New Forum Features

Tools    

I'll mess around over the next few days and see what I can come up with.
Well, here are the fruits of said messing around:

http://www.movieforums.com/community/header.html

I have my own thoughts, naturally, but would like to hear what everyone else thinks first.

Yoda, I am no longer given a 'confirm message' tab if I send one out to someone. Do these upgrades have something to do with this. I also can't log out anymore. I'm stuck logged in for life.

Yoda, I am no longer given a 'confirm message' tab if I send one out to someone. Do these upgrades have something to do with this. I also can't log out anymore. I'm stuck logged in for life.
Are you referring to the read receits for PMs? If so, I believe that's normal.

As for not being able to log out; when you click "Log Out" and confirm, do you get the "an error has occured message," followed by another link? Clicking that second link should force the issue, and log you out.

If not, you might have a corrupted cookie, in which case the base way to deal with it is to delete the cookie from your hard drive manually. I can walk you through this on AIM or something of the sort if it's something you're not familiar with.

With mine, it use to give me a receipt, period, but now, I have to check a box for one. That is the only difference I am getting.
As far as signing out, I use to have to click sign out, then click the one for the error, and that be all. Now when I do that, even though it says I am logged out, I can still see my PMs. Once I click that log out button again, I am logged out completely. Honestly, I don't believe we are still logged in. I don't know why it stills shows me how many PMs I have, but if I go to the main page, instead of clicking log out again, they disappear. It is as if I am logged out. I dunno. It's no worry for me. I run my window washer too often to care. That logs you out of everything on-line.

Even after clicking the second link, things like PMs will appear until you load another page. I believe the reason for that is simply that, when the second page loads and the header is first processed, you're still logged in. So, you should indeed be logged in, but the forum didn't "know" that when first determining what to display in the header. Assuming I'm understanding you correctly.

Are you referring to the read receits for PMs? If so, I believe that's normal.
I dunno. Before it would automaically ask me if I want a reciept. Now it doesnt. I have to give this a better look next time I pm someone.

As for not being able to log out; when you click "Log Out" and confirm, do you get the "an error has occured message," followed by another link? Clicking that second link should force the issue, and log you out.
Yeah, I used to do all that before and it worked fine. Now it just goes back to the main page and I'm still logged in. Maybe it is the cookie deal you are talking about then. I'll check it out and thanks for offering to help.

The People's Republic of Clogher

I have my own thoughts, naturally, but would like to hear what everyone else thinks first.
If the words were highlighted it'd be just dandy...then again it makes the Movie Forums gif look a bit dull. That'd need to go up to 60W too.

Get off my island
Aha, when did the Favourite movies feature return? I assume it actually works this time? That's pretty cool. One of my favourite features from ages and ages ago was a kind of chart thing where it showed what percentage of your posts were made in a particular board on the forums... at least I think it was a feature here...

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

Aha, when did the Favourite movies feature return? I assume it actually works this time? That's pretty cool. One of my favourite features from ages and ages ago was a kind of chart thing where it showed what percentage of your posts were made in a particular board on the forums... at least I think it was a feature here...
Hey, Mr M, what's new? Great to see you around again.

The Favorite Movies (sans "u," you crazy Brits!) featured returned about a month and a half ago, I believe. And in my defense, the old one DID work, but then got buggy, and I was somewhat stumped at the time as to why. This one works swimmingly, and does more, to boot. Anyway, glad you dig it.

Regarding the other thing: you're not imagining it. It was called "User Stats," and it had an absolutely ridiculous breakdown of where each user had posted, and other such trivial things. I've thought about possibly rewriting that, but I think the old one was insanely inefficient, so I'd probably only do it if I could find a way to do so without, well, creating a big, slow-loading file, what with all the querying and/or data parsing/sorting that would be involved. I might end up writing a slimmer, stripped-down version with a handful of the old page's capabilities.

I wish we could do our comments, like our PMs. Where we delete the ones we don't want, and keep the others. Instead of only being able to see the last 10.

I wish we could do our comments, like our PMs. Where we delete the ones we don't want, and keep the others. Instead of only being able to see the last 10.
Me too.

Is that possible yoda?

Me too.

Is that possible yoda?
Possible, yes, but it would be a fair bit of work. It'd be very involved to make it just like the PM system, but adding the ability to just delete the last 10, or perhaps just scroll through them, isn't out of the question. I'm a bit preoccupied at the moment but will see if I can add one of those two things.

Better...

OT: There seems to be some problem with the signatures, sometimes they show sometimes they don't?

Signatures are set to only show up on the user's first post on each page. The idea is that it's not really necessary to have them again just a few clicks down, and with some of the larger signatures, the reduction in load time and clutter can be well worth the relatively small tradeoff on the other end.

It's just text, how much can it be cluttering up things? Oh and Edit: Apparently that's not exactly true? Now I see them on each post on this page...
Yeah, they come and go all the time. I even edited one of my post, sometime back, making sure that the signature box was marked, and after I edited, it was there, then gone again, then it came back, so I simply posted something sarcastic in the "why did you edit" box. I thought my computer was flipping out again.

See, there it is.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
If the words were highlighted it'd be just dandy...then again it makes the Movie Forums gif look a bit dull. That'd need to go up to 60W too.
He took my answer.
I like the 'more color' version.

It's just text, how much can it be cluttering up things?
Seeing as how we allow large, colored text in signatures, it can clutter them up a bit more than you might think. Several regulars have signatures that are 5 or 6 lines long, which makes them longer than a fair number of their posts.

Oh and Edit: Apparently that's not exactly true? Now I see them on each post on this page...:-/
Odd. Works fine for me. I'll try to figure out what's wrong.