My Favorite Celebrity Singing Voices

Tools    

Usher

He's more than a pretty face and buff body...there was a time I thought he was going to be the next Michael Jackson and I'm not sure what happened to him, but it doesn't change the fact that he is a major talent with solid vocal abilities. I have enclosed the video for "You Got it Bad."

Jane Powell

She came to MGM as a teenager in the early 40's and was major star at MGM for more than two decades. Her onscreen personality was a little sugary, but her beautiful lyric soprano was completely irresistible. I have included a clip of her singing "Musetta's Waltz" in the 1953 musical Nancy Goes to Rio

Bobby Vinton

One of the biggest teen idols of the 50's, he had a voice like butter. Here's a clip performing one of his biggest hits "Blue Velvet."

Marni Nixon

You may not know the face, but you know the name and you know the voice. Nixon was a lyric soprano who not only played one of the nuns in The Sound of Music, but sang for three of movie musicals' most popular heroines. These three clips from West Side Story, My Fair Lady, and The King and I all feature Marni Nixon's voice coming out of these actresses' mouths.

Deniece Williams

She has a sound like Whitney Houston but a range like Beverly Sills...just like Minnie Riperton and Mariah Carey. this girl has an affinity for the high notes. Of course, She dueted with Johnny Mathis on the theme song for the NBC sitcom Family Ties but is most famous for her smash, "Let's Hear it for the Boy", which I have included here.

Sheryl Crow

A smoldering and sexy New Millenium Carly Simon, Sheryl brought a definite funk to the pop diva scene, made all the more impressive by the fact that she wrote most of the songs she recorded. I have included the one that made me sit up and take notice "All I Wanna Do."

Brian Stokes Mitchell

Most of you probably remember Brian from his role on the CBS drama Trapper John MD, but after that show went off the air, he became one of Broadway's busiest leading men. His commanding stage presence and rich baritone has allowed him to play roles like Fred/Petruchio in Kiss Me Kate, Coalhouse Walker in the musical version of Ragtime, Don Quixote in Man of La Mancha and a recent stage version of the MGM musical The Band Wagon. He also starred as Emile De Beque in a concert version of South Pacific from Carnegie Hall. I have included a clip of Stokes Mitchell from that concert singing "This Nearly was Mine."

Lea Michele

Possibly the best belter since Patti Lupone, Michele got her big break in the Broadway musical Spring Awakening before becming an official star on Glee. I have included a clip of her startling cover of Don't Rain on My Parade.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Brian Stokes Mitchell

Most of you probably remember Brian from his role on the CBS drama Trapper John MD, but after that show went off the air, he became one of Broadway's busiest leading men. His commanding stage presence and rich baritone has allowed him to play roles like Fred/Petruchio in Kiss Me Kate, Coalhouse Walker in the musical version of Ragtime, Don Quixote in Man of La Mancha and a recent stage version of the MGM musical The Band Wagon. He also starred as Emile De Beque in a concert version of South Pacific from Carnegie Hall. I have included a clip of Stokes Mitchell from that concert singing "This Nearly was Mine."

Brian Stokes Mitchell has an incredible voice. That's my favorite version of "South Pacific". BTW, he was also in a few episodes of the TV show "Frasier". He played Frasier's neighbor Cam Winston.

Brian Stokes Mitchell has an incredible voice. That's my favorite version of "South Pacific". BTW, he was also in a few episodes of the TV show "Frasier". He played Frasier's neighbor Cam Winston.
He also appeared on Glee as Rachel's gay dad.

Kathryn Grayson

The sultry brunette with the magnificent soprano was one of MGM's biggest musical stars, best known for her three film appearances with Howard Keel. I have included a clip of Grayson from one of those three films, Lovely to Look at, singing the classic "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes."

Teddy Pendergrass

Another singer who gave Barry White a run for his money where getting women to drop their panties was concerned. This sexy R&B King didn't even let a horrible accident that paralyzed him from the waist down slow him down. There's a clip here of a live performance of one of his biggest hits, "Turn off the Lights".

Peabo Bryson

One of the sexiest singers out there who has no problem sharing the spotlight. I have included the official video for his teaming with Celine Deon on the theme song from Beauty and the Beast.

Laurence Guittard

One of the most gorgeous tenors in the history of musical theater who never achieved the fame he should have. Guittard is most famous for creating the role of Count Carl Magnum in the original Broadway cast of A Little Night Music, a role he reprised in the 1977 film version. He later played Curly in a Broadway revival of Oklahoma! in the early 80's but haven't seen much of him since then. I couldn't find a video clip, but I did find an audio clip of his GORGEOUS solo from A Little Night Music called "In Praise of Women."

Donna Summer

The 70's Disco Queen ruled the charts during the late 1970's. I debated which one of her songs to include here because I wanted to pick the tune that best showed off her powerhouse pipes and I finally decided on "MacArthur Park". RIP, Donna.

Kathryn Grayson

The sultry brunette with the magnificent soprano was one of MGM's biggest musical stars, best known for her three film appearances with Howard Keel. I have included a clip of Grayson from one of those three films, Lovely to Look at, singing the classic "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes."

Kathryn Grayson has a beautiful voice, and I love her version of "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes".

James Ingram

One of the biggest R&B stars from the 80's and 90's, I've included his classic "One Hundred Ways".

I've always felt that James Ingram is very underrated. His song "Just Once" is one of my all-time favorite songs.

Meryl Streep

Is there anything this legendary actress can't do? In films like Postcards from the Edge, Into the Woods, and Prairie Home Companion, the Oscar winner has proved to be as competent a vocalist as an actress. This was the first entry on this list where I couldn't post just one clip of her vocal talent. I waffled but couldn't decide, so I have posted "Stay with Me" from Into the Woods and "The Winner Takes it All" from Momma Mia.

Howard Keel

Keel's powerhouse baritone was a major selling point of several classic musicals including Show Boat, Calamity Jane, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and Lovely to Look at. Decades later, CBS turned to Keel when Jim Davis passed away and Barbara Bel Geddes needed a romantic interest on Dallas. I have included a clip of "Where is the Life that Late I Led?" from Kiss Me Kate.