Movie about a teenage boy falling from a bridge

Tools    

Hello community,

probably about nine or ten years ago (though I can't tell exactly) I watched a movie that occurred to me recently. Any help with the title would be appreciated!

Here is what I can remember:

Language: American English
Year of production: probably between 1995 (though most probably not as old) and 2008

The movie's protagonist is a teenage boy with short dark hair and possibly blue eyes.
As he is riding his bicycle one day, he comes to a bridge where he stops to look into the water beneath. However, the railing on which he is leaning collapses and he falls into the water. As far as I can remember, what follows is a hallucination/dream he has during the short time that he loses consciousness underwater. However, this is only revealed toward the end of the movie when he is rescued/rescues himself (cannot quite remember).
In the hallucination, he meets a teenage girl (blonde, with curly hair and a fairly broad face) to whom he often talks. They have a shared interest in NASA's Apollo missions and there is a sequence in the movie where they mention all missions they can remember.
The only other thing I recall from the hallucination is a very memorable dream-like sequence in what was described as the Purgatory and which very much looked like a circus (where it was necessary to make a certain acrobatic leap at the end).

Thank you for reading and thank you for the help in advance!

The Dust Factory? (2004)
Thank you very much for your help, MovieFanatic! Now I know what it's called.