My Favorite Celebrity Singing Voices

Tools    

Rosemary Clooney

One of the top-selling vocalists of the 1950's, Clooney's rich tones and crisp diction made her a vocalist to be reckoned with...I have included her finest musical moment in the 1954 musical White Christmas, "You Didn't Do Right By Me."

Ted Neeley

One of the most underrated rock vocal instruments of the century, Neeley made his mark in cinematic history with one role...Jesus in the 1973 film version of the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar. Rarely have I heard a rock singer who had such control over his instrument. I have included his rendition of Gethsemane here, which is a voice lesson in itself.

Carol Burnett

Carol Burnett is world renowned as one of the funniest women in show business. People forget that Burnett is an accomplished singer, having started her career on Broadway in the musical Once Upon a Mattress. Burnett not only has monster pipes, but she knows how to sell a song and tell a story with a song. She also knows how to build a song without blowing her wad from the beginning. I have enclosed a clip of Burnett in rehearsal and onstage for the 1986 concert version of the Stephen Sondheim musical Follies performing "I'm Still Here."

Gordon MacRae

The handsome baritone began as a musician who played multiple instruments who soon found a career on Broadway and made his first impression in Hollywood starring in three different musicals with Doris Day, but made his biggest impact playing the leading roles in the film versions of two of Rodger and Hammerstein's biggest musicals, Oklahoma! and Carousel. I have included a clip of MacRae performing "Soliloquey" from Carousel.

Len Cariou

Before he became Tom Selleck's dad on the CBS series Blue Bloods, Len Cariou was a Broadway star whose rich baritone got him leads in the original broadway casts of Applause, A Little Night Music, and Sweeney Todd, for which he won a Tony Award. I have enclosed a clip of Cariou reuniting with his Sweeney Todd co-star, Angela Lansbury, to reprise their acclaimed duet from the show "A Little Priest."

George Michael

Despite a troubled personal life, George Michael had one of the most underrated singing voices in the business. Here'a clip from when he was still pretending to be part of Wham performing "Everything she Wants".

Ann Wilson

If there was one word to describe the lead singer of Heart's voice it would be "powerful"...one of the most powerful female vocalists in the business. This woman's voice is almost chilling in its power. I have included one of Heart's biggest hits, "Alone."

Stephanie Mills

Mills is best known for originating the role of Dorothy in the Broadway musical The Wiz. She also played Aunt Em in NBC's remake last year. I love Mills' voice because she is one of those singers whose voice is so unique she doesn't sound like ANYONE else...Mills has never been mistaken for any other singer. I have included the video for her top 40 disco hit "Pilot Error."

Billy Ocean

His movie-star good looks, his steamy vocal abilities, and that very sexy accent combined to make Billy Ocean one of the biggest musical stars of the 80's with hits like "Carribean Queen" and "Get Out of My Dreams (And into my car)" I have included the video of my favorite Ocean offering...the beautiful and hainting "Suddenly".

Luciano Pavarotti

This grizzly bear of an opera singer had such crossover success at one point that he actually made being an opera singer cool. I have included a clip of him singing the aria he is most associated with "Nessum dorma".

Eydie Gorme

Gorme, alone with hubby Steve Lawrence, was a frequent guest on The Carol Burnett Show and was one of the greatest Tin Pan Alley belters in the business. She passed away in 2013. I have included a clip of Gorme from The Ed Sullivan Show singing one of the most popular songs from the Broadway musical Mame.

Roger Daltrey

He first caught my attention in the 1975 musical Tommy and learned that Daltrey has one of the most powerful rock and roll voices I have ever heard. I have included a clip of Daltrey doing a live version of a song he introduced in Tommy, "I'm Free."

Olivia Newton-John

Her fresh-scrubbed good looks and her lilting voice were a perfect fit for the love songs she recorded in the 70's that even led to a brief movie career. I have included a clip of her top 40 hit from the movie Grease, "Hopelessly Devoted to You."

John Raitt

The late legendary baritone created two of the greatest leading men in Broadway history...Billy Bigelow in Carousel and Sid Sirokin in The Pajama Game. He is also the father of singer Bonnie Raitt. I have included the "If I loved You scene from the original Broadway production of Carousel.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

One of the most underrated rock vocal instruments of the century, Neeley made his mark in cinematic history with one role...Jesus in the 1973 film version of the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar. Rarely have I heard a rock singer who had such control over his instrument. I have included his rendition of Gethsemane here, which is a voice lesson in itself.
I dont recall him but just listened to that YT you posted. Was he classically trained? Hooley dooley you are right - what control. Goosebumps!

Charlotte Ritchie has a nice singing voice. It only occurs to me as I've just – after quite a long wait – got round to watching the final series of Fresh Meat. The fact that her character has some ability in that area comes as a surprise to her housemates, in Series 2 if I remember rightly.

Wasn't mad keen on Series 4 but I thought the final episode was a great success, and better than the equivalent in Peep Show.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I love Carol Burnett as both a singer and a comedienne. I'm looking forward to her Anniversary special on TV tomorrow night.

IMO, Gordon MacRae should be much higher on this list. He had an incredible voice.

I saw Len Cariou on Broadway in "Sweeney Todd" many years ago. He was amazing.

88.George Michael
While I'm not a big fan of Wham!, I agree that George Michael had a great voice.

I love Billy Ocean's voice, and I agree that "Suddenly" is his best song.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Yeah gb I was only a lil kid when Carol had her show but it was a saturday night infront of the tv. She was amazing. Pretty crude from what I can remember?

Oh and listening to Billy ocean with my besties brings back memories.

And yes, George Michael - what an amazing voice.