Joker 7/10

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

66 & Nowhere (Eric McClanahan, 2017)
+
Thirst (Jeffery Scott Lando, 2010)

Peacock (Michael Lander, 2010)

American Woman (Jake Scott, 2018)
+

Mom Sienna Miller worries when her teenage daughter goes missing but she has other worries too..
King of Herrings (Eddie Jemison & Sean Richardson, 2015)

The Remains (Thomas Della Bella, 2016)

Interstate 60: Episodes of the Road (Bob Gale, 2002)

Deadwood (Daniel Minahan, 2019)
+

Saloon owner Ian McShane has seen just about everything.
Men Go to Battle (Zachary Treitz, 2015)

Billy (Zachary Epcar, 2019)
+
Have a Nice Day (Jian Liu, 2017)

Keith (Todd Kessler, 2008)

High schoolers Elisabeth Harnois and Jesse McCartney find their differences bring them together.
Here Come the Nelsons (Frederick De Cordova, 1952)

Tainted Love (Will Moore, 2014)

Cold Skin (Xavier Gens, 2017)

Tigers Are Not Afraid (Issa López, 2017)
+

Mexican children have to protect themselves from gangsters who'll use them in child trafficking.
Buffalo (Michael McCallum, 2015)

Receiver (Jenny Brady, 2019)

Sweet, Sweet Lonely Girl (A.D. Calvo, 2016)

One Cut of the Dead (Shin'ichirô Ueda, 2017)

Low-budget tutorial/satire on a zombie apocalypse shoot.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Akira (1988) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

Stuber 8/10

La haine - 1995

Hubert: Sometimes you feel so f*ckin' small...
Vinz: Got any more bullsh*t wisdom?
Vinz: "The early bird catches the worm."
Vinz: "A stitch in time saves nine."
Vinz: "Haste makes waste."
Hubert: "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity."
Vinz: I save that one for special occasions.

This lines represent my image of France. France reminds me a lot of United States, they're both founded on a cliche. And the cliche is beautiful, but is only viable for the few, not to the many. This film also remind me of the past. During the Portuguese crises we emigrated to France trying to find opportunities, that was the case of my father. These projects in the suburbs were the only place we could afford, the cultural diversity was shocking, completely different cultures, religions living in the same place. My father always said that France is a barrel of dynamite waiting for someone to spark the first light, we had a small demonstration not that long ago. The dark atmosphere, the photography in some scenes and the overall performances are the plus.

The trick is not minding

Joe is a film that wants to pretend to stand for something but doesn’t quite live up to its premise.
Seeing it again, after the earlier debate about violent film made me want to, only reinforces that belief.
It starts off with a fathers (Compton) revenge against his daughter’s (played with naive innocence by a young Susan Sarandon) boyfriend, who had supplied her with drugs that caused her to OD.
Afterwards, he meets Joe. Joe is your average (haha) racist, misogynistic, homophobic, gun toting lower class worker. (He is the character displayed prominently in the poster) He cuts a stark contrast to Compton, who is rich.
Despite their differences they get along, and the movie slips into a social commentary of sorts. (Lower class vs upper class, but even that is hardly touched upon)
All this leads up to the violent ending I have mentioned previously in another thread. I won’t spoil it, but the last freeze frame is meant to invite conversation about violence and it’s repercussions.
Unfortunately, the movie never delivers on it’s themes. And we never really get any actual insight into Compton.
2 out of 4.

Black Mother (Khalik Allah, 2018)

Sadly doesn't deliver much of interest

Welcome to the human race...
Dawn of the Dead (2004) -

how does the guy whose specialty is slow-motion end up directing a movie about fast zombies

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers and Sleepaway Camp 3: Teenage Wasteland, starring Pamela Springsteen as Angela Baker.

This was made at a time where dark humor was beginning to become a trope in late 80's horror films (ask "Chop-Top" Sawyer or Freddy Krueger from Nightmare on Elm Street 3 on) and writer Fritz Gordon (aka Michael Hitchcock) and director/producer Michael A. Simpson decided to inject the dark humor in the first of the two sequels, Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers. Recently watching a documentary on the making of the original film, creator Robert Hiltzik revealed that he only licensed the name for the sequels as he pitched some ideas to Double Helix Films, but they opted to go a different direction.

Back to Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers, we learn that after the events of the original film, Angela Baker had checked in to a mental institution and during her time there, she underwent an operation where she is now fully female. Felissa Rose said in the documentary that she did audition to reprise the role and didn't find the humor in the role so she was happy to not return with Springsteen taking over. The kill scenes here are quite fun, taking elements of Blood Feast, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and even a dose of Texas Chainsaw Massacre in a homage scene where two male campers decide to prank Angela by disguising themselves as two iconic slashers only to get the tables turned when Angela, disguised as a third iconic slasher, puts both of them out of their misery. With the dark humor injected, Springsteen does IMO give it her all and even proves she doesn't need the name recognition (which apparently the cast didn't even know who her famous brother was until years later). She isn't the only one with a famous last name and family as the innocent camper Molly, who Angela bonds with, is played by Renee Estevez (who is the sister of Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez).

So this sequel I enjoyed....on the other hand...

Sleepaway Camp 3: Teenage Wasteland is a (pun totally intended) waste of a third installment. The film was shot back-to-back with Unhappy Campers, but it felt like it was more rushed and bland compared to either the original film and this second part. I can't blame Springsteen for her performance here. The issue lies in the rushed script and production. It does revolve a good idea in that the camp in the second film has been replaced with another camp. That's the good piece of things, as well as a connection to the second film as one of the counselors in a rehab program is the cop father of a victim of the 2nd film. However, the kill scenes are more average (with the exception of one IMO) and there aren't really any characters that seem to be completely sympathetic, even Tracy Griffith's Marcia's crush on a bad boy just seems "meh".

Yet another film that looks right up my street. You can't go wrong with lighthouses for atmosphere – The Fog, Half Light, Doctor Who: Horror of Fang Rock are just three examples coming to mind.