Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

have u watched remake of black christmas yet?
I have. I liked it in 2006 when it came out, but I've lost interest in it. Do you prefer it to the original?

I rewatched Dear Evan Hansen on blu ray. I loved it when I first saw it and I still love it. One of the best films of the year.

While the City Sleeps (1956)
In comparison, having watched it directly after the first, had more fluff than I initially expected. lol

But then that would most likely reflect the exceedingly dark nature and heavily shadowed venue of You Only Live Once. Here, Lang's shadows are the characters themselves in the brightly lit offices, bars, and apartments featured throughout.

With a format of ensemble casts featuring Rhonda Flemings, Dana Andrews, Vincent Price, character actor Thomas Mitchell, Ida Lupino, Howard Duff, George Sanders, and my first time seeing John Barrymore's son, aka Drew Barrymore's dad, John Drew Barrymore as a depraved serial killer.

This movie is a sex-drenched spectacle of inner-office politics using the pursuit of a recent killer as a competition between the heads of a newspaper syndicate concocted by the spoiled son (Price) of the recently dead owner of Kyne Enterprises. He pits Hamilton and Sander's characters to win the new Executive Director position or be fired. A third forced contestant is busy fooling around with Price's wife (Lupino). Mildred Kyne, the sister (Rhonda Fleming), happily plays predatorial games with everyone. Including Dana Andrews, an ex-detective, now TV reporter, and drunken rogue.

With so many balls in the air, Lang juggles them with ease. He gives everyone a chance to shine as the stakes get raised, and the murders escalate. Once more, Lang adds a few social commentaries into how things get done and how things get prioritized, and why.

Not a top echelon endeavor, but it is a d@mn excellent and entertaining film all the same.
Nice reviews of both films. While the City Sleeps is a great noir by Lang. One of the humorous stories about the filming: Do you remember the prominent scene where Ida Lupino, Dana Andrews, and Thomas Mitchell were sitting at the bar drinking? Well the actors HAD been drinking for awhile and were all about 3 sheets to the wind. Lang felt it lent reality to the scene so he left them at it...

I forgot the opening line.

By IMDB, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=33701652

21 Jump Street - (2012)

I have to admit this was pretty funny, and that Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum go together well as a comedy duo. There has been a cavalcade of old stuff from television such as this being reworked completely into a comedic format for feature films. Todd Philips film Starsky and Hutch in 2004 as an example. I'm still waiting for Knight Rider - in any format. Anyway, nice cameo from Johnny Depp (along with other ex-Jump Street actors) and great work all round.

7/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from the distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=50876639

22 Jump Street - (2014)

This surprised me and bucked the trend of very mediocre sequels I've been watching (sequels to The Hangover and Ted recently) - I'd even go as far as to say this was slightly funnier than the previous film, with Hill and Tatum really having their characters down. I especially enjoyed the end credits sequence with a series of increasingly desperate and improbable sequels to come. My day on Jump Street was laid back, and thankfully enjoyable.

7.5/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

always loved the original better then the remake. didnt like the remake, wasnt that scary 🤔
Yeah, it had a cartoonish feel to it. I felt like I was watch some warped backstory to an unheard of X-Man.

22 Jump Street has the best end credits,

I just watched Pig, it was excellent.

Continuing with the Bonds...

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

The first half (or a bit less, I think) is horrible. The boredom starts from the credits that are only trying to convince the viewer that this is really a Bond despite missing Connery. Most of the first hour is akin to a cheap Harlequin adaptation. Once Bond reaches the Alps, the film takes a drastic turn for the better, and the latter half is actually one of the better hours in this series. The ending is fine, too, but the series goes on as if nothing happened. The most uneven Bond this far.

--
Diamons Are Forever (1971)

A lackluster Americanization of the series. Has some of the worst effects I've ever seen. Connery feels as bored as the viewer.

--
Live and Let Die (1973)

If you want to Americanize a British agent series, you may as well go all in. Moore is a good fit for this blacksploitation meets Smokey and the bandit meets James Bond. It's campy, it's stupid, it's a product of a different time, and it's quite entertaining.

--
All the Colors of the Dark (1972)

A Spanis-Italian collaboration that's somewhere between Giallo and a satanic cult film. The copy I watched had terrible audio, so that may have affected my experience. There are good scenes (like the first cult meeting), but there's also too much pointless running and bad acting. Not something I'd recommend to people at random, but some enthusiasts could find this worth their time.

Final Score 2018 - starring dave bautista

When two terrorists kidnap ex-soldier Michael Knox's niece, he employs all of his skills to rescue her and possibly foil a plan of mass destruction as well.

Rate - 6/10

Combination of Die Hard and Sudden Impact. Though we have seen umpteen number of movies of this kind, fortunately this one does not drag.
Fights scenes are not intense as we thought to be except the one the protagonist fights with a female terrorist. The reason movie did not fare well at the box office perhaps due to wrong time of release or our younger audience prefer super hero action movies to old school action thrillers.

Bautista will be seen in the upcoming movie Knock at the Cabin

Trailer -

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Nice reviews of both films. While the City Sleeps is a great noir by Lang. One of the humorous stories about the filming: Do you remember the prominent scene where Ida Lupino, Dana Andrews, and Thomas Mitchell were sitting at the bar drinking? Well the actors HAD been drinking for awhile and were all about 3 sheets to the wind. Lang felt it lent reality to the scene so he left them at it...
I do remember that scene. I had also read that Andrews was dealing with alcoholism at the time and it was said he was drunk in several of the scenes that his character was and, as you said, Lang included them for the reason you expressed.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Blind - 8.5/10

Best movie I've seen in almost 2 years! I think I'm going to watch it again, because if you've seen it, you'll know what I'm talking about. Fantasy and reality is blurred, but I find it interesting that the author imagines what she does. Unfortunately, most fantasy is silly, or so overboard it's probably best to just imagine things yourself.

Blind - 8.5/10

Best movie I've seen in almost 2 years! I think I'm going to watch it again, because if you've seen it, you'll know what I'm talking about. Fantasy and reality is blurred, but I find it interesting that the author imagines what she does. Unfortunately, most fantasy is silly, or so overboard it's probably best to just imagine things yourself.

Fairly sure I saw this based on your recommendation. Don’t remember it much, but I did like it.

I do remember that scene. I had also read that Andrews was dealing with alcoholism at the time and it was said he was drunk in several of the scenes that his character was and, as you said, Lang included them for the reason you expressed.
Yeah, all 3 were alchies. Mitchell was a legendary drunk, and Ida Lupino hit the sauce so badly for so long that her looks took a dive. That's when she started directing. Pretty good director too.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Cronos (Guillermo del Toro, 1993)
6/10
The Keys of the Kingdom (John M. Stahl, 1944)
6.5/10
Junior (Julia Ducournau, 2011)
6/10
Star in the Night (Don Siegel, 1945)
7/10

Best underseen way to feel a little more human at Christmas.
Passion Play: Russell Westbrook (Gotham Chopra & Erik LeDrew, 2021)
6/10
The Works and Days (of Tayoko Shiojiri in the Shiotani Basin) (C.W. Winter & Anders Edström, 2020)
5/10 481 min
The Great Sinner (Robert Siodmak, 1949)
6/10
Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (Andy Fickman, 2005)
- 6.5/10

All camp, part homage to the original and part what a film would be like if it was what the original says marijuana makes one become.
David and the Elves (Michal Rogalski, 2021)
+ 6/10
Wingspan (Alistair Donald, 2001)
+ 6.5/10
Hard Paint (Filipe Matzembacher & Marcio Reolon, 2018)
5/10
Hell to Eternity (Phil Karlson, 1960)
+ 6/10

Acton-packed anti-war film about the Battle of Saipan with Jeffrey Hunter as the conflicted lead.
December 7th (Gregg Toland & John Ford, 1943)
+ 6/10
Christmas Eve (Edwin L. Marin, 1947)
5.5/10
They Were Expendable (John Ford, 1945)
6/10
The Bones (Joaquín Cociña & Cristóbal León, 2021)
7/10

Stop-motion wonder full of spectacular animation and social commentary on Chile's human rights history.
Cone of Silence AKA Trouble in the Sky (Charles Frend, 1960)
+ 6/10
That Girl from Paris (Leigh Jason, 1936)
5.5/10
Hollywood Hotel (Busby Berkeley, 1937)
+ 6/10
The First Wave (Matthew Heineman, 2021)
- 7/10

Early 2020 NYC Coronaviirus outbreak stresses hospital workers and families to the breaking point in this highly-personal-and-emotional doc.