2014 Box Office Challenge III

Tools    

'Bout time for another of these suckers isn't it? Couple weeks?
Ill trt and put it up this weekend. Here is a question for next year. 3 rounds of 4 months or 4 rounds of 3? I have been wavering back and forth.

Week 11:

$24,500,000

Exodus whimpers out a win this weekend. Did okay internationally. One person has it as a bomb. I think it will be that but not by much. Big Hero 6 is having issues getting into the black which will be a problem for a few of us.

Shame on me for missing our update last week, shame on you guys for not holding me accountable. Box Office is updated in second post. Couple more weeks till a full update.

Don't forget to sign up for round I for next year. I will bump that thread now.

Big Hero 6 is looking worrying. I knew nothing about it, but I was expecting more from a Christmas animation. Maybe it'll pick up a little once the kids are off school? Looking at IMDB it seems it still has a lot of places to open yet. It's not in the UK until the end of January and Japan doesn't get it until next week, so there's still time, but it's not going to be huge.

Would you say that's the bare minimum Exodus could open without it being written off already? If this didn't have Bale and Ridley among the credits I think it'd be written off already. I had no idea what it was when JD bombed me with it, but I was horrified to see its budget.

Week 12:

$56,220,000

No surprises this week. Hobbit takes the crown and should coast into the black. Couple weeks till an update. Check out the box office for the week in the second post.

We need some people to sign up for round I 2015. I have sent out a couple PM, but no one seems too eager. If we don't get at least eight, I think I will skip a round. I won't let it die though. Maybe its the holidays, but tell your friends to get with it.

I thought Horrible Bosses 2 would do $100m by now. I was hoping for $125m but it doesn't look like it's going to get close. I also didn't know that Night At The Museum 3 was released the same weekend as the Hobbit film. Still, I think most of us went for those two, so that shouldn't make much difference.

Week 13:

$41,420,000

The Hobbit wins again, no surprise. It gets into the black in only its second week with a whopping budget. Big weekend so a lot of movies are looking in pretty good shape. The big losers continue to be us that were hoping for big things from this season's animation. Also not in good shape is The Interview, sorry Donnie.

I updated the leader board. Teeter continues to be the leader, but Jiraffejustin is nippin at her heels. This round will probably close out a bit later than usual because Inherent Vice and Foxcatcher have not opened wide yet.

I will keep you guys updated.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Hey, I'm not in last place anymore. I've got to start picking those crappy horror movies. I don't think I picked any for next round. Oh well.

I sure was wrong about Left Behind. I need to stop reading about what movies will do and just guess.

$1,623,521,000

Congratulations Teeter_G winner of Round III of the Box Office Challenge. Her movies went a whopping $1,623,521,000 over the doubled budget of her chosen films. Unlike the first two rounds of our challenge the bomb pick was not the deciding factor, instead playing almost a non existent role. Teeter's key to success was a little horror film called Annabelle. She was the only one to choose it and it was the fifth highest earner of the round, getting to nearly $250 million over its doubled budget. Great job Teeter.

We have still yet to have anyone pick a perfect round, which is something I am looking forward to happening eventually. The full leader board is in the second post, as well as what a perfect round would have looked like.

Congrats, Teeter!

Nice second place, JJ!

You go, Godoggo! Keep that last place streak alive!
I so badly wanted to send you a PM when you didn't pick Hobbit and ask why. I decided to keep my integrity intact instead. So I will ask now, how could you not pick Hobbit?

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I so badly wanted to send you a PM when you didn't pick Hobbit and ask why. I decided to keep my integrity intact instead. So I will ask now, how could you not pick Hobbit?
Because I project my opinion on to everyone else. I saw the first one and I was so bored. All I can even remember about that movie is a bunch of people and maybe a hobbit or two sitting around a campfire. I didn't think anyone would subject themselves to sitting through a sequel much less paying to sit through it. Little do I know.

My picks are usually based on a movie looking dumb so I don't pick it. This next round I picked movies that looked absolutely horrible, so we will see if I do any better.