@PETA

Tools    

How the heck does anyone have the nerves of steel to follow PETA on Twitter & other sites? I just now blocked them from my Twitter account. It’s not that they don’t do a good job, but the videos they produce are horrifying. If I worked for them, I would not be able to sleep at night for nightmares about the animals. Kudos to all who financially support them, but I like my animal rights information delivered in a less graphic way.

My stance on PETA is generally that they have some very good points, and we're averting our eyes as a culture to too much of it...but they bundle it with a lot of genuinely insane ideas (and questionable methods) that are actually setting their cause back significantly.

@Yoda, I agree. I’m a vegetarian & financial supporter of many animal rescue groups, etc., but I do think PETA are their own worst enemy. I stopped financially supporting them a long time ago. I wanted to reply to someone’s PETA tweet & had to scroll through a lot of the PETA tweets to find it. The videos were horrendous & now those images are in my mind forever.

My stance on PETA is generally that they have some very good points, and we're averting our eyes as a culture to too much of it...but they bundle it with a lot of genuinely insane ideas (and questionable methods) that are actually setting their cause back significantly.
PETA should run for president.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Ingrid Newkirk is completely and utterly insane.

Ingrid Newkirk is completely and utterly insane.
It’s wrong to dislike my fellow countrywoman & animal lover, but I do not care for her at all. She rather strikes me as a show pony, but maybe that’s what is needed.

Makes me sick that I saw all those images today. How anyone can hurt an animal is beyond me.

PETA is ridiculous. The saddest thing is I'm always seeing people I admire do ads for them. Eli Roth did one, for example. I love the dude but not sure what he was thinking.

It’s wrong to dislike my fellow countrywoman & animal lover, but I do not care for her at all. She rather strikes me as a show pony, but maybe that’s what is needed.

Makes me sick that I saw all those images today. How anyone can hurt an animal is beyond me.
She's a special one, tht's for sure. So are a lot of her 'disciples'. I'm sure she started off well but people get carried away with activism (not just animal welfare; I'm talking any kind of activism) that they lose sight.And then you have the type who simply thrive on causing as much trauma to others that they can to get their point across, especially little children who they think are a great resource to stop their parents using animal products. Can you imagine going to schools and handing out pamphlets containing the sort of images you saw this morning to kindergarten children? Blows my mind, quite frankly. Such respect for life, except human life.

There is so much on the net about the kind of people that post the kind of stuff you saw today, Stirchley. I know exactly what you're talking about. There are a heap of campaigns to try to stop the posting of graphic photos or videos but it's impossible to stop unfortunately. You just have to block the people who do it, but then it's too late. Even trying to find some articles for your thread I came across people saying people need to stop posting these kinds of photos and videos, and then would post them to prove their point. Hello!!!

I dont know what to suggest about what you saw today and how it impacted on you. Once you see it you cant unsee it. Just stay away from that feed but that's really not very helpful to minimise the impact it had on you; 100 more will just crop up. Most people in life are just completely tactless. And then you get the sociopathic type who feed off how much damage they can inflict.

Ingrid Newkirk is a 'media slut' - her words. She has completely lost sight of her own cause and is just obsessed with getting money out of celebrities for free publicity.

You actually can block people & companies, etc. on Twitter. It’s very easy. But I wanted to talk with someone about a certain issue that PETA was going bat**** about & I needed to get back in the PETA thread. Hence the trauma. Soon as I’m done talking to that person, it will be blocked. And it is blocked not only from my tweets, but I can never see PETA in anyone else’s tweets either. So it works well.

I financially support 6 rescue orgs. every month. Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah, e.g. These sanctuaries tend to dwell on the positive rather than the horror the animals have endured. Obviously if they had had a nice life they wouldn’t be in a rescue shelter. We don’t need to be clobbered over the head with it. Like I said, I used to financially support PETA, but I stopped. Their Twitter site is horrendous.

These sanctuaries tend to dwell on the positive rather than the horror the animals have endured.
Yes and that's my feelings on how they should go about it, not the rubbing your face in it approach. That just turns people away. Good on those groups and you for supporting that type of group

I was on a horror board years ago and one particular poster decided to start a thread called something like Special FX prosthetics for murder scenes in movies. They were photos of actual crime scenes, and really quite horrifying at that. When a bunch of us jumped on him and told him off for being so sneaky about it, not giving a warning blah blah blah he said we were alll a bunch of hypocrites for watching and enjoying extreme horror movies but had our heads in the sand about what happens in the real world. What an arse hat! It's not for him to decide what strangers on the net need to see and what they have seen in the real world or not. And that's the approach a lot of these clowns who post graphic images of animal cruelty are on about. They condescend to strangers on the net and take it upon themselves to decide to 'enlighten' and 'educate'. It's not educating if those people walk away and go and support some other organisation who has a degree of sensitivity and tact about their approach. It can cause psychological trauma for some people, and who knows - you might have had a little niece or nephew on your knee while scrolling through happy photos of rehabilitated animals on your feed then suddenly BOOM, right in your faces. And how about those videos that automatically play. OMG!

Yes, you’re right about those videos that automatically play. Something new, maybe? Watched a lot of them at Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary website today, which I also support. Adorable, but at PETA not so much.

I love the type who tell you how bad a photo or video is and how much it upset them to the point of shaking and crying, then post it to ask if anyone else feels the same way. Seriously???

The automatically running videos have been going for a while. FB needs to stop those - Arse clowns could be posting anything and as I said, they get their jollies out of how much it wrecks someone's day.

How the heck does anyone have the nerves of steel to follow PETA on Twitter & other sites? I just now blocked them from my Twitter account. It’s not that they don’t do a good job,
They don't.

Originally Posted by Stirchley
Kudos to all who financially support them,
Please don't financially support PETA.

@Yoda, I agree. I’m a vegetarian

How anyone can hurt an animal is beyond me.

I wanted to reply to someone’s PETA tweet & had to scroll through a lot of the PETA tweets to find it. The videos were horrendous & now those images are in my mind forever.
Any of those images involve hens or dairy cows perchance?

I'm not going to get deep into my views of animals. (FYI - I don't think animals are stupid. I'll eat a hamburger, rack of lamb, and I enjoy deer and elk hunting.) However, I don't believe in cruelty to animals. I have a beautiful 7 yr old Golden Retriever that my family adores and loves. We take him out to parks and out for walks all the time. The kids use him as a living fluffy pillow, and he enjoys it. It will be sad when we lose him, as he IS a member of the family. However, he is a dog and a pet. Nobody in our family treats him with disrespect, or in any harmful way. If he were being attacked, I would defend him. However, I don't treat him as a human.

I grew up on a farm, and I know about cattle slaughtering for food. I've seen my fair share of it. I know of many farms that have methods that are not as grotesque as shown in these PETA videos. And whenever PETA wants to show some of the most vile videos of cattle slaughtering, they mostly show footage from Jewish run slaughterhouses. Their religion REQUIRES a specific way of preparation that isn't very "quick and painless" as some would like or believe.

I feel badly run puppy mills should be closed down and the owners prosecuted. I also feel that people who abuse pets should be tossed in a jail. I also feel that people should arbitrarily take in pets when they have no ability to care for them. I do feel that animal cruelty awareness is important.

With all this said, I feel PETA is a detracting organization of their cause, and is run by a fanatic that is diluted into extremist behavior. Just because I don't approve of their methods or stance, doesn't mean I'm going to run out an punch some random animal in the face, or beat one senseless. However, it's also not going to prevent me from enjoying a hamburger, or bringing home several months of elk meat, either. If you want to be Vegan or Vegetarian, I don't care. When you force places to be Vegan or Vegetarian, or make them to be required to have a Vegan alternative, that's when I take issue. It doesn't upset me or make me want to force Vegan restaurants to have a meat option when one isn't provided. I just don't dine there. And if a specialty restaurant wants to add Vegetarian or meat items to their menu to draw in more customers.....Kudos to you.

My views may not be your views, and your views may not be my views, but if you force your view on me....I'll will be happy to shove my fist up your ass, pull out your head and beat it with the stick I also found up there.

LMAO. You seem very violent. I think I like you.

Meh, I'm usually not the violent type, but if I have to...I am more than happy to serve someone's ass to them after a heavy tenderizing when warranted.

I'll eat a hamburger, rack of lamb, and I enjoy deer and elk hunting.) However, I don't believe in cruelty to animals.

but if you force your view on me...
Weird how the people forcing their views on others always seem so quick to accuse others of "forcing their views on me".

Weird how the people forcing their views on others always seem so quick to accuse others of "forcing their views on me".
I'm not understanding your point. I've merely stated my position, and haven't tried to convert someone to one side or another. So your quoted reply is confusing. Please explain.

When you force places to be Vegan or Vegetarian, or make them to be required to have a Vegan alternative, that's when I take issue.
When has this ever happened?

Seriously, I've never once heard of any place being forced into it.

When has this ever happened?

Seriously, I've never once heard of any place being forced into it.
I can be pretty selective hearing, too. But I know that there are a lot of things that happen that I don't hear of. I admit the world doesn't revolve around myself. But it's fun to watch the internet trolls focus their attention on one insignificant person...wouldn't you say?

If you're trying to make me feel bad about hunting, eating meat, or having a pet...it won't happen. I'm not interested in an argument; I'm just stating my feelings and am not telling others how they should feel about it. If you're an adult, you should be allowed to make up your own mind, state your own position, and not impose or be forced to changing ones mind. I don't agree with a lot of things PETA does, and I don't have to.

Buuut, if you want something specific:

While no legal suit was ever brought up, the Las Vegas Area 51's baseball stadium had been picketed in 2003 for not offering a vegan alternative to their concessions. They didn't have to offer anything, but felt they should have the option anyway and started offering items that were more vegan friendly. I'm glad they made the option, because I would recommend their Vegan Taco Salad, although quite overpriced. I guess that's something to be expected in a captivated audience.