@PETA

Tools    

What is it that makes people decide something should be slaughtered as a baby for Veal and allow them to live to an adult for Beef?

Edit: Sorry, this is worded horribly. I was asking how butchers determine this?
That's a good question. I suspect it varies between companies. The location where cattle is mass produced is likely different from the dairy sector where new cows are a profitable by-product.

You're probably talking about upwards of four separate locations cows end up in depending on what kind of cow they are and where they originate from.

What is it that makes people decide something should be slaughtered as a baby for Veal and allow them to live to an adult for Beef?

Edit: Sorry, this is worded horribly. I was asking how butchers determine this?
Generally it's determined by sex. Male calves are more commonly used for veal, since they can't produce milk and fewer males are needed for breeding purposes.

I thought as much. How about you use some of that hostility trying to create wars with people you dont know on a movie forum calling them morons, hypocrites ad nauseum, lecturing on your new found veganism, trying to shift blame for some conflict you got into with non existent friends of mine from imdb and, educate yourself about what harvesting of palm oil is doing. There's your challenge for the weekend. Might keep you calmly entertained.
Think both of you started off on a disagreement and now you're both digging your heels in, JMO. Dani has conceded a tonne from talking to me calmly about this, think she has been very fair and Omni is being mischaracterized as someone that forces you to listen to him. I've had loads of problems with him in the past but i think he just feels strongly about his views and is going to mention them if something relevant to them are brought up. Or if he creates a thread to talk about it like he did, that's no different from any of us creating a thread about our beliefs his is just alot more unpopular.

to camo, Cows are permanently pregnant to remain lactating and the baby cows are sent back for dairy production and the baby bulls are sent off as vealers.
Thanks!

I thought as much.
You thought I'd ask you why you put so much emphasis on palm oil?

Originally Posted by Dani8
How about you use some of that hostility
I've been pretty chill throughout this whole thread actually.

trying to create wars with people you dont know on a movie forum calling them morons, hypocrites ad nauseum, lecturing on your new found veganism,
It's nothing new.

trying to shift blame for some conflict you got into with non existent friends of mine from imdb
I have a feeling you're not going to answer my question about palm oil.

and, educate yourself about what harvesting of palm oil is doing.
I know what it's doing. OH, is that why you say it's "newfound veganism"? You think I'm some hotshot upstart with a bone to pick? I've simply asked why you care.

I never understood how not buying something is complicated.
Being a vegan is hardly as simple as “not buying something”, which statement makes no sense at all. Vegans must find substitutes for all animal products in their diet as well as their apparel. That can’t be easy. Depending on where one lives, not every store sells vegan products. Then they have to find a substitute for wool & leather to name 2 animal products they must avoid wearing.

Pescetarians are not vegetarians.
Untrue. I’m a pescatarian, which is a vegetarian who eats fish.

Predominately, dairy cows are sent to slaughter after they've outlived their usefulness as milk sources, and to get the maximum milk from them, cows are artificially inseminated to kickstart their reproductive cycle which results in calves which are slaughtered for the veal industry.
Some American farmers to make ends meet these days are selling dairy cows for their beef. Only male calves are used for veal.

Omni is being mischaracterized as someone that forces you to listen to him. I've had loads of problems with him in the past but i think he just feels strongly about his views and is going to mention them if something relevant to them are brought up.
I don't mention even half the contentious stuff I think, it's just not worth bringing up. Some conversations get you nothing but burnt bridges and bruised egos.

Male calves are more commonly used for veal, since they can't produce milk and fewer males are needed for breeding purposes.
Barbarism. Chained in tight spaces so they can’t move. This way they stay tender & not musclebound.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Barbarism. Chained in tight spaces so they can’t move. This way they stay tender & not musclebound.
Even worse, true vealers are aborted foetuses.

Even worse, true vealers are aborted foetuses.
Cannot be sold legally in America.

I want to correct a misstatement I made: veal is not predominantly sold from male calves. Female calves that are not needed for the dairy industry can be sold as veal also.

So glad I am no part of any of this.

Being a vegan is hardly as simple as “not buying something”, which statement makes no sense at all.
Okay, here I made a graphical tutorial on how to go vegan, maybe this will help:

Originally Posted by Stirchley
Vegans must find substitutes for all animal products in their diet
No they don't.

Depending on where one lives, not every store sells vegan products.
I've literally never even heard of a super market that does not sell vegan food.

Then they have to find a substitute for wool
Cotton is cheaper.

& leather
Synthetic is cheaper.

Untrue. I’m a pescatarian, which is a vegetarian who eats fish.
Meat is flesh, fish have flesh, eating fish is eating meat. Not vegetarian.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	vegan.png
Views:	107
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	41840  

I've literally never even heard of a super market that does not sell vegan food.
There must be hundreds of thousands of people who don’t live anywhere near a supermarket nor have the means of traveling to one. Not to mention the fact that vegan substitutes are not inexpensive.

Cotton is cheaper.
Never heard of a cotton winter coat.

Synthetic is cheaper.
Not necessarily.

Meat is flesh, fish have flesh, eating fish is eating meat. Not vegetarian.
The Merriam-Webster dictionary dates the origin of the term pescatarian to 1993 and defines it as: "one whose diet includes fish but no other meat".

There must be hundreds of thousands of people who don’t live anywhere near a supermarket nor have the means of traveling to one. Not to mention the fact that vegan substitutes are not inexpensive.
So don't buy vegan substitutes.

Never heard of a cotton winter coat.
Lemme check my coats real quick...

First one is 100% polyester.
Second one is 100% polyester.
Third one is 100% polyester.

Not necessarily.
It necessarily would be if we stopped subsidizing animal agriculture.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary dates the origin of the term pescatarian to 1993 and defines it as: "one whose diet includes fish but no other meat".
Fish is meat confirmed. Not vegetarian.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Well, at least I thought the thread started out pretty funny.
I found two!!
How many are there hidden within these halls?!