The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Some Hitch from the 40's sprinkled in with this list wouldn't hurt my feelings.

The Searchers is a pretty good western, it's biggest merits are the visuals. I still remember the shots of John Wayne in the snow even if I haven't seen this film in ages. Like others have said, I'm not even sure if it would have made my top 25 western. I prefer My Darling Clementine and The Man who Shot Liberty Valance from John Ford. The story never really grabbed me, the relationship between John Wayne and Natalie Wood always seemed problematic to me.

As for Ikiru it was absolutely on my list. One of the saddest, yet ''live loving'' films I know. By life loving I mean that even though the movie is incredibly sad, after watching it I feel an overwhelming feeling of luck to be alive, non only that it gives me the urge to be a better person, to help others, to transform the world to be a better place. Ikiru shows an example of someone who lived on automatic pilot, who didn't realize that living is something incredible and realized it later in life, when he know he would die. The way Kurosawa showed it is heartbreaking, Shimura's performance is one of my favorite of all time, just thinking about his facial expressions toward the end of the film gives me chills. Also the ending, absolutely stuns me every time. Beautiful film. It's my #12

I would love to see Shadow Of A Doubt but it would shock me.

I think NBNW has a great shot, my guess for next in line would be Rebecca.

Watched Searchers but haven't watched Ikiru. Didn't vote for either. I do rate Searchers highly, even though I am not really a fan of Wayne.

As for the Kubrick debate, I will throw a right fit if Dr. Strangleove doesn't break into the top 20 at least.
As for Hitchcock, I reckon Psycho might make it as the highest Hitchcock movie. Dial M for Murder is the dark horse.

As for Hitchcock, I reckon Psycho might make it at the highest. Dial M for Murder is the dark horse.
Dial M for Murder is my #3 Hitchcock, so I approve of this message.

Dial M For Murder is my favorite Hitchcock, for sure. But as a movie I can recognize it shows so much less skill (out of necessity, really) than his other works. It's obviously just a play. I just enjoy the story and the writing so much it makes up for the lack of technical skill on display. I wouldn't show it to someone to show them why Hitchcock is brilliant, for example, even though it's the film of his I enjoy the most.

Here are my Hitchcock rankings:

1. Vertigo
2. Rear Window
3. Dial M for Murder
4. The Birds
5. North by Northwest
6. Psycho
7. Strangers on a Train
8. Rebecca
9. Lifeboat
10. Notorious
11. Rope

Save for Rope (which I still like), I'd give all of these at least an 8/10. Also, I imagine my ranking of The Birds above Psycho will generate some controversy.

Ayyyyye. My man. The only thing I dislike about this post is that it should be #1.
The man has such a strong and prolific filmography that it's hard to rank. But rest assured that I love the film.

For what it's worth Alfred Hitchcock had seventeen titles place on the MoFo decades lists while Akira Kurosawa had eleven.

Hitchcock
1960s: Pyscho (#2) and The Birds (#18)
1950s: Rear Window (#2), Vertigo (#4), North by Northwest (#5), Dial M for Murder (#14),Strangers on a Train (#32), The Man Who Knew Too Much (#47), and To Catch a Thief (#86)
1940s: Rope (#8), Rebecca (#10), Notorious (#15), Shadow of a Doubt (#17), and Suspicion (#71)
1930s: The 39 Steps (#13) and The Lady Vanishes (#22)
Pre-'30s: The Lodger (#20)

Kurosawa
1980s: RAN (#17)
1960s: Yojimbo (#17), High & Low (#23), and Red Beard (#65)
1950s: The Seven Samurai (#6), Rashomon (#9), Ikiru (#16), Throne of Blood (#38), and The Hidden Fortress (#69)
1940s: The Drunken Angel (#54) and Stray Dog (#64)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Where did the Dial M cult suddenly materialize from? All at once. Co-ordinated. Ominous.

Like, there's nothing objectionable about it. It's good. But it's actually one of his movies that I will completely forget about when listing my favorites.

*looks over shoulder*

*begins to suspect this cat giving me disapproving looks is also a fan*

If I'm never heard from again, I hope everyone knows why.

Here are my Hitchcock rankings:

Also, I imagine my ranking of The Birds above Psycho will generate some controversy.

As much as your allegiance to the Dial M for Murder blood cult?

A system of cells interlinked
I think we're due another...

The ways the clues have been going so far, I am thinking we get two...