Animal stories, photos, movies, books. Feel good stuff.

Tools    

I dont know what you mean, buddy? Do you need our protocols for vaccinations and desexing? If you want advice for desexing bitches in season here, not advised because there are too many engorged blood vessels and they can bleed profusely during recovery. Vax protocol changed a few years ago. Used to be every year now it's all vax and boosters in the first year then boosters every 2 or 3 years.
I agree.

The spay thing reminds me of a cat that came in several years ago for being a bit off her game. The only thing that turned up on her exam was some tartar and gingivitis, so the owner agreed to a dental cleaning and, after some debate, finally agreed to spay her as well while we had her down. Her teeth needed the cleaning, but were OK underneath, but she turned out to be in the earliest stages of a pyometra -- nasty, potentially life-threatening uterine infection, which the spay obviously nipped in the bud. She perked right up after that!

Do let us know how DP does with her cleaning.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I agree.

The spay thing reminds me of a cat that came in several years ago for being a bit off her game. The only thing that turned up on her exam was some tartar and gingivitis, so the owner agreed to a dental cleaning and, after some debate, finally agreed to spay her as well while we had her down. Her teeth needed the cleaning, but were OK underneath, but she turned out to be in the earliest stages of a pyometra -- nasty, potentially life-threatening uterine infection, which the spay obviously nipped in the bud. She perked right up after that!

Do let us know how DP does with her cleaning.
Oh wow pyometra is dreadful, but gee, my vets wont do any dental work with other work. According to them it's just too easy for nasty infections in the mouth.

Speaking of which, poor demented pug is currently having teeth removed. I think she'll be quite out of it tonight when she comes home.

I dont want to save and repaste these pictures so Im just posting the article

Behold The Most Hilarious Wildlife Photos of 2017

https://gizmodo.com/behold-the-most-...017-1821301269

LMAO at the penguins going to church!!!

i am just wanna leave her as she is, to her nature. I am experiencing her bleeding and nervousness and I kind of feel to leave her to it. I will see. In case, it goes to any kind of extremes (false gravidity, extreme aggression and similar)
Originally posted by Stirchley:
Please have your dog spayed. It is injurious for a female dog to be in heat on a regular basis. It plays havoc on her emotions & well-being. Not to mention the fact that she will attract every male dog in the vicinity when you take her for a walk. Can you imagine how unpleasant that will be for her?
I agree with Stirchley.

I don't know how old Leia is, or whether you've ever bred her or plan to breed her, but besides the above, consider the risk of ovarian or uterine cancer or pyometra (a life-threatening uterine infection) to which older, intact female dogs are susceptible. And of course I don't know when her cycle started relative to her little adventure, but I have to wonder whether her heat may have been responsible for her wandering in the first place -- in any case, a dog on the loose is clearly at risk of getting pregnant if she's in heat.

Originally posted by Stirchley:

I agree with Stirchley.

I don't know how old Leia is, or whether you've ever bred her or plan to breed her, but besides the above, consider the risk of ovarian or uterine cancer or pyometra (a life-threatening uterine infection) to which older, intact female dogs are susceptible. And of course I don't know when her cycle started relative to her little adventure, but I have to wonder whether her heat may have been responsible for her wandering in the first place -- in any case, a dog on the loose is clearly at risk of getting pregnant if she's in heat.
I dont agree with using the reason that getting it done because it plays havoc with her emotions yadda yadda. If that were the case all women would get themselves desexed. Just not a good example when trying to persuade a dog owner, and his pet only showed emotional distress after the escape episode.

I would never, however, have an entire bitch here, especially one who has enjoyed an escape. All of my dogs were fixed as soon as I retired them from showing, and they were segregated 24/7 prior.

Thanks, BoP. We had no idea. Came on so fast. Poor little monster. Now there will be two of us in the house on pain meds. At least it will be quiet for once.

Demented pug's visit to the dentist sure was a christmas from santa. All teeth pulled. ALL. Far out, first I go away to hospital for 6 weeks then come home and the healthy dog I left comes home a gummy bear. Atleast Mr D will have an easier time trimming her nails infuture and wont look so much like one giant war wound.

Mr D is now fully in charge of the dogs during recovery period for us both. I walk into kitchen at the sight of him with kibble in my food processor.

Me - What are your doing?
Him - grinding up kibble
Why? - she has no teeth now.

What...the...

Atleast it was original. Full points for that.

She's very bright and sparky this morning. Nothing stops Demented Pug; even having no teeth.

But for your viewing pleasure, something else entirely. Only short

i could not resist to post these. This is from today's walk by the riverbank

zebra cart in the indian city of calcutta circa 1930 . the zebra was bought by a rich man from the zoo for a princely sum .

Why post a photo of animal cruelty, which is what using a zebra in this way is?

I moved to a new neighborhood and this is the best Leia's friend. He is Samoyed and he is very lazy too and finally winter is over and everything is nice and green

I moved to a new neighborhood and this is the best Leia's friend. He is Samoyed and he is very lazy too and finally winter is over and everything is nice and green

Hello Nesto! My puppas send very warm winter thrills and chills to your puppa. Good to see you back, young man!!!

Isnt this weather insane. Autumn here and my boy with allergies to pollen in spring has started the scratchies.

Isnt this weather insane. Autumn here and my boy with allergies to pollen in spring has started the scratchies.
That's interesting. How long has it been going on? (Are you sure he's reacting to his usual spring stuff, as opposed to something else?) Do you give him anything for allergies? Is global warming catching up?

That's interesting. How long has it been going on? (Are you sure he's reacting to his usual spring stuff, as opposed to something else?) Do you give him anything for allergies? Is global warming catching up?
Hello stranger. How are you?

Just the other night we both noticedhim doing his scratchies and rollies on his back.

I have no idea whats going on. Northern hemisphere cold. southern hemisphere warm. I noticed today magpies giving love calls and native bushes in my garden blooming. Its gorgeous weather so I'm not complaining. Just a bit scary because this is the time for the firies doing hazard reduction burns. I dread the thought of a winter fire season. 500 firies were needed the other day when one of our defence force barracks caught fire. Not even time for evacuation.

hey Dani, I love this thread and I'm gonna keep posting pictures of Leia. She follows me much better than before her involuntary trip to shelter and looks like she's maturing. Spring is here and i gotta be careful about ticks and ppl keep buying anti tick collar for dogs, however, imagine that, somehow Leia is immune to ticks and she's not getting them. They probably dont like her blood or something, Do you have tick problem in Australia?