20th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Thanks...Have you seen the 1970s Island of Dr Moreau? I've not but always wanted to.
I managed to catch the last half of it on tv once, but I haven't seen the whole thing. I only saw part of the version from the 30s as well, though I've been intending to revisit that one for awhile.

@neiba with that PTA nom. Hell yes! Love Phantom Thread hope to see it get some love here. But overall these are all great noms! Might check in here once in a while! being on and off the forums I see I totally missed the start of this. 20th HoF, huh.... damn. Glad to see something so awesome still be going!

To me that's Al Pacino's movie, and I even favor James Caan over Brando in it.

To me Pacino is in all three, the films are defined by second leads...

I - Brando
II - DeNiro
III - Garcia

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It's good in that it's well made, but I didn't enjoy it.

I agree with this statement about Phantom Thread. I think the reason that I didn't enjoy it was because there's not a likable character in the movie. (Alma started out okay, but she got worse as the movie went on.) I thought that Reynolds and Alma deserved each other, but I wouldn't have cared if they both died at the end of the movie.

Cool Hand Luke (Stuart Rosenberg, 1967)
Imdb

Date Watched: 10/20/19
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 20th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by edarsenal
Rewatch: Yes.

In many ways, Cool Hand Luke is a showcase of the fragile male psyche and the need some men feel to one-up each other - no matter how stupid the competition may be. Everything's a bet. Everything's a challenge. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I got a little too much of Dragline's "my darling Luke" and "Hey, Babalugats. We got a bet here." and all that crap about his "Lucille" doing her titty car wash.

But at the same time it's a showcase of the determination some men feel to do things their own way and not be confined by anything -whether they be rules, chains, or fences. And this was the aspect of the film that drew me in and made me care. Dragline grated on my nerves a bit, but I can't deny that George Kennedy turned in a fine performance and of course so did Paul Newman.

Ultimately an enjoyable and respectable film, but not one that will ever be a personal favorite.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
High Noon

One of my favorite Westerns of all time easily, it also helps that it was one of the first films I bought as I was first getting introduced to classic films as a hobby.

At the forefront of the movie is the great performance by Gary Cooper, I'd say the best of his that I have seen. I love how his character struggles to find help for the impending soon that the town and himself will face. And it really doesn't stop there for performances. I could go on and on but Kelly, Jurado, Chaney, Mitchell and definitely Van Cleef among others were really all terrific in their roles. They set the tone for the film.

Pacing is perfect for a Western honestly. It feels like the length of the film is exactly what it should be and exactly what it would be in real time with a scenario like this. To that I give my hats off to Zinnemann, who is a good director but this is certainly my favorite from him.

One of the better endings to film to though, and edge of your seat type of ending that gives it's viewers a lot to look forward to.

It's almost a perfect film for me.

I think I’ll go with Cool Hand Luke next now that I’m done with all those slashers.

Monsters, Inc (2001)

After watching Monsters, Inc last night, I pondered all today on just what type of review I would do. Yeah, I think about HoFs way too much

What I was thinking was, how do I review a film and rate it when I'm not really into it's genre? Usually I try to review a movie from a personal basis and truth be told even though there's been plenty of HoF movies I hated, there really hasn't been many that I would say were just plain bad movie making. So this made me think, 'what is the goal of an HoF?' Am I just to vote for my favorites? Or should I be thinking more utilitarian and voting for the film that's most deserving of induction into MoFo's Hall of Fame? Decisions, decisions

Depending on how you read this, you might think I disliked Monsters, Inc. and I'm looking for a nice way to say so. That would be a wrong conclusion. I liked Monsters, Inc. I thought it was well done, well animated, with some real talent doing the voices. I was really into the first couple scenes, but then when the film switched to a fight against good and bad and became an action-adventure chase, it lost me. And yet people love chase scenes in all types of movies, but not me.

If I had my druthers, when the human child entered the world of the monsters, the child would have been lost and Sully and his sidekick would have had to search high and low through monster world for the wayward kid. That would have gave us a bird's eye view of how the monsters live. That would've been the tops for me, but this was made more simply with kids in mind and that's OK because for the target audience it worked.

So how do I rank this? I'm going to think about it.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	1129
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	57900  

Ghostbusters

This was a good movie for me to revisit. I saw it a few times back in the 80's including at the cinema when it was released, but not at all since. It's never been a favorite but I've always been a fan. I was curious to see how my feelings have changed, and as it turns out I don't think they have.

Basically I love it until a little past halfway through when a character becomes possessed. From then I think it takes a step down. This is a cast that I'm extremely fond of, although I always wonder how it would have turned out if John Belushi hadn't passed away. He was the closest thing I had to an idol, but of course Bill Murray is phenomenal as his replacement. The only thing that kind of bothers me is the fact that they randomly add a 4th Ghostbuster to the team. I like Ernie Hudson, but I can't help but feel like they just wanted to get a black character into the movie. That would be fine but at least give him something to do. There are not a ton of post-70's comedies that are suitable nominations for a General HoF but this is one of them. I'm glad I watched it again.

Interesting thoughts Citizen. I might nominate another animation for 21rst to continue this little reviewing dilemma. A few people in this hall of fame have said Monsters, Inc. is good “for what it sets out to do.” Are you guys saying that it’s good for a kids movie? For animation? I just love animation because it expands the physical and mental world... I think Roger Ebert said “Live action films show the real world. Animation shows it’s essence.” I do love my essence

Interesting thoughts Citizen. I might nominate another animation for 21rst to continue this little reviewing dilemma.
That's cool by me. My wife liked Monsters, Inc and I liked it OK. But being animated was fine, I just wanted a different story.

A few people in this hall of fame have said Monsters, Inc. is good “for what it sets out to do.” Are you guys saying that it’s good for a kids movie? For animation?
I don't know what others meant, but I meant: good for general audiences including kids. That's not meant to be a put down, I think most Disney animated films are targeted towards a younger audience, which is fine, I like G rated stuff.

Interesting thoughts Citizen. I might nominate another animation for 21rst to continue this little reviewing dilemma.
That's cool by me. My wife liked Monsters, Inc and I liked it OK. But being animated was fine, I just wanted a different story.

A few people in this hall of fame have said Monsters, Inc. is good “for what it sets out to do.” Are you guys saying that it’s good for a kids movie? For animation?
I don't know what others meant, but I meant: good for general audiences including kids. That's not meant to be a put down, I think most Disney animated films are targeted towards a younger audience, which is fine, I like G rated stuff.
They are targeted for younger kids for sure. There’s just something I don’t like about calling it a “kids movie” (which I know you didn’t) that makes me a little annoyed. Because then I feel like I can’t enjoy it because I’m not the right age. What do you think of Fantasia? I think it’s much more of an adult film than a kids film, and I enjoy it more now than when I was little.