The Matrix: Resurrections

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Agreed, but that's also what I'm kind of excited/happy about. The odds that it won't be great are high, but the odds are also quite high that it'll have at least a few really cool moments and generally be worth watching. It's rare to have that kind of "floor" for a film and it can be kinda nice to know you're going to be wowed going in.

Amusingly, this whole sentiment (the one I just expressed) is the kind of thing I usually like to rail against at certain levels of quality (the whole "moderately entertaining but never transcendent" kind of entertainment), but I think there's some place for it, now and then.
Glad you pointed that out, as I was about to reply to this saying the same!

Welcome to the human race...
There are exceptions to every rule, and 2049 is most certainly that. 2049 respects and enhances the original material and characters, with Villeneuve treating the material with obviously respect and care. I am not alone in thinking this.
Eh, as much as I do like 2049, the extent to which it respects and/or enhances the original material is debatable (especially considering how it dilutes the original's murky morality in favour of a comparatively digestible hero's journey). This is not to argue that the Matrix sequels were overall better films, but that their inferiority was grounded in a more thematically intriguing rejection of the original's admittedly simplistic chosen-one narrative (whereas 2049 ultimately suffers for simplifying the original).

You ready? You look ready.
What's a Matrix thread without a MSN article link? Now that's what I think of when I think of the Matrix...the MSN homepage...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainm...cid=entnewsntp
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Not a bad read!
Indeed. Reminds me of that one quote I always use IRL: "The problem is choice."

And yes, no one ever gets that reference

But back to choice: it is something that is pretty integral to this franchise and yet they never do a proper analysis of why choice is a problem. It's just always viewed through the lens of that simple deterministic/materialism crap. It's evident in a proper watching of Reloaded/Revolutions that the problem of choice is only a problem for the machines. Humanity, whilst not too far off from machines in how their choices are made, has an innate element of freedom that is malleable but not determined.

I'd love to do a deeper analysis of this line of thought, but it's definitely one of those things that is better left to a medium like audio or video.

Indeed. Reminds me of that one quote I always use IRL: "The problem is choice."

And yes, no one ever gets that reference

But back to choice: it is something that is pretty integral to this franchise and yet they never do a proper analysis of why choice is a problem. It's just always viewed through the lens of that simple deterministic/materialism crap. It's evident in a proper watching of Reloaded/Revolutions that the problem of choice is only a problem for the machines. Humanity, whilst not too far off from machines in how their choices are made, has an innate element of freedom that is malleable but not determined.

I'd love to do a deeper analysis of this line of thought, but it's definitely one of those things that is better left to a medium like audio or video.
This article takes the stance that choice is crucial to the situation, but as you said, that is not properly expanded on or explored in the films. It gets the same treatment as most of the alleged deeper aspects of the films: An idea gets mentioned, and we are told that it is something deep, but the idea never gets fully explored or fleshed out.

My take is that the director wanted a slow burn that would allow for the existential dread to sort of seep into the viewer. When I watch the film now, the only scene that sort of drags for me is K's visit to the orphanage when he finds the horse. Otherwise, it moves along just fine.
I dunno; I felt the scene where K just stands around and watches the hologram of Frank Sinatra should've been cut:

Must say I think the trailer, the whole vibe of it looks dreadful, even the music and Keanu Reeves. Not fussed about seeing this in the least but I’m sure I will at some point just for the heck of it.

The Wachowskis said they would never make a fourth film. When filming was halted because of covid, Lana Wachowski toyed with shelving it. Only continued because the cast insisted.

Seems like a half assed venture to me from a half assed person.

Just finished it.

I had to pause it and walk away a couple times. So glad I didn’t go see it in theaters.
I came in here specifically to see your reaction.

Hate to say I told you so but....

I dunno; I felt the scene where K just stands around and watches the hologram of Frank Sinatra should've been cut:

But...Frank is in it...

It honestly looks like a lot of it was shot in a couple weekends. It just felt way too loose to try and go grandiose.

But I think it’s going to grow on me.

Watched the film with 5 friends last night. We cringe so hard... Oh yeah, we laugh so much too. Not because the movie is funny, but It was so damn bad we couldn't stop laughing.

Watched the film with 5 friends last night. We cringe so hard... Oh yeah, we laugh so much too. Not because the movie is funny, but It was so damn bad we couldn't stop laughing.
Yeah, I had quite a few moments just like that, so cringe. That Frenchman scene totally ruined that character, too. And his dialog was some of the cheesiest on the nose type **** I’ve ever heard. So bad

I will say, tho, I liked how Smith was handled this time around.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
First 15 minutes or so had me concerned. The middle went a long way to make sense of that and did VERY well with Mr. Anderson in his world for the next half hour or so. The cuts and references to the trilogy were good and necessary IMO, and were not what I expected based on trailer footage. That's a good thing.

Self awareness worked well in how it all blended into the current story. Reeves did an excellent job navigating the emotional tight rope Anderson had to walk during this portion of the movie (for what one can do within this franchise at least). After that, it more or less reverts to an abbreviated amalgam of Reloaded and Revolution, but maybe doing it more efficiently this time around. That said, it ended as a weaker movie than it could have been while still being somehow more convincing than the two previous installments combined. There was still fat to be trimmed but no ridiculous rave scenes.

Nearly all of the little quirks that caught my attention were explained in a reasonable manner (e.g., all the sunglasses, anyone?), The effects all evolved to a degree from previous installments and made since given the state of the word (and the Matrix). The new chase scene, while unnecessarily camp in setup, offers a weird, new tactic that could only fit Smith and was a pretty fun, fresh idea---if you can get into it.

In the end, I took away that the heart of the overarching story is the staying power of love, which has echoed pretty obviously as the original trilogy progressed. Whether that point lands well enough for you is a matter of how distracting some very distracting scenes are. The updates work, as do the self referencing bits. It just needed another draft edit or possibly 10-15 minutes shaved off to the cutting room floor in the end third to tighten things up as that, to me, is where lot of the mess is.

3 point......6 outa 5?
(3.6/5)

And I agree with Mc-Two C-lane that it should probably grow on you with a rewatch or two. There are some interesting details playing around it all.

Wow the movie is being hammered at imdb, mostly because of unoriginal script, and characters that are unrelatable , someone saying aswell: sorry but im back to watchinf 70s 80s 90s films to look for originality

First 15 minutes or so had me concerned. The middle went a long way to make sense of that and did VERY well with Mr. Anderson in his world for the next half hour or so. The cuts and references to the trilogy were good and necessary IMO, and were not what I expected based on trailer footage. That's a good thing.

Self awareness worked well in how it all blended into the current story. Reeves did an excellent job navigating the emotional tight rope Anderson had to walk during this portion of the movie (for what one can do within this franchise at least). After that, it more or less reverts to an abbreviated amalgam of Reloaded and Revolution, but maybe doing it more efficiently this time around. That said, it ended as a weaker movie than it could have been while still, was somehow more convincing than the two previous installments combined. There was still fat to be trimmed but no ridiculous rave scenes.

Nearly all of the little quirks that caught my attention were explained in a reasonable manner (e.g., all the sunglasses, anyone?), The effects all evolved to a degree from previous installments and made since given the state of the word (and the Matrix). The new chase scene, while unnecessarily camp in setup, offers a weird, new tactic that could only fit Smith and was a pretty fun, fresh idea---if you can get into it.

In the end, I took away that the heart of the overarching story is the staying power of love, which has echoed pretty obviously as the original trilogy progressed. Whether that point lands well enough for you is a matter of how distracting some very distracting scenes are. The updates work, as do the self referencing bits. It just needed another draft edit or possibly 10-15 minutes shaved off to the cutting room floor in the end third to tighten things up as that, to me, is where lot of the mess is.

3 point......6 outa 5?

And I agree with Mc-Two C-lane that it should probably grow on you with a rewatch or two. There are some interesting details playing around it all.
It has to be said, reloaded and revolutions are absolutely an insult to the first film? Enough said

RE: The original sequels. I was thinking this morning, where was the exact point **** went off a cliff for these films, and I think it was that cave rave, or maybe just before that, with the appearance of Zion itself.

I watched it again last night and it’s a lot better upon a second viewing. I will never not hate that White Rabbit montage tho. Just like the rave scene.

But the story fits great and extends canon. I liked the self-reflecting humor but felt it did a disservice at times.

I truly think Smith is the strongest and smartest part of this particular chapter. Solid writing around his character.

EDIT: starting a third watch now