Oscars 2018 Best Picture

Tools    

Which is your choice for Oscar's Best Picture?
7.89%
3 votes
CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
2.63%
1 votes
DARKEST HOUR
5.26%
2 votes
DUNKIRK
5.26%
2 votes
GET OUT
5.26%
2 votes
LADY BIRD
7.89%
3 votes
THE PHANTOM THREAD
0%
0 votes
THE POST
28.95%
11 votes
THE SHAPE OF WATER
36.84%
14 votes
THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI
38 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
How I would rank them: (watching Phantom Thread soon)
1. Shape of Water
2. Lady Bird
3. Get Out
4. Call me by Your Name
5. Three Billboards
6. Darkest Hour
7. Dunkirk
8. The Post

My personal preference among the nine nominees...

1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
2. Lady Bird
3. The Shape of Water
4. Get Out
5. Call Me By Your Name
6. Dunkirk
7. The Phantom Thread
8. The Post
9. Darkest Hour

Darkest Hour is really the only one of the nine I will probably never watch again all the way through. Not that I hated it, it was simply and completely unremarkable to me, including Oldman's performance. But different strokes and all.

The Oscars seemed poised to choose one of my top four, so I'm good with whichever it winds up being.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Bat**** insane that I actually saw 6 of these in the theater. 2 I didn't see until BluRay release and one that I haven't seen.

Even better than I did last year.

Unless Get Out pulls off the upset, the Best Picture is going to go to yet another movie that "nobody" much has seen, in terms of box office. The two winners that made the least amount of money at the domestic box office in the history of the award came in recent years, and the ones just above them weren't much better in terms of business.

THE LOWEST GROSSING BEST PICTURES
1. The Hurt Locker ($17-million)
2. Moonlight ($28-million)
3. Birdman ($42-million)
4. The Artist ($44-million)
5. Spotlight ($45-million)

These are the current domestic takes for the nine nominees...

Call Me By Your Name ($14-million)
Phantom Thread ($16-million)
Lady Bird ($45-million)
Three Billboards… ($46-million)
The Shape of Water ($51-million)
Darkest Hour ($52-million)
The Post ($74-million)
Get Out ($176-million)
Dunkirk ($188-million)

The three that seem to be fighting it out as the favorites, Shape of Water, Billboards, and Lady Bird are all about the same level, around $50-million. That will go up a bit over the next month or so, but probably not substantially.

The last Best Picture nominee that made over $200-million domestically was The Martian, the last over $300-million was American Sniper, and the last time the biggest money maker of the year actually got a nod was Toy Story 3 ($415-million). The last Best Picture winner that even grossed over a hundred million was The King’s Speech ($135-million).

For the record, the top grossing movies of 2017 were Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($617-million), Beauty & the Beast ($504-million), and Wonder Woman ($412-million).

Really surprises me that The Hurt Locker did the least at the Box Office of all Best Picture winners. I mean it has action i understand why it wasn't a blockbuster but you'd expect one of the slowish drama's like The English Patient or something to make less.

Really surprises me that The Hurt Locker did the least at the Box Office of all Best Picture winners. I mean it has action i understand why it wasn't a blockbuster but you'd expect one of the slowish drama's like The English Patient or something to make less.
That was back when most of my movie info was coming from Entertainment Weekly and really mainstream stuff like that. Hurt Locker was a pretty small film weirdly. I didn't hear about it till Oscar time and watched it on DVD. So glad I am not a mouth breather anymore.

That was back when most of my movie info was coming from Entertainment Weekly and really mainstream stuff like that. Hurt Locker was a pretty small film weirdly. I didn't hear about it till Oscar time and watched it on DVD. So glad I am not a mouth breather anymore.
All i remember about The Hurt Locker from then was the whole ex husband vs ex wife battle for the Best Director Oscar. Was rooting for Bigelow even though i hadn't seen it because i hated Avatar haha.

My personal rankings would look something like this:

1. Call Me By Your Name
2. Phantom Thread
3. Lady Bird
4. The Shape of Water
5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
6. Get Out
7. Dunkirk
8. The Post
9. Darkest Hour

Everything from Dunkirk up I really really liked. I ranked Dunkirk lowest out of those films simply because it was the one that had to grow on me - I didn't care for it the first time, but since rewatching it and digesting it, my opinion of it has improved significantly. Still genuinely surprised by the weird backlash Three Billboards... has been getting, so it's nice seeing Holden rank it at #1. I also liked The Post a lot but the second time was a bit more underwhelming, unfortunately. Still a good flick.

Darkest Hour is the only one I didn't care for.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
What the hell... here's my "dire" list.

1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
2. Dunkirk
3. The Shape of Water
4. The Post
5. Call Me By Your Name
6. Get Out
7. Phantom Thread
8. Lady Bird
9. Darkest Hour

Three Billboards has pretty much got this in the bag, along with Lead Actress, Supp. Actor, and Screenplay.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
Pretty sure Three Billboards will win Best Picture, as well as a few others.

No Blade Runner 2049? Travesty... That's got to be at least as good as The Shape of Water.

Welcome to the human race...
^it's not that surprising given the Academy's general bias against sci-fi (especially when it comes to BP), but it seems especially egregious considering how they had no problem nominating Villeneuve and Arrival last year

Also, anyone else think it was a little weird that Three Billboards won the "Outstanding British Film" award at the BAFTAs?

Unless Get Out pulls off the upset, the Best Picture is going to go to yet another movie that "nobody" much has seen, in terms of box office. The two winners that made the least amount of money at the domestic box office in the history of the award came in recent years, and the ones just above them weren't much better in terms of business.
So what film do you think is going to win Holden?

So what film do you think is going to win Holden?
He gave his best guess (and some tremendous analysis) back on page 2, though we discuss this on the upcoming podcast as well, which should be up in a day or two.