photographed. An all-round class act.
It isn't a great movie. And the fact that Mature plays a very unconvincing consumptive is the least of my problems with the Holliday character. Doc Holliday was a dentist who died of tuberculosis, not a surgeon who was killed in a gunfight. Of the three films I've seen based on Earp, Holliday and the famous gunfight, IMO Tombstone struck the best balance of entertainment and accuracy. I'd take Russell and Kilmer over Fonda and Mature any day and I typically can't stand Val Kilmer.