History in Photos (warning: some disturbing content)

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I thought I'd make a thread that documented important, cool, significant or insignificant, interesting times in our history. Feel free to post something if you think it would fit.

Disneyland opening day 1955

Hitler's Bunker - 1945

Martin Luther King Jr. removes a burned cross from his front lawn

Construction of the Eiffel Tower - 1888

Johnny Cash sings in prison

Last known photo of Titanic - 1912

Tearing down the Berlin Wall - 1989

Second plane hits towers - 2001

Bush being informed of the attacks - 2001

Building the Manhattan Bridge

The day Sweden changed which side of the road you drive on - 1967

Suspect's Reviews

lol @ the last one.Didnt know they had driven on the other side-seems mad to change it.
Also i wonder what the people of paris thought of the eiffel tower

I've heard that Parisians initially thought the Eiffel Tower was hideous and ruined their cities skyline.
I heard that too. On QI there was a story about one of the top intellectuals in Paris at the time can't remember who it was nows favourite restaurant in Paris was the one inside the Eiffel Tower because it was the only place where he wouldn't have to see it haha.

haha,yea i can actually imagine that! its pretty massive and when it used to be a completely open space i can see people not liking it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Werner Bischof, An employee of the Tata Steel and Iron Company, Jamshedpur, India, 1851.

Brutal dude

Tbilisi circa 1910

Nilova Monastery in 1910

Japanese students in the 30's.

Joseph Goebbels in 1933. The legend has it, this was the very moment Goebbels found out the photographer is a Jew.

L'Exposition Internationale de 1937 à Paris

The last Jew in Vinnitsa

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The seal on Tutankhamen’s Tomb is seen here in 1922. It was untouched for 3,245 years.

Defiant until the very end, a German Communist being executed in Munich, 1919

The only female in history to strike out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. You go Jackie Mitchell! (1931)
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doctor-Doom-MCU.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	45438   Click image for larger version

Name:	dd0533d24eb74cf1c805a94809af6a46.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	45439  

Defiant until the very end, a German Communist being executed in Munich, 1919
Wasn't this photo said to be staged?

Gro Harlem Brundtland was the first female prime minister in Norway from 1981-1996
in 1986 she caused quite a sensation when 8 out of 18 cabinet members were women.

(Gro was also Breiviks main target during the utøya shooting)

1943 Col. Anthony Joseph Drexel Biddle was a hand-to-hand combat expert. He ordered trainee Marines to attempt to kill him with bayonets. No one ever succeeded as he disarmed them all.

1976 Bob Marley playing with a soccer ball

1913 Veterans of the Union and Confederate army shake hands at the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.

1937 Golden Gate bridge being constructed

I've heard that Parisians initially thought the Eiffel Tower was hideous and ruined their cities skyline.
True.

Ironically, (since it was featured in the first set of photos) many New Yorkers felt the same way about the WTC towers when they were erected - some felt their design was too static and rigid, and did not reflect the dynamic feel of the skyline. People got used to them and were sad to see them go (which is an understatement considering how they went).

^ Thats just scary Vicky.

Real samurai taken between 1860 and 1880.

A boxing match on board the USS Oregon in 1897.

Albert Einsteins report card.

A shell shocked reindeer looks on as World War II planes drop bombs on Russia in 1941.

Nagasaki, 20 minutes after the atomic bombing in 1945.

A Japanese plane is shot down during the Battle of Saipan in 1944.

The original Ronald McDonald -- played by Willard Scott! Damn now thats even scarier than Freddy!

This might just do nobody any good.
Marilyn Monroe performing for thousands of troops in Korea.

Supposedly she changed her choice of song because the original was "too provocative" and officials feared for a riot.

Fidel Castro at the Lincoln Memorial (1959)

This might just do nobody any good.
Check this one out:

King George V stands next to his cousin, Tsar Nicholas II, in Germany, 1913 -

A group of samurai in front of the Sphinx. Egypt, 1863.

The uniform worn by Archduke Franz Ferdinand during his assassination in 1914, the event that sparked World War I.

Close-up of Lincoln Head at Mount Rushmore under construction. South Dakota, 1937.

The airship Hindenburg under construction at Friedrichshafen, 1935.

A generation of scientists at the Solvay Conference, 1927.