If you live in the US.... (Net Neutrality)

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Singling out people? No. That's silly. Its much easier to simply flag anything that comes from Netflix.com's IP address.

I'm glad you have ISP options. 1) other ISPs will be able to do the same, and 2) I have no other options here.

Yes I do agree with Yoda. I do not see this as an either/or argument as there are other matters playing out than the one I referenced, and I do believe there are several points to argue for both views on this. You asked what net neutrality is. I tried to define it, at least in context to the conversation here.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Oh. I did nod to basic economics. It technically is not a free market once a gatekeeper can choose what is available to that market. It's all relative.

I'm glad you have ISP options. 1) other ISPs will be able to do the same, and 2) I have no other options here.
Where you at? Kansas? I thought they got internet in there last year? In 1980 there were no other options. There was the Telephone company and that was it. What we have today is far from that. Maybe you don't have another option now (even tho I find that hard to believe) you will someday if you live in the US. You must be pretty far out if you only get one option. I'm pretty far out and we still have at least 3 to choose from. I go with the bigger company as the bigger companies have the biggest pipes.

Ha ha! Go Luke. Mark Hamill's response to Ajit Pai's attempt to be smug about the ruling change by posting a video of him acting like a Jedi:

and an even better response to Ted Cruz who felt the need to butt his nose in the dialogue but couldnt be bothered to get Hamill's handle correct:

ooooh! The force is still strong with this one...

mark hamill is mean

I saw that this went viral, but it feels (forgive the fun) forced. He had an extra "m"? Wow, what a smackdown.

Really looking forward to John Oliver TOTALLY DESTROYING someone for the inaccurate use of a semicolon.

I saw that this went viral, but it feels (forgive the fun) forced. He had an extra "m"? Wow, what a smackdown.

Really looking forward to John Oliver TOTALLY DESTROYING someone for the inaccurate use of a semicolon.
I think the "smackdown" was more the about the sex-video line. Not that it's really a smackdown either. To be honest, the biggest smackdowns are the ones that change someones views or gets them to be complicit, in which case the biggest smackdown of Cruz has been Trump getting him to campaign for him after the repeated petty and personal attacks against him.

I don't like Cruz, but I feel bad for him.

That said, Cruz plays into the "smackdown" culture on the right anyway. If you look at conservative media there'll be plenty of people saying the true smackdown was Cruz's.

Also, nobody really knows what semicolons do; that's what makes them great!

Back to Net Neutrality. I'll agree with a lot of people here that it's a very important concept, and very basic freedoms are at play. But one thing I'll grant the other-side is that they're right to downplay the apocalyptic scenarios coming out of THIS particular policy change. I think NN is important, and I think it means a lot to the public. By that logic, I think that NN will be reinforced in the future by future administrations.

I'd agree that if it stayed this way for good, it could be pretty disastrous. But I also believe that people have taken it seriously enough that there will be change in the future on this. I know that each battle takes on a lot of symbolic importance, but NN isn't dead now.

(that said, I probably shouldn't take it for granted either)

Yeah, don't take that as much of a defense of Cruz in total. I just think this "look at this EPIC TAKEDOWN" culture stuff is getting really dumb. I'll see something that says "...and they had the perfect response" and the format is literally [person says something I agree with and isn't even particularly articulate about it].

A system of cells interlinked
Pretty sure neither side has my best interest in mind. That said, I will (as usual) err on the side of freedom.