0%
0 votes
Jordan Peele (GET OUT)
12.00%
3 votes
Greta Gerwig (LADY BIRD)
20.00%
5 votes
Paul Thomas Anderson (THE PHANTOM THREAD)
60.00%
15 votes
Guillermo del Toro (THE SHAPE OF WATER)
25 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The nominees for Best Director are...

Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
Jordan Peele, Get Out
Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread
Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The nominees for Best Director are...

Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
Jordan Peele, Get Out
Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
Paul Thomas Anderson, The Phantom Thread
Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water

Very pleased to see Jordan Peele included. but I would have gotten Martin McDonaugh in there somewhere for Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

Can't be anyone but PTA for me as much as I love Dunkirk. Strong category yet again, Shape Of Water looks amazing. I would say the strength of Lady Bird is the writing but cool to see Gerwig get a nom. Peele too but Get Out is second tier of the year for me.

I'm really excited for Jordan Peele, and would love for him to win this. True underdog. But he's not going to. Del Toro's got this.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Two of my fave modern directors - PTA and del Toro - are up, so I don't really have a pick. And honestly would be okay with Gerwig getting it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Alright....let's get into it.

Greta Gerwig. Deserved nomination or because she's a woman? Was there anything particularly spectacular about the directing of Lady Bird? With all these complaints about men dominating the nominations and Portman's quip at the Globes, I feel like this is a justified question. This is from someone who hasn't seen the film.

Does Mcdonough's exclusion here hurt Billboards chances for Best Picture? Or will it be another split year?

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
Alright....let's get into it.

Greta Gerwig. Deserved nomination or because she's a woman? Was there anything particularly spectacular about the directing of Lady Bird? With all these complaints about men dominating the nominations and Portman's quip at the Globes, I feel like this is a justified question. This is from someone who hasn't seen the film.

Does Mcdonough's exclusion here hurt Billboards chances for Best Picture? Or will it be another split year?
It's a good question as to what exactly qualifies as good direction, especially when it comes to less "obvious" methods of direction than the showy spectacle that tends to get rewarded these days. Low-key talky kind of films directed by men have been nominated before, after all.

There was plenty great about the directing of Lady Bird. The most notable to me being how she infused her own personality into the film, stylistically, comedically, emotionally, etc.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've finally seen all five. Here's how I rank them:

1. Gerwig
2. PTA
3. Del Toro
4. Peele
5. Nolan

Not a bad five, I can't argue against any of the top 4 and Nolan is a great director for me too, although I wasn't the biggest Dunkirk guy.

The legion of Christopher Nolan fanboys can officially stop whining that he has never been Oscar nominated for directing (he had two previous noms for his screenplays) and focus more crucially that he is not an Oscar winner. His first director nomination comes not for Memento, The Dark Knight, Inception, or Interstellar, but for his WWII piece Dunkirk. No, he won't win, but if he ever gets the right combo of box office and inventiveness and visuals and timing, he'll have better chances of actually winning. Dunkirk looks great, especially if you saw it in 70mm IMAX. It does have general similarities with other classic wartime battle tales, giving an overview of some of the mammoth undertaking of blood and treasure and equipment in the fateful few days where the British ground forces were pushed back to the sea in France by the advancing Nazi horde, with no way to transfer the men back across the English Channel, sitting ducks for the strafing Luftwaffe above and the lurking U-Boats below.

Not too surprisingly Nolan favors an approach more similar to Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line with sparse dialogue and vignettes following a handful of characters as they try to survive in the chaos and carnage, with survival the only real plot. What is slightly surprising is how short its running time is. Nolan's films had been getting longer and longer, with The Dark Knight and Inception clocking in at about two and a half hours and Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar two hours and forty-five minutes. World War II battle epics like The Thin Red Line (1998), Saving Private Ryan (1998), A Bridge Too Far (1977), and The Longest Day (1962) are all close to three hours long. So when you heard Nolan is making a wartime piece it would have been natural to expect we may get a four or five hour epic. Instead....it isn’t even two hours long. Fourteen minutes short of two hours!

His relative filmmaking restraint I think is welcome, giving plenty of time for his impressionistic take on the horrors and triumphs of battle, but not overdoing it and lingering with three hours of the same note over and over again. It is a mature step to focus his vision rather than extend it just for the sake of extending it, and he is rewarded with his first and probably overdue Oscar nomination.

Paul Thomas Anderson fans are waiting for his first win, but his second nomination here for Phantom Thread will not be the project that does it. PTA has six Oscar noms: two for directing (There Will Be Blood & Phantom Thread) and four for writing (Boogie Nights, Magnolia, There Will Be Blood, Inherent Vice), plus There Will Be Blood and Phantom Thread both got Best Picture nods, too. His artistry is certainly appreciated by The Academy, even if he hasn't won a statue yet.

As far as who is winning Best Director Oscar these days, it seems to be those filmmakers whose fingerprints and style you can very much see and identify on the screen, like Ang Lee, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Alfonso Cuarón, and Damien Chazelle, rather than those who make solid movies with no real visual signature. Which definitely bodes well for Anderson, who has developed a style that is surely identifiable, whether you are a fan or not. However, his pretty but intentionally emotionally cold tale this time is not going to be the one that makes him a winner. He may turn out to be like one of his biggest idols, Robert Altman, who was honored with many nominations over his brilliant career but never won. And Paul Thomas Anderson is probably just fine with that.

Jordan Peele was known to be bright and talented from the successes in front of and behind the camera on Comedy Central's "Key & Peele". His and Keegan-Michael Key's sketch show was a hit and started penetrating the pop culture zeitgeist for a few years. Their first film together, Keanu (21016), was pretty damn funny and showcased the same brand of humor as their shorter form TV pieces. Working apart from each other they had become in demand actors in projects they didn't originate, especially Keegan-Michael who seems to be absolutely everywhere. So when the first trailers and information about Peele's directorial debut Get Out began to surface, it was natural to assume it was some sort of Horror movie spoof. Instead what was unleashed was a thriller with Sci-Fi and Horror elements that also has some laughs and social commentary. Despite having all of those aspects mixed together it works like gangbusters. Satirical, tense, scary, and triumphant.

Movies released earlier in the calendar year have a tougher time getting awards consideration, but Get Out became one of those rare cases like The Silence of the Lambs twenty-six years ago that made it to the glory of Oscar nominations: Best Original Screenplay, Best Actor, Best Director, and Best Picture. Silence of the Lambs got seven nominations, and won six of them, including Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Director, and Best Picture. The odds of Get Out winning three or four of its awards are slim, the best shot probably being Peele's script, for which he already won the WGA Award.

Jordan is only the fifth Black man to be nominated as Best Director. The others are the Americans John Singleton (Boyz in the Hood), Lee Daniels (Precious), and Barry Jenkins (last year's Best Picture winner Moonlight), and the Brit Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave). It would be a pretty big upset for Peele to win as Best Director, but after the incredible success Get Out has had it's difficult to completely rule it out, either.

If a director with a strong, identifiable visual style and recurrent themes that seem to exist in cinematic universes all their own is what is floating the votership's collective boat these days, there are few filmmakers that fit that description more than Guillermo del Toro. He gained a feverish following with the singularly creepy thrillers Cronos and The Devil's Backbone and for punctuating the super hero genre with some of that sensibility with Blade 2 and Hellboy. But it was Pan's Labyrinth, a weird and dark fantasy set in Franco's Spain, that got him real attention, including by the Oscars, who gave the movie six nominations including del Toro's Original Screenplay and as Best Foreign Language Feature. It won three (Best Cinematography, Makeup, and Art Direction) and the Mexican auteur had his big coming out party. His output since then was nestled firmly in genre with the Hellboy sequel, Pacific Rim, and Crimson Peak. Nothing there the Oscars are going to jump at.

But with The Shape of Water he has another combination of genre elements and his affectionate predilection for grotesque monsters wrapped in a rather old fashioned romantic fantasy for grownups that hit the right notes. On paper the tale of a Red Scare era mute outsider falling in love with a monster, and not just romantic love but sexual attraction, would be a tough sell. But the tone of this fairy tale for adults plus the performances, especially of Sally Hawkins, made it resonate.

Del Toro has already won the Directors Guild of America Award. Out of all the professional guilds in town that give out yearly prizes, the DGA is definitely the most reliable as a predictor of what will win the corresponding Oscar. As I detail every awards season, since 1950 there have only been seven deviations between the DGA and Oscar for Best Director...though it has happened three times in this 21st Century: 2001 when Ang Lee won the DGA for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Steven Soderbergh won the Oscar for Traffic, in 2004 when Rob Marshall won the DGA for Chicago but Roman Polanski got the Oscar for The Pianist, and five years ago when Ben Affleck won the DGA for Argo while Ang Lee the Academy Award again for The Life of Pi. In three of those only seven deviations between the two awards, the DGA winner was not even nominated for the Oscar: in 1986 when Spielberg won the DGA for The Color Purple (Sydney Pollack won the Oscar for Out of Africa), in 1996 when Ron Howard won the DGA for Apollo 13 (Mel Gibson the Oscar for Braveheart), and Affleck for Argo. Which means when the DGA winner has been nominated for the Oscar, in nearly sixty years the two awards have not matched only four times.

Four.

With Del Toro’s DGA win and four of the five nominees being the same (Paul Thomas Anderson takes the place of Three Billboard’s Martin McDonagh from the DGA roster), if you bet against Guillermo winning Best Director at the Academy Awards you are going for a longshot. If he does win it will be the fifth non-English-speaking-born winner in recent years, joining Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist), Ang Lee (Life of Pi and Brokeback Mountain), Alfonso Cuarón (Gravity), and Alejandro G. Iñárritu (Birdman and The Revenant). Tom Hooper (The King’s Speech) is British, leaving Ben Affleck (Argo) and Damien Chazelle (La La Land) as the only American to have won in the past seven years. For all the discussion in recent years of lack of diversity at the Oscars, the Best Director field has been mixing it up nicely (and Katherine Bigelow won the year before Hooper).

If you want to put a few bucks on an upset here, Greta Gerwig may be where you want to move a few of your chips. Lady Bird was a critical darling to say the least, remaining at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes for weeks after its release. It has dropped all the way down to 99% now, 237 positive versus only 2 negative professional reviews. Not surprisingly the Academy followed suit with its praise. “Only” five nominations, but they are all biggies: Best Original Screenplay, Best Supporting Actress, Best Actress, Best Director, and Best Picture. Like Jordan Peele, this is Gerwig’s directorial debut. Her semi-autobiographical coming-of-age story is a charmer, with terrific performances and a tone and sensibility that is her own inside a familiar framework.

Besides just the quality of the film itself and the affection it generates from fans, even Academy voters, at the end of a turbulent year in Hollywood from Harvey Weinstein on down the long list, there is a very palpable move toward elevating female voices and points of view in counterpoint to the too long culture of abuse and sexism that has come to light. Is that enough to give Greta and upset win as Best Director or Lady Bird for Best Picture? Jordan Peele is the fifth Black director to get a nomination, and Gerwig is the fifth woman nominated. The others were Lina Wertmüller for Swept Away… (1977), Jane Campion for The Piano (1994), Sofia Coppola for Lost in Translation (2004), and Kathryn Bigelow who won for The Hurt Locker (2009). Bigelow’s win was historic, but Gerwig winning partially on the tide of #metoo would be historic in its own way.

Not to say that if Gerwig wins it will be just because she is a woman. There is no better reviewed movie this year, and her being named Best Director for her personal film would be a counterpoint to Del Toro’s movie which is personal in its signature and themes but very much a fantasy, obviously. Del Toro did win the DGA Award and he is definitely the favorite, but it would not be a shock to see Greta Gerwig go to the stage instead.

As for Gerwig or Peele winning for their directorial debuts, they are the seventeenth and eighteenth directors to be nominated for their first features, joining names like Orson Welles, Sidney Lumet, Mike Nichols, and Warren Beatty. Six first timers have gone on and won Best Director: Delbert Mann for Marty (1955), Jerome Robbins for co-directing West Side Story (1961), Robert Redford for Ordinary People (1980), James L. Brooks for Terms of Endearment (1983), Kevin Costner for Dances with Wolves (1990), and Sam Mendes for American Beauty (1999). A tough list to crack, but not impossible, and it has been nearly twenty years since it has happened, so it could be overdue.

The only one that really rises to an outright snub in this category is Martin McDonagh for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. He got a nomination from the DGA, but that spot on the Oscar ballot was taken by P.T. Anderson. And that automatically lowers Three Billboards odds of winning Best Picture, since it is pretty uncommon for a movie to win the top award with its director not even being nominated. It happens, but not often (though it did recently when Argo won and Ben Affleck was unnominated). A popular film, a frontrunner in some circles, been cleaning up this whole season, but apparently no room for McDonagh.

Among the other Best Picture nominees, obviously Steven Spielberg is a living legend and Academy darling with seven nominations here (Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Schindler’s List, Saving Private Ryan, Munich, and Lincoln) and the two wins (Schindler and Ryan) is always a threat, but The Post kinda underperformed, awards-wise, outside of Meryl Streep. The Italian filmmaker Luca Guadagnino had his film Call M By Your Name compared favorably to the works of French legend Éric Rohmer like Claire’s Knee. But as well regarded as Rohmer is as a master, he never got a Best Director nomination, either (his only Oscar nod coming for his My Night at Maud's screenplay). But if he continues to make movies that resonate as much as CMBYN has with breakout performances, he may make the cut in the future.

Had Dee Rees gotten a nod for Mudbound she would have been the first black woman to do so, but if she is going to make that historic mark it will be with another project. Tangerine really put Sean Baker on the indie map, and The Florida Project managed a little mainstream saturation, but it wasn’t enough to make the Best Director roll call. I thought Craig Gillespie was worthy ten years ago with Lars and the Real Girl, and though I, Tonya got two high-profile nominations for its actors Craig’s direction of them was an also-ran.

Christopher Plummer seems to have ridden appreciation for his quick reshoot work on All the Money in the World, but Ridley Scott has not been likewise acknowledged for making that decision and then making it work seamlessly in the finished film, despite having four previous nominations to his credit (Thelma & Louise, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, and The Martian). James Franco’s The Disaster Artist was probably not going to land him a directing nomination even before the public allegations, but afterwards there was less than no chance.

There was some fan clamoring for Patty Jenkins to break through here for helming Wonder Woman, but it wasn’t very realistic. Denis Villeneuve got his first nomination for The Arrival last year, but helming Blade Runner 2049 did not yield the same result. Screenwriter Taylor Sheridan (Sicario and Hell or High Water) traded in those success to make his directorial debut with the strong Wind River, but it didn’t get much action this awards season. Nor did Scott Cooper’s Hostiles, but the Crazy Heart and Out of the Furnace writer/director seems like he could break through eventually.

And as for another writer/director who’s work I am enjoying, S. Craig Zahler followed up his bloody and disturbing yet effective Horror/Western Bone Tomahawk with an even bloodier Prison flick with the honest title of Brawl in Cell Block 99. It is hyperviolent and plays well within the subgenre tropes and clichés, yet somehow I found the descent into violence incredibly entertaining. If you are a Tarantino devotee and you haven’t yet checked out S. Craig Zahler, remedy that immediately. Based on these first two movies and with his upcoming third being a corrupt cops gone wild saga called Dragged Across Concrete, I don’t imagine any Oscar nominations will be coming his way anytime soon or possibly ever, but I am digging his mayhem.

Haven't seen Dunkirk yet, but of the other nominated directors. I'm pretty sure Del Toro is a lock on this one, though I could live with Jordan Peele winning as well.