My Favorite Celebrity Singing Voices

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yeah gb I was only a lil kid when Carol had her show but it was a saturday night infront of the tv. She was amazing. Pretty crude from what I can remember?

Oh and listening to Billy ocean with my besties brings back memories.

And yes, George Michael - what an amazing voice.

I don't think I'd use the word "crude" to describe "The Carol Burnett Show", but she definitely didn't shy away from anything.

There used to be some episodes of her show on YouTube, but I haven't checked recently to see if they're still there. If they are, you should watch them when you get a chance. It's still one of my all-time favorite shows.

Oh and listening to Billy ocean with my besties brings back memories.

And yes, George Michael - what an amazing voice.
Oh yeah, both really good.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
There used to be some episodes of her show on YouTube, but I haven't checked recently to see if they're still there. If they are, you should watch them when you get a chance. It's still one of my all-time favorite shows.
My mum's bestie would come over for it. I just remember her saying something about Carol taking it over the edge or something like that. She was very different back inthe day.

And she was always first name basis like she came over for a roast dinner every saturday night. My mum was a total fangirl.

Thanks for the YT heads up.

I grew up listening to Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme, so most of my favorite Eydie Gorme songs were their duets. I think they both have great voices, and they sound terrific together.

81.Olivia Newton-John
I'm not a fan of some of Olivia Newton-John's pop hits, like her song "Physical", but I think she has a beautiful voice, and I love listening to her sing a good ballad. BTW, "Hopelessly Devoted to You" is one of my favorite Olivia Newton-John songs.

John Raitt was practically a legend on Broadway, but it's too bad that he didn't make more movies. I loved him in The Pajama Game.

Does anyone else remember seeing (and hearing) him sing on the TV show "Third Rock from the Sun"?

Michele Lee

Before she became a prime time soap queen, Michele Lee was a Broadway star...I have included a clip of her singing "I Believe in You" from the film version of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

Donald O'Connor

Donald O'Connor was primarily known as a dancer, but Donald had a lovely singing voice as well...listen to him in this duet with Ethel Merman from the musical "Call Me Madam."

Rod Stewart

That raspy thing that Stewart had going with his voice was hard to resist, it added an unexpected layer of emotion to his voice...I have included the video for "Some Guys Have All the Luck."

Dolly Parton

Originally a country western star, Parton's movie career helped her become a crossover star...not to mention her velvety singing voice. Enclosed here is a video for "Hard Candy Christmas", a song first introduced in her film The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

Jerry Orbach

Most people know him from his long running role on NBC's Law & Order, but long before that show premiered, Orbach was one of New York's most popular leading men in theater musicals, originating starring roles in The Fantastics, Carnival, 42nd Street, Promises, Promises and as the original Billy Flynn in Chicago There is a clip here from 42nd Street with Orbach performing "Lullaby of Broadway".

Larry Kert

Kert's gorgeous tenor voice first enthralled Broadway audiences when he originated the role of Tony in West Side Story. He also played Robert in the OBC of Company when original star Dean Jones left after a month. Fans of the 1977 musical New York New York also might remember him as Liza Minnelli's leading man in the "Happy Endings" sequence. I found a clip of his West Side Story co-star, Chita Rivera, introducing him as he performs "Being Alive" from Company.

Gladys Knight

One of the leading Motown icons for almost half a century, with and without the Pips, Knight is in possession of one of the most soulful and emotional voices out there. I have enclosed a clip of her and the Pips doing one of her most underrated tunes, "Neither One of Us."

Ray Charles

Charles' influence on my life started long before the 2004 movie with Jamie Foxx. My parents owned every single album that Ray Charles ever recorded so I grew up with the sound of his voice and his way with a ballad has definitely been an influence on my own musical training. The clip here is one of his biggest hits "Georgia on my Mind."

Michael McDonald

Michael McDonald had an amazing career as the lead singer of the Doobie Brothers and continues to write and perform today. What I loved about McDonald's voice is not only did no one else sound like him, but the first time I heard the Doobie Brothers, you couldn't tell me this guy wasn't black.

Phillip Bailey

One of the lead singers for Earth, Wind, & Fire, I was always jealous of his sultry falsetto, which was the highlight of many songs for the group, primarily "Reasons", a live performance of which I have included here.

David Cassidy

Still trying to wrap my head around his recent passing, I had to include Cassidy's hard rocking vocals on this list. I have included a live performance of "How Can I be Sure?", a top 40 hit he had after the cancellation of The Partridge Family. RIP, David.

Christine Ebersole

This veteran two time Tony Award winning actress and singer has been gracing Broadway audiences with her talent for over 30 years , most notably in the original productions of 42 nd Street and Grey Gardens. I have included a clip of her performing "I Cain't Say No" from the 1979 revival of Oklahoma!.

Luther Vandross

During the 1970's women were dropping their panties whenever Barry White came on the radio. In the new millenium, they were dropping them for Luther. One of the sexiest voices out there, here's Luther performing "A House is Not a Home."

Chris Colfer

Six seasons on Glee documented the unique instrument that was Chris Colfer's voice, one of the great enigmas of this business...his range is unbelievable, a very high tenor that almost creeps into the range of a contratenor...this guy can belt notes that most male singers can only do in falsetto and this guy's falsetto is like nothing I've ever heard. I have included a clip of his cover of "Le Jazz Hot" from Victor/Victoria.

Jerry Orbach

Most people know him from his long running role on NBC's Law & Order, but long before that show premiered, Orbach was one of New York's most popular leading men in theater musicals, originating starring roles in The Fantastics, Carnival, 42nd Street, Promises, Promises and as the original Billy Flynn in Chicago There is a clip here from 42nd Street with Orbach performing "Lullaby of Broadway".

Jerry Orbach sang my favorite version of "Try to Remember" from The Fantastics. (Coincidentally, the top image that you posted is from the video clip of him singing this song.)

Michael McDonald

Michael McDonald had an amazing career as the lead singer of the Doobie Brothers and continues to write and perform today. What I loved about McDonald's voice is not only did no one else sound like him, but the first time I heard the Doobie Brothers, you couldn't tell me this guy wasn't black.

I didn't know that Michael McDonald was in The Doobie Brothers, but I love his song "I Keep Forgettin'".