The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

So that life aquatic with bill Murray

Boo...
There we go. You got half of it.

The "peripheral" connection to water of the second one is that I think there's a whale involved...? in the circus? I don't know, cause I haven't seen it and didn't wanna dig up too much.

I got one right.

Truth is I haven't finished Werckmeister. I found it to be so blatantly inferior to Satantango that I got bored at the time. Haven't seen Life Aquatic either, but I guess I'll check it out today and force myself to finish Werckmeister if possible.

The whale thing might've been a bit strong on the meta.

It's been a long time since I watched Life Aquatic, but I recall not liking it. Given my history with Anderson's other movies, I don't think a rewatch would improve anything.

I've never had any desire to watch Werckmeister.

Anyway, speaking of me "crushing it", here comes ROOKIE MISTAKE #1

The entry that I will post now as #98 is actually #99. The thing is that both were tied in points, but I missed that one was in more ballots than the other, which would've put it above the other.

Anyway, even though it really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, I apologize for any inconvenience. I already double-checked and triple-checked all the ties, all of which are in the backend 50, so I expect no more slip-ups.

In the meantime, both entries will appear in their "wrong" position for now while we make some fixes backstage.
First the pandemic and now this?!

Technically, I haven't seen either.

I remember I started watching Life Aquatic years ago on cable, and was enjoying it, but had to stop watching for some reason. Maybe I had to leave somewhere or whatever, but I never got back into it. Go figure.

I haven't seen Werckmeister but everything I've heard/read about it is good stuff.

I'm afraid Wes Anderson lost me somewhere around The Royal Tenenbaums. Everything he does just feels a bit too precious. But that seems to be a me problem more than anything else.

I haven't seen Werckmeister Harmonies but it's on my list!

I'm afraid Wes Anderson lost me somewhere around The Royal Tenenbaums. Everything he does just feels a bit too precious. But that seems to be a me problem more than anything else.

I haven't seen Werckmeister Harmonies but it's on my list!
Other than Fantastic Mr. Fox, I also haven't seen anything from Anderson post-Royal Tenenbaums. I don't feel particularly strong about him, but I just don't feel drawn to his films in general.

Other than Fantastic Mr. Fox, I also haven't seen anything from Anderson post-Royal Tenenbaums. I don't feel particularly strong about him, but I just don't feel drawn to his films in general.
Fantastic Mr. Fox particularly bugged me because it felt like a betrayal of Dahl's novel, shaving away the darker edges and replacing them with Anderson's own self-conscious quirkiness. A lot of people like that, clearly, but it's not for me. I've seen Life Aquatic and Moonrise Kingdom also, and was less bothered by them but not really enthused either.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou is not in my top Anderson films but it's OK. Werckmeister Harmonies is certainly Tarr's best and most-poetic film but it didn't quite make my list.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Life Aquatic!?!? Oy. This is going to be a strange list I've a feeling.

Haven't seen Werckmeister. I thought it would have been in the 60-70 range though based how much it's talked about here.

A 'double doughnut day' for me as I've seen neither. I have generally enjoyed what I've seen from Wes Anderson but for some reason The Life Aquatic has never appealed much to me. Not seen any Bela Tarr at all as yet, Werckmeister would most likely be the starting point for me if I do get round to him though.

Seen: 1/4 (Own: 1/4)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.0):
96. Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy (2004)
95. Yi Yi (2000)

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I've been meaning to do a full Wes Anderson rewatch in order to confirm my feelings about all of his films (a good chunk of which I've only seen once), but if I had to rank them right now Life Aquatic would be near the top. Meanwhile, I have yet to see a single Tarr film but from what I understand Werckmeister is a good place to start.

A system of cells interlinked
A Life Aquatic didn't make my list, but another Anderson film did. Really good flick, though. I've not seen the other one...

It's been a long time since I watched Life Aquatic, but I recall not liking it. Given my history with Anderson's other movies, I don't think a rewatch would improve anything.
Funny, I came in to post this very thought.

I had Werckmeister Harmonies high on my list at #4. I think it's a good starting point if you want to check out Bela Tarr.

Life Aquatic seems to be one of Wes Anderson's most loved films but when I first watched it I was kind of annoyed with it. I think if I were to rewatch any of his films this might be it.

4. Werckmeister Harmonies (2000)
25. Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner (2001)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Critics

Some info about #98 (or 99?), The Life Aquatic of Steve Zissou...

It currently has a 56% Rotten Tomatometer score among critics, BUT an 82% Fresh Tomatometer score among the audience.

Meanwhile, the film has a 7.3/10 score on IMDb (with 189,581 votes).

Anyway, Roger Ebert gave it ★★˝ and said:
"My rational mind informs me that this movie doesn't work. Yet I hear a subversive whisper: Since it does so many other things, does it have to work, too? Can't it just exist? 'Terminal whimsy', I called it on the TV show. Yes, but isn't that better than half-hearted whimsy, or no whimsy at all? Wes Anderson's The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou is the damnedest film. I can't recommend it, but I would not for one second discourage you from seeing it."
While Peter Bradshaw, of the Guardian, gave it ★★★ out of 5 and said:
"This is one of the most thoroughly and elaborately designed movies I have ever seen - even more so than Anderson's last film... If only it were a bit funnier. It is such a brilliant idea, and everything looks so great, especially the way the film is constructed on Coustea-esque lines, with the calm deliberation of a nature documentary from a more innocent age."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @Gideon58 said:
"This film is deliciously unpredictable with surprises throughout and Anderson has spared no expense in bringing this complex tale to the screen. The film features some beautiful cinematography, both underwater and above the surface, first rate art direction and set direction (the Belafonte is awesome), and terrific film and sound editing. But above all, this is a triumph for the director, co-screenwriter Noah Baumbach, and its one-of-a-kind star who confirms here he is a genuine movie star."
While @kkl10 said:
"Sweetly awkward, silly fun, bittersweet; potentially pointless and dull-witted for insane minds. This is one of his most eccentric and colorful works. There's no way to dislike The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou for those who enjoy the cinema of Wes Anderson. Although all his movies follow the same basic formula, each one leaves me with a unique impression. I enjoyed this movie as much as any other work from Wes, recommended!"