Movie Forums Top 100 of the Aughts (the 00s) - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Ok, we're at 49 ballots, which mean we're a bit over half of what the record (99) is. So c'mon, people. Let's break that record! I want 100+ ballots

A pretty normal late rush would have us up in the 60s, which is pretty solid as far as these things go. But we'll see!

Ok, we're at 49 ballots, which mean we're a bit over half of what the record (99) is. So c'mon, people. Let's break that record! I want 100+ ballots
Oh, man, imagine how I felt wrangling those lists last minute. I specifically told the last handful of people "this is gonna be close, you could be the 100th, for real." And they were.

i think this is the first tournament i've contributed to in awhile. i only did a top 20 though.
We're glad to have you on board!

50 lists so far glad to see the final week push. Let's get another 50. Spam like you've never spammed before!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

50 lists so far glad to see the final week push. Let's get another 50. Spam like you've never spammed before!

I wish he could get a total of 100 list or more! But I doubt it as there's not as many active members as there were back when Holden got 99 list for the 1970s countdown. Still there's hope!

Speaking of Holden, is he still active? Haven't seen him around in a while.

EDIT: Just checked his activity and he is It's just that we haven't stumbled on the same threads, it seems.

(Psss! @Holden Pike, remember to vote )

My list is sendt. As one of the last films i have seen, Me and You and Everyone We Know was one i wanted to make room for. But there was not any other film i wanted to lose out. And i think i somehow forgot about Apocalypto. But it is a good list of 25 films.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
You can't make me read about it here.
Also, December 2 at what time? in what TIME ZONE!? I pride myself on procrastination and need these details to maintain my rep. That's assuming I even sub a list, as I'm brokenhearted that I cannot nom Dark City.

I have three that are solid maybes that I need to decide if others are more deserving. Either way, my list will be sure to disappoint.

That reminds me. For any late ballot dumpers that have an open spot, Pootie Tang a was 2001 flick! Just sayin'.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Speaking of Holden, is he still active? Haven't seen him around in a while.

EDIT: Just checked his activity and he is It's just that we haven't stumbled on the same threads, it seems.

(Psss! @Holden Pike, remember to vote )
I am, in fact, currently living. I thought I had already submitted my ballot so thanks for the reminder!

Done.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am, in fact, currently living. I thought I had already submitted my ballot so thanks for the reminder!

Done.
It worked! It worked! Thank you, sir

I'm having a dilemma concerning my list. There are movies I watched while I was like 10 years old which are important to me for nostalgic reasons. I know they aren't particularly good movies, but I like them more subjectively because of my relation to them as a child than ''better'' movies. I don't know if I include 3 or 4 of these or I go with ''qualitative'' movies only.

The trick is not minding
have my ballot almost ready. just need to settle on an order and it will be submitted in the next few days

I'm having a dilemma concerning my list. There are movies I watched while I was like 10 years old which are important to me for nostalgic reasons. I know they aren't particularly good movies, but I like them more subjectively because of my relation to them as a child than ''better'' movies. I don't know if I include 3 or 4 of these or I go with ''qualitative'' movies only.
This is what I wrote gbgoodies a couple of pages back...

I suppose this is a genuine concern by many when something like this comes up, and my advice would be to just make your list. It is *your* list, not the list that would get the "approval of the Legion of Film", but yours. So just put the things that you know you're going to feel comfortable with in the end.
Have fun with it!

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
the way i did it was if it's a movie i loved from my childhood that i *still* love as an adult, it's listworthy. there are some movies that haven't aged as well for me because they sincerely aren't very good movies and so i don't really love them as much (i grew up in the 90s, so mine are different faves than yours probably).

so yeah, put the childhood faves that are still your faves on your list. if everyone ignored them i think this would be a very boring tournament.

I've never understood (and hopefully never will) the idea of making your top film ballot anything else than your own personal favorites. Otherwise, we could just copy-paste our list from IMDb/BFI/etc.

I think PG's talking about something a bit different: films that maybe occupy a special place in your memory because you were very young when you saw them, or they remind you of something else, but which you recognize you probably wouldn't love otherwise.

If you see your first Pixar movie as a kid it's probably going to hit you a lot different than the 20th you see as an adult, or whatever, even if the later films are better made. Similarly, if you fall in love at 17 and break up and then see High Fidelity right after, that's probably gonna land pretty well relative to seeing it at 53 and happily married. Stuff like that.

Basically, it's the recognition that we like films for many reasons, some of which are idiosyncratic and arbitrary, and wondering how much to try to parse that out.