The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I plan to participate in it.
I will see the general film picks before I make a final decision. if the ratio of "not wanting to see" is greater than "wanting to see", I may not participate. I hate having to suffer through films I find a bore.

Some of you from the other forum need to venture out of General Movie Discussion and participate in our Hall of Fames. The next General HOF will be after Christmas I believe. @rauldc14 will be running it.

I have a foreign film to nominate...

Duly noted.

I will see the general film picks before I make a final decision. if the ratio of "not wanting to see" is greater than "wanting to see", I may not participate. I hate having to suffer through films I find a bore.
That's understandable. I'll see how it goes though.

I've seen the 3 movies shown so far.

I agree with Thief when he says that he lost interest when the focus of The Seventh Seal shifted from Antonius to the man who's with the circus. In general it's an extremely intelligent and well made movie, but it's a bit cold and hard to really get involved with in my view. Still an excellent film, just one who doesn't really fit my taste.

I've seen Brazil once 5 or 6 years ago I don't remember anything about it except that I didn't really like it. I was young though, it might deserve a rewatch.

I actively dislike Suspiria, I even rewatched it last year to be sure of what I thought. It's visually beautiful and has a very memorable and scary score, but it isn't enough!!! I never cared for the protagonist, all the characters seem fake, ''toony''. Since I never cared for the protagonist I never was interested or scared of things that happened to her. From Argento I prefer Deep Red, but I don't love it either. He's not a director I particularly enjoy.

We did an 80s teen movie Hall of Fame. It was fun. @Citizen Rules., myself and Bill and Ted ran it.
Bill and Ted??

I've seen Brazil once 5 or 6 years ago I don't remember anything about it except that I didn't really like it. I was young though, it might deserve a rewatch.

I never cared for the protagonist, all the characters seem fake, ''toony''.
The toony feel to the characters is actually part of the reason I love the film. It makes it feel like they're in a dollhouse world.

Some of us get creative on our threads.. I want to do a History HOF... and yes.. make the nominations look like newspaper headlines...

However, I am not that creative yet...

The trick is not minding
Some of us get creative on our threads.. I want to do a History HOF... and yes.. make the nominations look like newspaper headlines...

However, I am not that creative yet...
Still waiting on that HOF.....👀

Seems like a relatively low point total to get in, or am I wrong?

Idk what other countdowns were like in that regard
But this isn't like other countdowns. Other countdowns had a much smaller pool of films to choose from, so it makes sense that there will be a great consensus and therefore higher scores for those that make it for a decade or genre list. Literally every movie ever made was eligible for this one, there's not going to be a huge consensus, especially for the lower half of the list.

The trick is not minding
Anyone thinking of also hosting a 10 year anniversary of the various decades when the time comes?
It’s be interesting to see how much of a difference there would be.

2 Towers and Return could both easily be here, they're both in the IMDB Top 20 iirc
I never said they couldn't I'm just saying I think it would be better not have doubles to give those other movies a chance to shine on here instead of having sequels of that certain movie.

good manners was my one-pointer. had no idea what to expect going in and it ended up being one of the most beautiful and devastating movie-watching experiences i've ever had. i almost joined the fantasy hall of fame just so i could nominate it and get more people to see it but i couldn't commit to watching all the other movies, so everybody should just go watch it anyway. it's best to know as little as possible about it beforehand.

suspiria is a masterpiece that would be close to making my own top 100 so i'm very happy to see it here even if it didn't make my list. brazil and the seventh seal aren't favorites of mine but i like them both and i'm fine with their placement here.
criticker

Missed the quiz portion but to get my two cents in, Fight Club at 6 will be highest not to make countdown. I don't think any Marvel makes it. My gut tells me Dark Knight won't either but would be highest comic movie. Shining makes biggest jump. I think between 10 and 15.

Missed the quiz portion but to get my two cents in, Fight Club at 6 will be highest not to make countdown. I don't think any Marvel makes it. My gut tells me Dark Knight won't either but would be highest comic movie.
WB Seanc!

Seems like a relatively low point total to get in, or am I wrong?

Idk what other countdowns were like in that regard
Without checking them all, I think it's the highest. The #100 film from each of the decades lists recently:

90s: 42 points
80s: 49 points
70s: 64 points
60s: 59 points
50s: 46 points

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yeah I don't know why I initially felt that way. I remember thinking when 100 was posted on 90s countdown that Independence Day was a shoo-in, only needed more than 42 points and getting like 15-18 from me. But damn I was wrong.

Also very similarly with 80s. Brave Little Toaster needed one more vote to make it I believe because myself, Weeman, and another member for sure had it on our lists.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
HOLY SH*T that presentation!!!! Well done Yoda!

Well, first two films, first 2 I didn't watch... Damn, I was hoping this would be close to 100% by the end...

Movies need points to make it to the list?? I thought the most votes the movie gets, get put on the list