Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I feel like context is one of the most important things for enjoying the larger catalogue of films.
If one does not know that this was 1941, that the Film Noir genre did not yet exist, and that this was Humphrey Bogart's breakout role from being considered a supporting actor in Hollywood, perhaps one might think this was a run of the mill Bogie ganster/noir flick.
But with that context, one actually watches the movie differently, noticing all the things audiences were seeing for the first time... not the least of which is a certain future screen legend who would actually not even get top billing in a film in which he is clearly the lead. That would go to Ida Lupino, the bigger star at the time.
Given that context, there is a lot to take in and appreciate and enjoy here. It's a genuinely good ganster flick that goes pretty dark by the end. Bogart is perfect. Simply perfect. Ida Lupino is no slouch either, by the way. The story is good and the bones of it would make a prototype for so many films to come. It's and exciting and also kinda sad film. The hero of the movie, in the era of the Hays Code, is a criminal, a robber who can be as ruthless as any, but one with a soul and someone to love. In the era of the Hays Code, we all know what must happen to him (and her). But we are taken there with both excitement and empathy. We know we shouldn't be rooting for him, but dammit, we just can't help it.
If you're a fan of old crime films, you wanna see "pre-Noir", you wanna see Humphrey Bogart's breakout role, or hell, maybe you wanna see Ida Lupino, this is a movie worth seeing.
Big fan of HS. Bogie’s career is interesting in that so many of the roles that made him iconic were roles that he only got because George Raft, the bigger gangster star, turned down. Now which one is the Hollywood legend?

I think HS would be especially interesting to modern viewers not only for its place in Bogie’s career but in its influence that reaches all the way to today. Hell or High Water not only follows the general formula of empathetic criminal breaking the law for somewhat noble means, but also lifting the climax almost directly.

Wonderful movie! Tierney was one of the most beautiful woman to ever be in Hollywood films. And no one was more suave or debonair than Jose Ferrer.... that voice!

The story is one of many in the 1940s that explored the use of hypnotism. This one was a beauty.
Indeed. I will have to watch it (Whirlpool,1950) again. When I started, I was doing something else, only half paying attention and then got hooked on it. Between the movie's looks, Tierney's looks and Ferrar's accent, this one seems worth a second view, paying better attention.

In a previous career time, I actually took a psych course that went into hypnotism and this was interesting for that reason. Unfortunately, however, this being classic Hollywood, their take on the science of that subject was rather cinematic.

'Mank' (2020)

Dir.: David Fincher.

Looks pretty awesome on the big screen. Some brilliant photography, set design and costume design. Pretty good cast and that era of Old Hollywood is captured perfectly. I'm not sure it's the 5 star masterpiece some critics are making it out to be but it's entertaining. The story of Herman J. Mankiewicz is told well for the most part with his struggles to write the screenplay of Citizen Kane the main theme. I did feel there were some historical inaccuracies towards the end, although it all just adds to the mystery of the movie.

7.6/10

Welcome to Hard Times - For some reason I thought this had a higher rating and was therefore worthy of a watch. But it was corny in that dated 60's way with material that's been reused dozens of times in like minded westerns. But I suppose that can be explained away by it being originally produced for television. It was also distressingly talky. Maybe it was the cast that first drew me in. Henry Fonda stars with Aldo Ray as the villain and it had plenty of supporting talent like Warren Oates and loads of character actors like Keenan Wynn, Edgar Buchanan, Royal Dano, Lon Chaney Jr., Denver Pyle and Elisha Cook Jr. Janis Paige also contributes a sketchy Irish accent. And I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it might have influenced Blazing Saddles along with a scene that The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean apparently lifted in it's entirety. All in all though I don't think anyone should bother with this. 60/100

ZAPPA (2020)

Written and directed by Alex Winter (The Panama Papers, Bill & Ted Face the Music), this is a well put together accolade to iconoclastic jazz/rock composer/musician Frank Zappa. The subject matter is enhanced by Winter's exclusive authorized access to Zappa's massive personal archive --known as "The Vault"-- containing many thousands of audio and video recordings and memorabilia covering his private and public life's work from aged 16 to his death at 52.

Zappa was a life-long compulsive recorder and editor, frequently compiling recordings consisting of sessions or concerts recorded sometimes years apart. Similarly Mr. Winter does a clever job of selecting and arranging bits of Zappa interviews, stage performances, and TV appearances. There is lots of behind-the-scenes and previously discussed revelations about Zappa, his family, his political views, his philosophy of music and composition, and his personal activities. It must have been a daunting task to delve into all that material, and try to capsulize it into a two hour documentary.

Illuminating interviews were featured from some of the phenomenal musicians I had the pleasure of playing with in Zappa's Mothers of Invention: Ruth Underwood, Bunk Gardner and Ian Underwood, along with guitarists Steve Vai, and Mike Keneally, and others.

If there was any shortcoming in the documentary it was the absence of anything negative about the subject; and there were no interviews of any of Frank's children: Moon, Dweezil, Ahmet or Diva. Authorized by the Zappa Family Trust, the film is more of a tribute or homage rather than a stark expose or journalistic piece. But it's so packed with information and rare concert footage, that the film speeds by to its touching conclusion. Zappa was one of the most fascinating composers/musicians of the 20th Century, and his life and times are well represented in this first rate documentary.

Available for rent from many outlets.

Doc's rating: 9/10

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Evergreen (Joe Duca, 2019)
5.5/10
That Touch of Mink (Delbert Mann, 1962)
+ 6.5/10
Mags and Julie Go on a Road Trip (Ryann London, 2020)
+ 5/10
Indiscreet (Stanlet Donen, 1958)
7/10

Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman have a battle of wits in between loving each other.
Some of the Best: Twenty-Five Years of Motion Picture Leadership (No Director Listed, 1949)
7/10
Notes for My Son (Carlos Sorin, 2020)
6/10
Faith (Eli Daughdrill, 2019)
5/10
Too Many Kisses (Paul Sloane, 1925)
5.5/10

Harpo Marx and William Powell are two of the baddies trying to break up Richard Dix and Frances Howard in Basque Country.
Buddy Games (Josh Duhamel, 2019)
5/10
Our Time Will Come (Ann Hui, 2017)
5.5/10
Mosul (Matthew Michael Carnahan, 2019)
6.5/10
Getting to Know You (Joan Carr-Wiggin, 2020)
6/10

Through a series of complications, Rupert Penry-Jones and Natasha Little pose as a married couple in a mature yet crazy rom dramedy.
Sinful (Rich Mallery, 2020)
5/10
Flap (Carol Reed, 1970)
5.5/10
Body (Dan Berk & Robert Olsen, 2015)
5/10
Sheitan AKA Satan (John Kim Chapiron, 2006)
5.5/10

Vincent Cassel is disgusting and insane in this unclassifiable film.
In My End is My Beginning (Min Kyu-dong, 2009)
5.5/10
Centigrade (Brendan Walsh, 2020)
5/10
Are You Glad I'm Here (Noor Gharzeddine, 2018)
6/10
Strange Lady in Town (Mervyn LeRot, 1955)
6.5/10

Greer Garson and Dana Andrews as two doctors in an eventful 1880 Santa Fe, New Mexico.

I feel like context is one of the most important things for enjoying the larger catalogue of films.
If one does not know that this was 1941, that the Film Noir genre did not yet exist, and that this was Humphrey Bogart's breakout role from being considered a supporting actor in Hollywood, perhaps one might think this was a run of the mill Bogie ganster/noir flick.
But with that context, one actually watches the movie differently, noticing all the things audiences were seeing for the first time... not the least of which is a certain future screen legend who would actually not even get top billing in a film in which he is clearly the lead. That would go to Ida Lupino, the bigger star at the time.
Given that context, there is a lot to take in and appreciate and enjoy here.
That's a good point, Wooley. It raises an issue that always surprises me: that people who tend to diss old films tend to compare them against contemporary films; and after which the older films' plots, style, stories and technical aspects have been imitated time and again.

I too like to imagine seeing a film and all of its innovation as if it were being watched at the time it was released.

I know what you mean about the film noir genre not yet existing in 1941. You're referring to film noir as a formally recognized style. As you know there were plenty of noir films from the '30s, and some argue even from the '20s. I forget --Billy Wilder or someone-- said that he didn't know he was making film noir, he was just trying to make a good picture.

Hot Fuzz, 2007

All last month people have been scheduling important things for today, and I would go "Oh, heh. That's my birthday." Thus today I had three different important meetings in addition to a regular teaching day. I say "regular", but a Zoom issue meant that I spent the first 30 minutes of the day trying to teach and provide e-mail tech support to frustrated parents at the same time.

It's been, you might say, a day.

In the need of comfort food in every definition of the word, I turned to an old favorite.

Man, how much do I love this movie? From beginning to end it is PERFECT. The dialogue; the performances; the edits; the swan. Wright's flair for visual communication (like a night at the pub where increasingly smaller denominations are passed over the bar) is in top form here, and the central story/mystery is full of twists and turns until the very end.

There is literally nothing that I can fault in this film (aside from maybe one gory set-piece that is a bit too much for me, but that I also recognize is hilarious).

Nothing picks up my mood like Hot Fuzz. For me it's a prime example of "if you could only ever watch 3 movies for the rest of your life . . ."

Victim of The Night
That's a good point, Wooley. It raises an issue that always surprises me: that people who tend to diss old films tend to compare them against contemporary films; and after which the older films' plots, style, stories and technical aspects have been imitated time and again.

I too like to imagine seeing a film and all of its innovation as if it were being watched at the time it was released.

I know what you mean about the film noir genre not yet existing in 1941. You're referring to film noir as a formally recognized style. As you know there were plenty of noir films from the '30s, and some argue even from the '20s. I forget --Billy Wilder or someone-- said that he didn't know he was making film noir, he was just trying to make a good picture.
Yeah, I think I first learned this maybe from Bonnie and Clyde. There's a moment when I said to myself, "Holy ****, that must have freaked people out in 1967. That's like Pulp Fiction in '94 ****." And the clouds parted for me.

And vis a vis "noir" versus "Noir", yeah, I am specifically referring to The Maltese Falcon (released later that year) commonly being referred to as The First Film Noir.

And vis a vis "noir" versus "Noir", yeah, I am specifically referring to The Maltese Falcon (released later that year) commonly being referred to as The First Film Noir.
It wasn't even Peter Lorre's first Noir.

It's Takoma's birthday? Happy birthday then!
Thank you!

I celebrated by cooking a meal for one, watching a movie under a blanket on the couch, and finishing (FINALLY) knitting a hat.

I'm really leaning into the spinster vibe.

Knife in The Water. ( 1962) Roman Polanski

Most of the story take place on a sailboat. A married couple decide to bring a hiker they picked up by the road, along to go sailing on their boat.
Polanskis first feature film.

The Last Picture Show (1973) Peter Bogdanovich

Paper Moon (1971) Peter Bogdanovich.

Rocco and His Brothers. (1960) Luchino Visconti
A big italian family move to Milan to start a new life.

Rocco and his Brother Simone both have a talent for boxing. The role as Rocco is played by Alain Delon ( Le Samouraï,1967).