2014 Box Office Challenge II

Tools    

Week 3:

$36,000,000

Apes again after it looked like Purge might squeeze out a victory on Friday. The good news for Gunslinger is that Purge is in the black already, excellent pick. The other release this week was Planes. It will probably end up with a positive number but will not be a huge number. That may be the story for a lot of movies this round.

No leader board as of yet but all numbers are updated in first post and the weekend box office will be up in moments.

Week 3:

$36,000,000

Apes again after it looked like Purge might squeeze out a victory on Friday. The good news for Gunslinger is that Purge is in the black already, excellent pick. The other release this week was Planes. It will probably end up with a positive number but will not be a huge number. That may be the story for a lot of movies this round.

No leader board as of yet but all numbers are updated in first post and the weekend box office will be up in moments.
That's why I picked it. Now it just have to have a good theatrical run.

Week 4:

$44,025,000

The award for worst bomb pick this round may very well go to yours truly. Lucy wins the Box Office this week and could make a bit of cash for Masterman. Hercules will probably have a little tougher time but should come pretty close to breaking even. It will do better than Lucy worldwide but also has a pretty good size budget.

We go into our second month next week and have a big release coming so I promise a leader board. In the mean time the numbers are updated for your viewing pleasure.

Week 5:

$94,000,000

A huge week for Marvel, what else is new. All but one of us were on the Guardians band wagon and will begin to reap the benefits in a couple weeks. This round is going to be interesting because it is going to be all about those fourth and fifth picks and how many of us picked things in those spots that will be able to get in the black.

I put up a leader board, pretty ugly lots of red but that will change. One of us has managed to get in the black but I think that person will be wishing for the Marvel money when all is said and done.

Our first "what to do?" moments have come up in the last couple of weeks. Both Rage and Road To Palomoa have no BO numbers or budgets that I can find. My inclination is to call these picks a wash. It is a risk to pick these low budget movies either for your list or for a bomb. Considering they are bomb picks I think we can just scratch them for those people. That may give people more incentive to take more risks with their bombs in the future. Let me know what you guys think, I am open to suggestions.

Yeah, I knew nothing about Guadians and, while I still think it looks terrible, it does look as if it's going to be huge.

Week 6:

$65,575,000

Michael Bay strikes again. I know he din't direct but if this is not his film nothing is. Pick of the week goes to Honeykid for Step Up, those movies apparently do great world wide. I set the budget from the last movie that was only two years ago. Hopefully a budget will show up, if not I think that is fair.

All numbers and weekly Box Office updated in first two posts. Only going to do a leader board every four weeks from now on. It is a lot of work for not a lot movement to do weekly.

I wish I'd known Into The Storm was released the same weekend as TMNT. Here's hoping it has legs.
It will be close. $100mil budget isn't bad for this day and age.

I picked it mainly for its worldwide appeal. However, it's still going to need legs with TMNT and GOTG around. I might get lucky, though. As I said when I picked it, it's a risk, but it'll make things more interesting for me.

Week 7:

$28,400,000

Turtles wins again. Not a huge number but the big news is Expendables could not have bombed harder. Not good news for four of us. Very well could blow our chances at winning. No budget yet but Expendables 2 was $100 million so we can go with that if need be.

I need some input on what to do for a budget for Get On Up. Could use the budget from The Help, which was last similar looking movie from that director. Let me know what you guys think.

Everything updated except for leader board. Still planning on doing that once a month.

wiki has Get On Up with a $30m budget. I'd say use that until/unless the usual sources say different.

Pleased to see The Expendables 3 dying. Not for the game so much, though it helps, obviously, but because, a) it means it might die on its arse and, b) because of the PG-13 Rating which will, inevitably, lead to an unrated/R rated dvd release. I hate that ****.

wiki has Get On Up with a $30m budget. I'd say use that until/unless the usual sources say different.
Thanks HK, should have checked wiki this week. I did last week and they didn't have one.

Planes II annoys me for the game, but reaffirms my hope in the viewing public. That being said I will be lucky to break even from the looks of it.
It is ironic that I feel the same way about Expendables. You went to see that and I went to see Planes. I may or may not have been with a 7 and 5 year old and slept through half.

Anyway you Planes folks are in better shape than us Expendables people over here. Looks like we are going to get annihilated.

It is ironic that I feel the same way about Expendables. You went to see that and I went to see Planes. I may or may not have been with a 7 and 5 year old and slept through half.

Anyway you Planes folks are in better shape than us Expendables people over here. Looks like we are going to get annihilated.
This is true.

Planes II hasn't done anything like the worldwide business I thought it wouild. Lucy has been the big surprise for me. Given how things are starting to shake out, picking that might save a few people. Sadly, I won't be one of them. The Galaxy money is going to start coming in next week, too. That and How to Train Your Dragon 2 are going to cost me. Still, it's not called a risk because it's a sure thing, is it.

Week 9:

$16,313,000

I missed a week and you guys didn't even call me out on it. The hit of the summer was back in the number one slot. The big news the last few weeks is simply how awful Expendables and Sin City are performing. You had to figure at least one of those would make money at the end of the summer, but both have bombed hardcore.

Bomb picks continue to make a huge difference in these challenges. I hope that will get us to make some riskier bomb picks going forward. Three bomb picks are not going to make a difference on way or the other this round.

All numbers including leader board are updated in the first two posts so check it out. Congrats to our new leader and his awesome Purge pick: Gunslinger.

Not doing well at all with these. I know I picked some riskier choices, but I thought both Into The Storm and Step It Up would perform better than they are. The only good thing I've done is dodge Sin City and Expendables. I thought they'd both do poorly, but I thought they'd make a little,

I avoided The Expendables 3 like the plague since I heard it was going to be PG-13. I was on the fence with Sin City but decided to go with the animated Planes movie instead. Which seems to be a BIG difference. I am only in the hole 5 million with that flick as opposed to +100 million with Expendables 3.

Now we shall see what the final count is. IDK if that is with the bombs or not.