Lets Talk Tom Savini

Tools    

express your thoughts of who in my eyes is one of the best special effects artist around today? Yes he's also an actor!

I've seen a bunch of his smaller roles like in From Dusk Til Dawn, Dawn Of The Dead (2004), Land Of The Dead, and Planet Terror. I haven't really seen many of his effect work, other than in Friday The 13th.

Dead of Night (1974)
Martin (1977)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Effects (1980)
Nightmare (1981)
Creepshow 2 (1987)
Necronomicon(1993)

These are some of the movies he did special effects on not saying there great movies but the effects are pretty good in my eyes.

He and Rick Baker are like the two top special effects guys, huh? I always confuse their work, too.

But yeah, he's amazing. Has done some great stuff in the past. From what I've seen/remember, his best work was on Day of the Dead.

I'm a big fan, definetly one of, if not the biggest influence on makeup and whatnot today

A system of cells interlinked
Savini was so great. He still is, actually, he just doesn't work in effects anymore, as he retired from that years ago. He started a school of special effects, while also getting into directing and acting on several projects in the 90s, which started with the remake of Night of the Living Dead. It seems these days, acting is his thing, and you can catch him in various b-roles from time to time, such as Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror.

I just watched a documentary hosted by Savini recently, called His Name Was Jason which chronicles the history of everyone's favorite invincible slasher.