Favorite Remakes

Tools    

I could likely list 100 or so great remakes...

The Maltese Falcon(1941)

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)

A BIG DITTO for these three. Wonderful films.

So here's a question that's maybe a matter of semantics: Do you consider different book adaptations to be remakes of each other?

For example. there are several film adaptations of things like Jane Eyre or Far from the Madding Crowd. But I don't consider these to be remakes of the earlier versions. I consider them to be separate adaptations.

With The Maltese Falcon, I don't feel like the reference point is the earlier film--I feel like the reference point is the novel.

Where do you guys land on this (admittedly possibly petty point)?
It's a difficult line to draw sometimes. The Thing is based on a book, yet is mentioned quite a bit here. John Carpenter was a fan of the original movie I believe, but his version is often credited as being a more faithful re-adaption than a remake.

I'll give Herzog's Nosferatu a mention. It has that unique, picturesque yet sober realistic 'uncinematic' feel that early Herzog movies had. I think that pairs well with supernatural horror.
I recently loved Takeshi Kitano's offbeat Zatoichi as well.

If we're counting re-adaptions as well, the 1959 version of Hound of the Baskervilles might be my favorite Hammer product.
And though it's been a while since I've seen The Wages of Fear, I love the more vibrant setting and nasty characters in Sorcerer.

It's a difficult line to draw sometimes. The Thing is based on a book, yet is mentioned quite a bit here. John Carpenter was a fan of the original movie I believe, but his version is often credited as being a more faithful re-adaption than a remake.
Ah. See, I am not familiar with the source material--I didn't realize that there was an original novel.

I'll give Herzog's Nosferatu a mention. It has that unique, picturesque yet sober realistic 'uncinematic' feel that early Herzog movies had. I think that pairs well with supernatural horror.
I recently loved Takeshi Kitano's offbeat Zatoichi as well.
And you feel like these are more "remakes" than just later adaptations?

Again, my interest here is just in how people mentally categorize when there's a novel source. For example, I don't think I'd ever call a version of Pride and Prejudice a remake, unless I felt like it was heavily leaning on imagery or other artistic choices from an earlier film.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Thing

The Crazies is an underrated remake...there I said it.

Suspect's Reviews

And you feel like these are more "remakes" than just later adaptations?

Again, my interest here is just in how people mentally categorize when there's a novel source. For example, I don't think I'd ever call a version of Pride and Prejudice a remake, unless I felt like it was heavily leaning on imagery or other artistic choices from an earlier film.
I guess so. Herzog actually recreated some of the original Nosferatu imagery (starting with the Max Schreck long fingered bald albino look), and I'm not aware of any source material for Zatoichi other than the movies.

I don't know if it's worth arguing about in most cases, but I agree that some perennial re-adaptions probably shouldn't count. I wouldn't call the 90s Frankenstein and Dracula movies remakes, for instance, but I wouldn't care too much if others did.

I don't know if it's worth arguing about in most cases, but I agree that some perennial re-adaptions probably shouldn't count. I wouldn't call the 90s Frankenstein and Dracula movies remakes, for instance, but I wouldn't care too much if others did.
Yeah, I'm not looking to throw down with anyone who calls The Maltese Falcon a remake. It's just interesting to see people citing films as "remakes" that don't fit my mental category of the term.