The Mighty Celestial's Top 100 Movies

→ in
Tools    

Great films!!Tons of films that I love!
Nice of you to notice John Cazale,I haven't seen him in a bad film yet.

Yes,but he is great in all of those films.He was an extremely talented actor but I feel that he doesn't get enough praise.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Super list! you could say, impressive.....most impressive

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Nice to see In America. I had that in my top ten when I first joined this forum. It's not that high anymore, but it's still on my list if I ever get it done. It's a great film family; Paddy Considine, Samantha Morton, and those wonderful sisters, how can you go wrong? It also has Djimon Hounsou, who is just great.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Great films!!Tons of films that I love!
Nice of you to notice John Cazale,I haven't seen him in a bad film yet.
For the second time last night I fell asleep when "The Conversation" was on TV, with Gene Hackman and John Cazale.

Really annoyed.

Out of all feature Cazale films,The Conversation is my least favorite.But even if I disliked it,his performance was solid.

Nice to see In America. I had that in my top ten when I first joined this forum. It's not that high anymore, but it's still on my list if I ever get it done. It's a great film family; Paddy Considine, Samantha Morton, and those wonderful sisters, how can you go wrong? It also has Djimon Hounsou, who is just great.
Yep.
I just recently watched it again & the thought occurred to me "How come I never put this list on my top 100 list?".
That's what inspired that post.

Kick Ass
Kick Ass is a just a "normal" kid who decides to fight crime with no superpowers or experience,
Red Mist follows suit using dad's money & the Mistmobile,
Big Daddy shows everybody how it's done,
& Hit Girl....well, she practically steals the whole show.
A foul-mouthed fun-filled over the top action flick that's probably not for the faint-hearted.

Kick Ass kicks ass.

29. Jaws
Okay, let's be honest here....

...at some point in life,
we're ALL gonna need a bigger boat.

27. Dead Man Walking
A movie that excellently shows both sides without taking either one.
When Susan Sarandan's character exposes to Sean Penn's the real extent of his racism " ... so it's lazy people that you don't like...?"
& then when she finally has him take responsiblity for his sins as a "true son of God", are two of my favorite scenes in any movie, ever.

26. Dumb & Dumber

For me, there is no other way that I can describe this movie other than saying that it's just plain stupid, simple & funny.
Which is probably why it is not only one of my favorite movies of all time, but also, my favorite comedy ever (so far).

25. Terminator 2: Judgment Day

The Terminatah is bock.
And this time, it's personal.
Or more appropriately,
this time, it's personalized.

This movie is one of those rare times where an original that was already pretty bad-ass is followed up by a sequel that is even more bad-asser.
As someone who enjoys the category of science fiction probably more than any other genre when it comes to films, I seriously think that Judgment Day, along with his efforts on Aliens, shows why there should be a law that states that James Cameron should be in charge of directing all sequels from now on.
After a going thru a summer this year that has been epitomized by listlessly plotted blockbusters such as the other movie known as T-2 (Michael Bay's), this T-2 is a reminder that even though a certain degree of suspension of belief is required from one's brain in order to accept a movie about battling robots, you do not have to completely revert to the mind level of a five-year old in order to enjoy it.
Mannn....
I wish I was made outta liquid metal.
22. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Whenever I watch this movie, I'm always reminded that, for me, this is about as good as it gets (...sorry). Randall McMurphy is a mischievious criminal who first ends up becoming a leader of squirrelly rebellion & then, eventually, a friend to Billy & the rest the cracked eggs residing in the Cuckoo's Nest.
Jack's performance in this movie is not of a self-centered man of a salty background who becomes overly or angelically transformed, but as someone steeped in his own irresponsibility, with a hard to reach ability to care that is gradually bought up to the surface by the only type of people who could cause such a subtle & internal catalyst: a group of guys who are crazier than he is.

21. Kill Bill
Only two words can be used to describe this movie: Bad @ss.
Not only is this Quentin's homage to martial arts flix, but it also includes homage's to anime & those funky, grainy 70's Bruce Lee's wannabe's that made us laugh with their unsynchronized voice-overs, jagged camera movements & b-level musical sound effects. And yet, he was able to combine all this campy characteristics in a manner that was just plain...
well....
... bad-@ss.

BTW,
this entry is for both volumes I & II, since I am one of those who categorize both volumes as one movie.
(which it is, y'know.... )

20. Twelve Angry Men
12 Angry Men is such a good courtroom drama, that for me, it simply blows the majority of every other film in this genre out of the water (okay, technically this isn't really a "courtroom" drama because the entire film happens in the jury-room. But let's face it, the plot's purpose is one that leads into the most important part of the courtroom process, the verdict).
The combination of a tight script with a solid ensemble cast (oh, & lets not forget a big screen directoral debut for Sidney Lumet) make for a tense, compelling movie that even though it keeps 99% it's entire length within just one room, a viewer can't help but to be spellbound.

15. Unforgiven
"That's right. I'm Will Munny and I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill......"

He was once a real tough hombre who was good with a gun & never hesitated to use it.
But now, after so many years of trying to build a "normal life" away from that of a gunslinger, Will Munny comes to realize that when times get hard, old habits in old people die hard.
The manner in which the icon of the ol' western gunslinger is portrayed here,
as a man with a mysterious past which he would preferred forgotten, yet soon ultimately, comes to rely on for the survival of the redemptive life he has built, shows how this film could've also been called The Final Chapter Of The Man With No Name, But Now We've Given Him A Name, Punk.
14. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

An extra-terrestial becomes trapped on our planet & befriends an Earthling boy who shares it's love for Reese's Pieces. From there, these two beings "from different worlds" (one of the rare times that this phrase is meant literally), begin to share each other's experiences in a bond that can only result from attitude unconditional acceptance.
A moving picture which "teaches" that when it comes to a deep longing for love in the form of kindness & friendship, we humans are not alone.
And all we have to do to get it, even on a universally galactic level, is to just simply "be.... good".

This movie has gotten such a stigma attached to it, that I easily forget how much I enjoy watching it. After several years of this movie collecting dust on my video collection, I watched it with my 6 yr. old niece a couple of months ago, & I'll be honest with you: I don't know which one of us was left sitting there with more childlike awe & wonder on our faces.
Her, b'cuz as a child, she thought that E.T., was one amazing tale.
Or me, b'cuz as an adult, I thought that Elliot's mom was one amazing tail.
12. The Godfather Part ll

After lightning struck once with the first Godfather, it was almost impossibe to believe that it could strike twice in the same series, especially with the absence of Marlon Brando, James Caan & Abe Vigoda (oh c'mon! Y'know his presence added a certain dimension to the whole of the movie.....).
Yet strike it did.
And with even more intensity than could be expected.
Francis Ford Coppola continues the saga of la familia Corleone. And even though this one lacks the presence of the trio of fine actors I mentioned above, those empty spaces are superbly filled up by the strength Al Pacino's complete grasp of the lead character,
along with an interjecting prologue story starring a Sicilian speaking Robert Deniro.

I know that the rest of the planet says that this one is the superior film, but I myself like the first one better. Now don't get me wrong, G-2 is practically a perfect movie. However IMO, G-1 is just a bit more perfect. That being said, if only all sequels could match the quality ratio that this one did with its predecessor, then I bet that this planet would a lot better place. More than we could probably imagine. Like there probably wouldn't be any more wars or bad stuff in the world.
Like,
ever.
Yep. That's the power of a good sequel.

11. Pulp Fiction

No matter how many times I view it, no matter what time of the day it is,
I never get tired of watching this movie.
Because Pulp Fiction is like pie.
And any time is a good time for pie.