What do you think of Revenge (2017)?

→ in
Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I saw the movie and I admire a lot of the craft that went to it. It's well made with gorgeous cinematography, and the story is not bat at all.

However, I found the gore to be very overdone, and not sure if this is a good thing. I'm no prude when it comes to violent movies. I didn't mind the gore in a movie like say, The Thing for example per say. But this movie makes The Thing look tame in comparison and we see blood splat all over the walls in close up when people get shot. All of the gory shootings are done in close up with blood spewing in slow motion even.

Those close ups of blood spewing and squibs work in a movie like The Wild Bunch, cause back then audiences haven't seen that before, but to show it in slow motion close ups today, done with even more blood, just makes it feel like they are trying too hard perhaps.

Also the main character, while getting revenge on the villains, is dressed in her underwear and a top for almost the majority of the movie, and it feels like the filmmakers did this to sexualize the character more, when it was not necessary, or didn't really do anything for the story.... like they just wanted to show off her skin for a lot of it.

The main villain is naked for a portion of the cat and mouse games as well, so maybe they wanted to get in some male muscular skin in there as well.

But what do you think? The movie got a 93% on rottentomatoes, so maybe I am being a little hard on it, or perhaps I am seeing something that others were not seeing?

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
But why make an exploitation movie that exploits lots of gore and what not? Why not go beyond exploitation?

I had a good time
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.