Best Of The Year/Every Year

Tools    

@rauldc14 Great choice. It slipped my mind when thinking about this. It wouldn't have beat Audition for me anyway but probably takes the second spot. La La Land is brilliant, I love it as we will find out later but I still don't like the opening.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
@rauldc14 Great choice. It slipped my mind when thinking about this. It wouldn't have beat Audition for me anyway but probably takes the second spot. La La Land is brilliant, I love it as we will find out later but I still don't like the opening.
Oh it's definitely an acquired taste. The first time I saw it in the theater I wasn't too keen on it.

This might just do nobody any good.
Couple great scene from The Handmaiden that ought to be mentioned and, no, the best is not that one but it’s close. It achieves what something like, say, Blue is the Warmest Colour doesn’t in that feels purposeful and the explicity(?) is totally earned.

Best scene in Silence is a tough one for me. I gasped at the moment that... it talks. Shoutout (again!) to Issei Ogata slow deflation. Guy’s the best.

Now, something I’m probably alone on is the interactions between Affleck and Irons in Batman vs Superman. Had things gone (much, much) differently, I think their chemistry could’a been a highlight to a series.

Best Cinematography

My nominees here would be....
Arrival
Hacksaw Ridge
Passengers
Lion

But it's got to go to La La Land here. Just a beautifully shot film.

Another great moment: The Witch - “wouldst thou like to live deliciously?”

TOP 10 FAVORITE FILMS OF 2016

It's a pretty difficult year to rank as there were many films that I liked quite a lot. This would be my top ten favorites at this very moment, though:

1) The Handmaiden
2) Everybody Wants Some!!
3) Silence
4) The Love Witch (loved that film way more than I'd like to admit)
5) La La Land
6) Hail, Caesar!
7) Love & Friendship
8) Hell or High Water
9) Elle
10) The Nice Guys

There were a few others that I really liked as well (Paterson, Manchester By the Sea, ...).

1) The Handmaiden
2) Everybody Wants Some!!
3) Silence
4) The Love Witch (loved that film way more than I'd like to admit)
5) La La Land
6) Hail, Caesar!
7) Love & Friendship
8) Hell or High Water
9) Elle
10) The Nice Guys
What's Hail Caesar like compared to the Coens' other films? It's one of two films from them I have left and I've heard pretty mixed things about it.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

What's Hail Caesar like compared to the Coens' other films? It's one of two films from them I have left and I've heard pretty mixed things about it.
It's probably in their bottom half films, but my main frustration with it was actually that it wasn't longer. What's there is pretty great and the film only gets better and makes more sense in my memory as time goes on.
I would gladly see it again and that's a good sign.

2016: Favourite Films

Was really into 2016 while watching but i'm afraid that some of my favourites from that year won't hold up, plus i've watched practically nothing from then since early 2017. Planning on focus on each year from this decade throughout 2018 with an emphasis on foreign films as i'm way behind on those. Since it's been mentioned a few times i'm counting The Witch as 2015, i know why people count it as 2016 but i'm going by Letterboxd dates. Anyway, my top ten from 2016 right now:

01. American Honey
02. I, Daniel Blake
03. Manchester By The Sea
04. Everybody Wants Some!
05. Certain Women
06. 13TH
07. Your Name
08. Tickled
09. Moonlight
10. Sing Street

2016: Favourite Performances

Just going to add the rest of the performances right now as i'll probably not be around when you do the rest of them and i don't want to still be on 2016 when everyone has moved on.

Best Actor:

01. Dave Johns - I, Daniel Blake
02. Casey Affleck - Manchester By The Sea
03. Trevante Rhodes - Moonlight
04. Ferdia Walsh-Peelio - Sing Street
05. Mark Duplass - Blue Jay

Weak category for me. Love the top two and liked Rhodes quite a lot but the others are only solid, clearly i need to see more 2016 films.

Best Actress:

01. Sasha Lane - American Honey
02. Isabelle Huppert - Elle
03. Hailee Steinfeld - The Edge of Seventeen
04. Garance Marillier - Raw
05. Lucy Boynton - Sing Street

This is a better category than 2016 Actor for me. Don't love the bottom two but i was definitely impressed particularly for young actors. The top three are all really great. Objectively Huppert is probably better than Lane but i personally really connected with the latters performance and this is favourites not best after all.

Best Supporting Actress:

01. Hayley Squires - I, Daniel Blake
02. Lilly Gladstone - Certain Women
03. Michelle Williams - Certain Women
04. Laura Dern - Certain Women
05. Ella Rumpf - Raw

Another solid category. The Certain Women Actresses were fantastic, Gladstone and Squires are practically tied for my #1.

Man, I need to see I, Daniel Blake. Loving the choices Camo. Only film you have mentioned I didn't care for is Sing Street.

Man, I need to see I, Daniel Blake. Loving the choices Camo. Only film you have mentioned I didn't care for is Sing Street.
Thought Sing Street was quite a lot of fun, but yeah it shouldn't be in a top ten of anything. It's more indicative of the lack of good 2016 films i've watched.

Playing catch-up.

1. O.J.: Made in America
2. The Handmaiden
3. The Witch
4. I Am Not Your Negro
5. Silence
6. Elle
7. Things to Come
8. Moonlight
9. Hail, Caesar!
10. Sing Street
11. The Nice Guys
12. Swiss Army Man
13. Moana
14. Arrival
15. 10 Cloverfield Lane
16. La La Land
17. Weiner
18. The Neon Demon
19. Lo and Behold, Reveries of the Connected World
20. Midnight Special
21. Kubo and the Two Strings
22. Train to Busan

The first movie I can truly describe as a "guilty pleasure": Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Best Script

La La Land, Lion, Hacksaw Ridge and Don't Breathe are the 4 that I would nominate, but the clear winner of this one is......

The script is what set up the amazing performances for me. Got to love this from Lonergan.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I'll pick my favorite of everything later, but my top 10 of 2016 were:

1. La La Land
2. Sing Street
3. Your Name
4. Hacksaw Ridge
5. The Nice Guys
6. Moana
7. Moonlight
8. The Jungle Book
9. Zootopia
10. Manchester by the Sea/Fences - Can't choose, I think Manchester is overall a better film, but the dialogue in Fences is so fantastic.

Best Supporting Actress

Here's my nominees
Rooney Mara- Lion
Nicole Kidman- Lion
Viola Davis- Fences
Naomi Harris- Moonlight

As hard as it is to pass up on Viola Davis' great performance (it was great, even though the film was just above average), I've got to stay on the Manchester by the Sea train and give it to Michelle Williams, who was a revelation in her little bit of screen time in Manchester by the Sea.

Best Director 2016

Honorable Mentions: Larrain-Neruda, Villenuve-Arrival, Arnold-American Honey, Chazelle-La La Land

Chazelle was an extremely close second but I was ultimately just too impressed with what Scorsese was able to create at over 70 years old. Just amazing. Silence

Best Director

The contenders were
Oriol Paulo- Contratiempo
Kenneth Lonnergan- Manchester by the Sea
Mel Gibson- Hacksaw Ridge
Denis Villeneuve- Arrival

But the winner is Damien Chazelle for me!

Of course, I haven't seen Scorsese, so who knows if he would be in the hunt for me.