Song Tournament 31

Tools    

ROUND 1 - DAY 3

Quincy Jones - Razzamatazz vs José González - Slow Moves
("Slow Moves" isn't a bad listen, but it comes across way too sleepy when listening to it on the heels of such a vibrant, catchy track as "Razzamatazz.")

J.S. Ondara - Lebanon vs Waylon Jennings - Clyde
(Waylon is one of my favorite country artists, but I'm very impressed by the soulfulness of Ondara's voice.)

Fleetwood Mac - The Chain vs Lazy Eye - Silversun Pickups
(I like "The Chain" and a few other Fleetwood songs, but not enough to consider myself a fan. I wish the singer for Silversun Pickups didn't sound so much like a eunuch, but I like their Smashing Pumpkins-style sound.)

Kennelklubben - Höghusmiljonär vs Elton John - I Want Love
(That's a solid Elton John track, although the video didn't do it any favors since I've grown to hate RDJ. I also like the song I can't pronounce, but I feel like I need to be in a foreign club with strobe lights in order to fully enjoy it.)

Gin Wigmore - Hey Ho vs Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
(I'm sure I'd hear "Nothing Else Matters" within 30 minutes of switching the radio to any rock station, and I don't join these song tournaments to hear such played-out songs. One of the YouTube comments mentioned that "Hey Ho" has a James Bond quality to it, and I agree. I love the dangerous, sexy quality to the song/video, as well as Wigmore's voice (which does indeed sound a lot like Duffy, but I love Duffy's voice as well)).

A system of cells interlinked
I'd be curious to see a translation of the Kennelklubben track. Alas, for now, I will just be content to listen to it another 16 times.

Let the night air cool you off

Fleetwood Mac - The Chain vs Lazy Eye - Silversun Pickups -

I'd be curious to see a translation of the Kennelklubben track. Alas, for now, I will just be content to listen to it another 16 times.
I can type one up for you tomorrow.

It's just 2 votes I'm missing, I know TUS's is coiming in during the day... @mojofilter waiting on yours too before we move on.

Giving it all till 20:00 GMT+1 today and if nothing's happened by then, will give the results and move on. We've got an odd number that have already voted so there wouldn't be any ties.

Fleetwood Mac - The Chain vs Lazy Eye - Silversun Pickups -

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Looks like I finally have one going on to round 2.

I'll have to vote on today's set later. Unless I'm just not recognizing the titles, I'm not familiar with any of these songs and will have to dedicate some time to listening to them.

A system of cells interlinked
Pusha T - Santeria vs This Isn't Our Parade - Santigold Liked the more spacey vibe of the second track. First dude was a good rapper, but the music wasn't my cuppa.

Wintersun - Snow & Sorrow vs Motorpsycho - Every Dream Home - I am a huge Wintersun nut, but this was a harder choice than I thought it would be. Liked the second track a whole lot, but it kind of lost me after a while. Cool retro vibe, though. Pretty sure Wintersun doesn't have a shot here, but I will give them my vote regardless.

Come Pick Me Up - Ryan Adams vs Flatlinerz - Satanic Verses - Not a big fan of either, TBH. Went with the chill blues track.

Margo Price - Hands of Time vs Enigma - Sadeness - The second video was super quiet, so I had to search out a louder one. Meanwhile, I love me some Enigma! Brings me back to some good times in the early 90s with friends.

About Today - The National vs Kids See Ghosts - Freeee (Ghost Town, Pt. 2) - Digging the mood of the first track this morning.

ROUND 1 DAY 4

Pusha T - Santeria vs This Isn't Our Parade - Santigold
I didn't care for either of these but at least I didn't find this one grating.

Wintersun - Snow & Sorrow vs Motorpsycho - Every Dream Home
Ugh. 16.5 minutes of listening just to decide one match. Not overly fond of either but this one's closer to my tastes.

Come Pick Me Up - Ryan Adams vs Flatlinerz - Satanic Verses
I liked the harmonica parts at least.

Margo Price - Hands of Time vs Enigma - Sadeness
I didn't like Price's voice and Enigma has the benefit of nostalgia. I completely forgot about that song until I heard it again just now.

About Today - The National vs Kids See Ghosts - Freeee (Ghost Town, Pt. 2)
That repeated drawl on the word "free" was irritating, but otherwise I liked this. Surprising.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Suspect's Reviews

ROUND 1 - DAY 4

(I try to be open-minded toward all types of music, but I admittedly struggle with a lot of rap and hip-hop. Maybe that's just because my friends listen to a lot of sh*t rap, because I actually really like "Santeria." I was disappointed that the song was so short. Those Spanish parts are indeed en fuego. The second song was a pleasant listen, but it got repetitive pretty fast.)

(I like how the instrumentation of "Snow & Sorrow" evokes wintry imagery even before the lyrics kick in, but in the battle of 8+ minute songs, "Every Dream Home" did a better job of maintaining my interest with its multiple transitions.)

(I was just saying that I struggle with rap, but "Satanic Verses" is the type of weird, creative, darkly comic, macabre sh*t I gravitate toward, regardless of genre. Meanwhile, Ryan Adams has a voice that makes me want to punch my speakers.)

("Hands of Time" is just great songwriting. People sh*t on country, but no other genre of music features better storytelling. Margo Price is a recent discovery for me, but I've already heard enough to declare her one of the best modern country artists. She's got some Loretta Lynn in her. The Enigma song ain't bad, but it really only works for me if I'm sitting in a church pew seeing flashbacks of my slaughtered family before I head off to face their killer and his henchmen in a John Woo-style shootout with doves and sh*t.)

(I groaned when I saw Kanye's name on the second track. "Freeee" is certainly more sonically interesting than the first song, and if I was high right now I could possibly get into its spaced-out sound, but I'm not, so instead I just found the song a little obnoxious. "About Today" is perhaps too simplistic, but it succeeded in depressing me, and I think that was the point.)

Round 1 Day 4

Rap's kind of winning me over as of late, depending on its style, so I'm always on the lookout for something in that vein that I'd love. Liked this quite a bit, would be happy to hear it again. The second wasn't bad, it mainly just suffered from my flirtation with rap right now...

Not an easy vote, but Motorpsycho take it for me. I didn't realise I picked a log-ish long song from them (they never seem that long to me because I love their ****), I just picked the one I couldn't get out of my head at the time. They write ridiculously catchy riffs. In my top 5 bands, easily.

Straight up loved that Flatlinerz.

Difficult one as I liked Margo Price's voice but not so much the song.
And yaaaas SANDRA! She may never be Maria Magdalena but the bitch slaaaaays as the voice of Enigma.

Trippy rap/hip hop is my favourite kind in the genre.

Let the night air cool you off
If y'all can have patience with me, I'll vote sometime tomorrow evening. Had some busy life stuff happen yesterday and a major project due tomorrow. If you need to move on or my votes won't change anything that's fine too.