Cricket's top 100 horror movies

→ in
Tools    

As a kid wandering around the video store, I was always drawn to the cover I Spit On Your Grave. A bloodied and bruised woman with torn clothes, ass cheeks hanging out, carrying a giant knife? That looked like the most awesome movie in the world, but I was far too young to rent it. I finally watched it a few years ago and I was fairly disappointed. The movie was nowhere near as disturbing as I expected it to be. However, the poster and the title of the movie are still all-time favorites. Too bad the movie itself isn't very good. For rape and revenge, give me the far superior Last House on the Left.

I think The Descent is one of the best horror movies of the 2000's. I had no interest in exploring caves underneath the ground anyway, but I sure as hell never will after watching that movie.

Stir of Echoes has popped up on a few of these horror lists lately, which is great to see, since I always thought it was hugely underrated and underseen. I've owned it on DVD for years.

Not seen Mother's Day or Sleepaway Camp.

I would tend to agree with you on I Spit on Your Grave. I think often times it's external circumstances that can dictate feelings, and I first saw the movie as a kid, at the drive-in when I was supposed to be sleeping in the back seat. I believe that has a lot to do with my outlook towards it.

I just wanted to expand on Mother's Day a little because I don't necessarily think it's a very good film, and I wouldn't recommend it to many people. I found the movie to be surprisingly and unpleasantly nasty. I didn't enjoy watching it in the traditional sense, but it affected me, and it stayed with me. The 2nd time I watched it, my wife watched it too. She's just a casual movie watcher; I can put on a great movie, and she can fall asleep or lose interest. She sat up and watched this whole movie with no problem, and afterwards said she didn't like it. It was because of the content and what type of movie it is, not because it's extremely gory. I don't know if it would disturb everyone in the same way it did me. As you get older, different things start to bother you.

Godoggo-

Please report back on The Woman; I just looked that up and it sounds promising.
The Woman is f*cking outstanding. Watch it!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Have you seen the original Mother's Day? It's a Troma flick, so it's even more over the top but not so disturbing. Still, it has the Drano/HIB (Hatchet in the Balls)/TV Set finale.

I've only seen I Spit On Your Grave a couple of times all the way through. However, I've seen it another 3 or 4 times by ff'ing to the last minute or two of the rape scene, building up all the hatred I have, then freewheeling to the end.

I'd recorded Mother's Day, but deleted it before I got around to seeing it. The Descent is pretty good, but I prefer it before the talc-covered Gollum's show up. I thought it was far more tense and claustrophobic. I really like Stir Of Echoes, though like most films, I've not seen it for a long time. Sleepaway Camp I've seen a couple of times, but not since I was a kid.

When I was about 13 or 14, I got I Spit On Your Grave on VHS. I felt AWFUL watching it. I can totally understand Roger Ebert's zero star review of the film. I mean, it is just a very, very, very prolonged, brutal rape scene. She's covered in blood and mud, screaming, as guy after guy pounds away at her.

I actually picked up the blu-ray for I Spit On Your Grave last week. Best Buy had it cheap with their collection of horror movies for Halloween.

Anyone want to do a commentary? Miss Vicky?

Have you seen the original Mother's Day? It's a Troma flick, so it's even more over the top but not so disturbing. Still, it has the Drano/HIB (Hatchet in the Balls)/TV Set finale.
I've always known about it from my days at the video store, but I never watched it. I watched the trailer after I watched the remake. It didn't inspire me to see it.

I Spit on Your Grave is not a good film. Neither is the remake.

Stir Of Echoes was rather mediocre to me, I don't think it's a horror either.

The Descent is awesome and I Spit On Your Grave is one disturbing very good movie !

I Spit on Your Grave is not a good film. Neither is the remake.
You're right, yet somehow it's a movie that's still discussed over 35 years later. There's something to be said for that.

You're right, yet somehow it's a movie that's still discussed over 35 years later. There's something to be said for that.
Valid point, it certainly has it's place in horror cinema history.

Not especially, but it was more serious than the original. It definitely went in more disturbing directions.
A theme that upsets me is say when the bad guys pit 2 people who love each other, against one another. That bothers me, and it plays on that multiple times.

I can't stand the animal cruelty in either Holocaust or Ferox.
Tell that to Japanese who kill 100M of sharks per year for a da*m disgusting fin soup. No Natural predator in ocean = no earth...