Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Eh? I must be living in a different Century. *scratches head* Do you have a source for that please? TIA.
I messed up two names in one post. It is Molly Bloom, and her attorney was James Walden. Walden is a prominent attorney who happens to be white. Can you think of any reason why the producers felt it necessary to change her attorney's race to black?

~Doc

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Can you think of any reason why the producers felt it necessary to change her attorney's race to black?

~Doc
Yes I can. More than one, infact. You implied it was fact so I'm curious where you got that from, Doc. And I'm also curious why you took a stab at skin colour, especially in this century, rather than the fact he's British of all things. That seems to be the colour of the month when it comes to casting choices these days eg if I complained an actor was american in a movie made in my country.

As for the name goof, I was just being a silly scalawag.

OT and totally random - not long ago we had sclliwag biscuits here. Original name was golliwog before the PC police had a meltdown, much like the meltdown they had over Coon cheese

I support Idris Elba taking all the white person roles purely because the reaction is often hilarious. And also it's somehow always him
I know. Amazing. And it's not like most people who see the movie will have even heard about Molly Bloom and Charlie Jaffey. I certainly hadnt heard of either, and I cant play poker.

OT and totally random - not long ago we had sclliwag biscuits here. Original name was golliwog before the PC police had a meltdown, much like the meltdown they had over Coon cheese
A Favorite toy in England was a Golliwog. Presume one cannot now buy one.

A Favorite toy in England was a Golliwog. Presume one cannot now buy one.
I have golliwogs from a fund raiser for Special Children's Hospital that I went to with my eldest bro

They were banned here for decades.

Blyton was famously racist:

Accusations of racism in Blyton's books were first made by Lena Jeger in a Guardian article published in 1966, in which she was critical of Blyton's The Little Black Doll, published a few months earlier. Sambo, the black doll of the title, is hated by his owner and the other toys owing to his "ugly black face", and runs away. A shower of rain washes his face clean, after which he is welcomed back home with his now pink face.[141]

Blyton was famously racist:
I dont know Enid's full story but isnt that more about mums freaking out about their kids playing in the mud? I know my mother did when I made mud pies before changing out of my dresses after mass on sunday morning. I mean she might have been a horrible xenophobe for all I know, but that's a reference to dirt. Still, it's a stupid thing to put in a kids book, especially if authors do it now when people are so busy flipping out about kids being wrapped in cotton wool.

just remember kids....Disney's mascot Mickey Mouse...based on blackface minstrel shows.
I didn’t know that. Not that I’ve ever given much thought to why Mickey looks the way he is.

Yes I can. More than one, infact. You implied it was fact so I'm curious where you got that from, Doc.
You left out your reasons why you believe the producers felt it necessary to change the attorney's race from white to black. Do you also believe it would be okay to change the Molly Bloom character's race from white to black?

Several years ago some prominent black actors whined to the press that they believed that not enough blacks were featured in starring roles. Therefore they stated that Hollywood was racist. In reaction the Motion Picture Academy chose to publicly flog themselves, and to make assurances that Hollywood would accommodate the complainers. Ever since then there has been an obvious (unwritten) quota system for blacks in prominent roles, irrespective of whether or not it makes any sense.

~Doc

I dont know Enid's full story but isnt that more about mums freaking out about their kids playing in the mud? I know my mother did when I made mud pies before changing out of my dresses after mass on sunday morning. I mean she might have been a horrible xenophobe for all I know, but that's a reference to dirt. Still, it's a stupid thing to put in a kids book, especially if authors do it now when people are so busy flipping out about kids being wrapped in cotton wool.
I wouldn't associate an "ugly black face" with mud. I mean look at the cover:

I'd also find that an incredible coincidence from the gollywog author. Think she was just a product of her time. She was born in the 19th Century and Britain had a longtime serious problem with racism. The backlash only properly started after she died, no one cared about it beforehand.

We probably should get this thread back on track.

This documentary was very interesting about a trader of goods in the Republic of Georgia. Less than 30 minutes long & I could have watched a lot more.

I wouldn't associate an "ugly black face" with mud. I mean look at the cover:

I'd also find that an incredible coincidence from the gollywog author. Think she was just a product of her time. She was born in the 19th Century and Britain had a longtime serious problem with racism. The backlash only properly started after she died, no one cared about it beforehand.
Yeah I know. I'm just being naive because I cant stand the thought of such intolerance, and brain washing kids on top of it. I dont know if my mum was a bigot or not because she died when I was young, but I dont recall her ever making a nasty or underhanded remark about my dolly, unlike my dad's 2nd wife who loved to talk about her daughter's 'ugly' wog doll. Oh god she was a nasty old troll. Thankgod for boarding school.

You left out your reasons why you believe the producers felt it necessary to change the attorney's race from white to black. Do you also believe it would be okay to change the Molly Bloom character's race from white to black?

Several years ago some prominent black actors whined to the press that they believed that not enough blacks were featured in starring roles. Therefore they stated that Hollywood was racist. In reaction the Motion Picture Academy chose to publicly flog themselves, and to make assurances that Hollywood would accommodate the complainers. Ever since then there has been an obvious (unwritten) quota system for blacks in prominent roles, irrespective of whether or not it makes any sense.

~Doc
Maybe because he's a great actor for a start. And no, it wouldnt bother me at all if the lead for Molly had a different heritage. She has a different complexion and hair. Didnt you notice that? And what's the quota code for casting again? You havent given me a reference yet, Doc.

That's interesting. I think I've got it all now. Thanks.

Kill Your Darlings (2013)

Most interesting man in the world
You should watch the '65 remake now Attack Of The Eye Creatures.
I didn't know there was a remake,until it said Attack Of The Eye Creatures has pretty much the same plot & dialogue,almost word for word... on the movies imdb page I was gonna click on the movie
but said ehh... Ive seen too many remakes lately with the exact same thing
a few mins later I saw your reply so guess I have to see it now..
I put it on my "watchlist".. I have about 800 things on my watchlist

Flight - 6.5/10

Decided to rewatch. Haven't seen Denzel this drunk since Man on Fire...