Rate the last album you've heard

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
South of Heaven (Slayer) -

Slayer are kind of OG Edgelords, but despite some of their corny lyrics their music still sounds really good.

Hall of the Mountain King (Savatage) -

I listened to this while running, so maybe I'm overrating it. That said, I really enjoyed it and it made my running (jogging, let's be real) go by seemingly faster. I dug the fantasy bullsh*t stuff about the White Witch and the Mountain King.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The most challenging album of the year!
Hardly. And the mix of spirituals with black metal is fresh, but just a gimmick, while the music isn't anything great.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Nils Frahm Spaces
- Intimate yet intense collection of Frahm originals, mostly done live, with some intimations of Phillip Glass but totally true to his personal muse. Hard to believe that one man could utilize so many different sounds and emotions alone on stage.

Ayalew Mesfin Hasabe (My Worries)
- Ethiopian folk, soul and groove from a protest singer who was banned for 13 years from music by the then-Communist regime for singing about personal freedom. Reflective of other African music of the era of the 1970s but filtered through Meslin's unique voice and vocals. Listening to his more-upbeat tracks, it's easy to see why he was considered the James Brown of Ethiopia. Here's one of his more contemplative tracks.

Let the night air cool you off
Less Wise Modified - Cody Jinks (2010/2017) -

You won't like it if you don't like country music, but if you do like country music, but you also get tired of modern country music, this album is for you. Thankfully Cody Jinks is becoming more well known, but he still isn't really a blip on the radar of most music fans on the internet. I think he is a tremendous songwriter and has the voice to fit the material. He's what country music needs, and this is a reissue of an early album that adds some production value to an album that was already good, but benefited from some added crispness of sound.

Wrangled - Angaleena Presley (2017) -

I could start this out with the same sentence as I did for the Jinks album. One of my favorite things in country music is the album that gives the middle finger to Nashville and whoever else might need it. This album is a big FU to Nashville, and hits on some social issues that are not often found in modern country music. I was totally enthralled by this album on first listen, so perhaps I overrated it. I'll be sure to revisit it start to finish at some point to double-check.

Muddy Waters - Redman (1996) -

Redman is tremendously talented as an MC, he's a joy to listen to. He goes hard, he gets grimy, and it just sounds like you want hardcore rap to sound like. Lyrically he's also very talented. His albums, from what I've heard, tend to feature very good beats. So, what keeps this from being a classic record? The skits. Just take those things out of there and you have an amazing album. So many skits, and they aren't funny and don't add anything the music itself doesn't take care of.

Blind Baby Has It's Mothers Eyes - Les Rallizes dénudés -

I'll just give everything five stars, because I am easy to please. I listened to this because I saw it when I looked this band up on Apple Music after looking at Mr Minio's RYM page. Turns out he's a big fan of this band, but he rated this one about a popcorn and a half lower than me. I'm guessing this album is much more accessible than the ones he is in love with. This album is great though, with simple drums and a very enjoyable bassline as a foundation to support some crazy guitar noise sh*t that would be what Jimi Hendrix would be into if he went mad before he died. Also sounded like The Stooges if they were more experimental. I have a hard time with ratings, because how in the world do I compare this with Cody Jinks and Angaleena Presley who I love for totally different reasons? Neither of those two country albums have the musical audacity of this album, neither of them are as hypnotic, but they are equals in my eyes. It's weird to compare and contrast them, because I am talking about why one is as good as the other, but I don't really have anything bad to say about the three of them. I also don't know why I feel as though I have to preface or justify my five star rating of country music. Hopefully I can get out of that mindset.

Blind Baby Has It's Mothers Eyes - Les Rallizes dénudés -

he rated this one about a popcorn and a half lower than me. I'm guessing this album is much more accessible than the ones he is in love with.
I listened to many, many, many of their bootlegs and felt kind of funny granting all of them very high ratings.
coolest album cover ever!
This looks like Cthulhu f*cked Game of Thrones.

“I was cured, all right!”
Hardly. And the mix of spirituals with black metal is fresh, but just a gimmick, while the music isn't anything great.
I found it challenging 'cause I hate the mixing of non metal music. And I liked all the songs.

I found it challenging
Listen to Hijokaidan's The Noise. Now that's challenging.

Welcome to the human race...
I used to think so, but I could easily swap it out for a number of other albums from their peak period. My current pick would be Grotesque, though I've also been wondering if it could be Perverted by Language or Wonderful and Frightening.

I used to think so, but I could easily swap it out for a number of other albums from their peak period. My current pick would be Grotesque, though I've also been wondering if it could be Perverted by Language or Wonderful and Frightening.
I have a major soft spot for The Infotainment Scan. LOOOOVED their Lost in Music cover.